Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Squeezing the Sicilian — Khalifman/Soloviov (Read 26517 times)
doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Squeezing the Sicilian — Khalifman/Soloviov
Reply #25 - 06/17/20 at 10:29:49
Post Tools
I wonder why it first said april and now still is delayed. Hopefully not cancelled?

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Reply #24 - 05/10/20 at 18:12:08
Post Tools
Unfortunately, the book is delayed (not by too long, I hope)
https://www.chess-stars.com/Future_Plans.html

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #23 - 03/16/20 at 02:03:37
Post Tools
Personally I find 3...c5 4 exd5 Qxd5 the most annoying line against the French Tarrasch (although I don't meet it as often as 3...Nf6 or 3...dxe4). I think this is also meant to be Black's "best" choice objectively. So you could (optimistically) make the case that the c3 Sicilian with 2...e6 and exd5 ...exd5 is an improved French Tarrasch for White, as Black didn't go for this ...Qxd5 line.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #22 - 03/15/20 at 13:57:35
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 03/15/20 at 01:03:45:
btw, I always liked White in lines where Black goes ...e6 early. Not that White has an advantage, but it always felt a little more pleasant to be White.

Fair enough: I should probably just learn to play these positions properly. But, if one is going to let Black play ...d5 and ...exd5 in the Sicilian, surely the Tarrasch is the obvious choice against the French? It's only 3...c5 4.exd5 exd5 that puts me off the Tarrasch.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #21 - 03/15/20 at 01:03:45
Post Tools
btw, I always liked White in lines where Black goes ...e6 early. Not that White has an advantage, but it always felt a little more pleasant to be White. On the other hand, I never really got anything I liked after ...d5 + ...Nf6 + ...Bg4 or ...Nf6 w/o ...e6. I'm not that much of a c3 Sicilian guy anymore, but I did play 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 e6 3 c3 in a game a couple years ago.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #20 - 03/15/20 at 00:36:17
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 03/14/20 at 16:47:34:
When Everyman can apparently make a profit from the incoherent ramblings of Lakdawala, surely it's inconceivable that a new repertoire series by Khalifman won't sell?

Khalifman/Soloviov will sell. I suspect there won't be much overlap with Lakdawala customers.

Ramblings -- such a good word.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #19 - 03/14/20 at 17:06:02
Post Tools
Inferior? Maybe very slightly, as c2-c3 this early in an exd5 ...exd5 French Tarrasch is not usually considered to be the most accurate move order, but I still think it's slightly more pleasant for White. Anyway, IMO, it's more than White gets after 2...Nf6.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #18 - 03/14/20 at 16:47:34
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 03/13/20 at 16:51:52:
I suspect they are waiting to see how well the first few titles in the series are received before forging full steam ahead.

When Everyman can apparently make a profit from the incoherent ramblings of Lakdawala, surely it's inconceivable that a new repertoire series by Khalifman won't sell?

Tauromachie wrote on 03/14/20 at 15:55:43:
I am not much concerned about 2..d5, the IQP positions are quite easy to play for white.

I agree, but I'm concerned about 2...e6 3.d4 d5 4.exd5 exd5. I have an appalling score with the Tarrasch against the French, and this is supposed to be an inferior version of that. Didn't Tony Kosten say that 2...e6 was probably the best answer to 2.c3?

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Reply #17 - 03/14/20 at 16:17:06
Post Tools
Tauromachie wrote on 03/14/20 at 15:55:43:
But I would most certainly bet on the 2 Knights against the Caro and the Tarrasch against the French, which I would be happy to see.

Agreed with the 2N vs. the Caro. Quite a few books have covered the French Tarrasch. My guess would be the advance variation or maybe even the exchange...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #16 - 03/14/20 at 16:00:05
Post Tools
ehpotsirhc wrote on 03/13/20 at 02:50:50:
By the way, does anyone know how we can move this thread to the proper forum? (c3 Sicilian)

A moderator can do it. Top left in thr browser window.

IP Logged

Tauromachie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 03/14/20 at 15:55:43
Post Tools
I second ehpotsirhcs view, quite irritating.

This book will be pretty interesting. I am not much concerned about 2..d5, the IQP positions are quite easy to play for white. I wonder however what they will do about 2..Nf6 with 9.Qe2. I highly doubt they will go for the aggressive treatment with 10.Nc3 and rather suspect 10.Rd1!? like in the Leela game.

I enjoyed their work on the spanish four knights and I like the overall tone of this new repertoire series. Hopefully it will be a straightforward 5 Volume series - with Volume 5 covering all minor lines besides 1..e5, 1..c5, 1..c6 and 1..e6. I do not feel much incentive to buy 10 books.

You could also just go for the exchange lines against both 1..c6 and 1..c6, cover both the caro and the french in one book and safe at least 200 pages of analyses Smiley

But I would most certainly bet on the 2 Knights against the Caro and the Tarrasch against the French, which I would be happy to see.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #14 - 03/13/20 at 16:51:52
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 03/13/20 at 00:05:51:
TopNotch wrote on 03/12/20 at 21:10:09:
Regarding 1.e4 c5 2.c3 e6 3.d4 d5 I have no doubt it will be 4. exd5 since 4. e5 will take too much space to cover, having said that I've noticed that the Advance French is becoming popular again so when they get around to Squeezing the French that will be a serious candidate.

Assuming that the series is eventually intended to be a complete repertoire, wouldn't it be reasonable just to say "See our forthcoming book Squeezing the French"?  Surely there were plenty of such cross-references in the Anand and Kramnik series?

I suspect they are waiting to see how well the first few titles in the series are received before forging full steam ahead. On an aside I was watching the Banter Blitz match between Magnus and Cheparinov on Youtube yesterday and was blown away by the ease in which Cheparinov was dispatched, Chep won the first game, a nice one by the way, in a first to 8.5 match. Then Magnus made a matter of fact comment like 'I guess I'm a bit too casual and will have to take this a little more seriously' and proceeded to deliver a jaw dropping beat down that was immensely enjoyable to watch, its ridiculous how much this guy sees and considers in a 3 minute game. After winning the first game, Cheparinov didn't win another and the match ended 8.5 1.5. 

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Reply #13 - 03/13/20 at 02:50:50
Post Tools
By the way, does anyone know how we can move this thread to the proper forum? (c3 Sicilian)

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc

Reply #12 - 03/13/20 at 02:49:22
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 03/12/20 at 09:22:29:
I'm curious to know how they will meet 1.e4 c5 2.c3 e6 3.d4 d5. Their recommendation will presumably be influenced by their plans against the French, assuming that they intend to cover that. (The next one in the pipeline is on the Caro-Kann -- perhaps the Panov, given the Alapin's tendency to produce IQP positions?) There may be a clue to this in the introduction, but that seems to have been accidentally omitted from the excerpt!

I doubt that we will see the Panov against the Caro as there is not much new there to report as far as I know, more likely it will be the Advanced, but I am betting more on the Two Knight's Variation as there has been many new exciting developments there and the positions are promising and fun to play. Regarding 1.e4 c5 2.c3 e6 3.d4 d5 I have no doubt it will be 4. exd5 since 4. e5 will take too much space to cover, having said that I've noticed that the Advance French is becoming popular again so when they get around to Squeezing the French that will be a serious candidate. By the way I am pouring through Squeezing 1.e4 e5 and quite enjoying it, lots of fresh analysis and the evaluations look to be more realistic than many of the other hyperbolic Repertoire books out there.

Early days yet, but I'm really loving the premise and the execution of this Series so far.   

Yes, I'm guessing it'll be the 2N vs. the Caro-Kann, but we'll see... I agree that their e4 e5 book is great. Looking forward to see the other ones in the series

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #11 - 03/13/20 at 00:05:51
Post Tools
Regarding 1.e4 c5 2.c3 e6 3.d4 d5 I have no doubt it will be 4. exd5 since 4. e5 will take too much space to cover, having said that I've noticed that the Advance French is becoming popular again so when they get around to Squeezing the French that will be a serious candidate.

Assuming that the series is eventually intended to be a complete repertoire, wouldn't it be reasonable just to say "See our forthcoming book Squeezing the French"?  Surely there were plenty of such cross-references in the Anand and Kramnik series?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo