Latest Updates:
Normal Topic eBooks Severely Outdated Here! (Read 2735 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: eBooks Severely Outdated Here!
Reply #4 - 03/22/20 at 09:44:20
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 03/21/20 at 18:26:30:
FrenchRefutes1e4 wrote on 03/21/20 at 01:44:17:
Not sure how you figure it is easy to downloan the ChessPub Guides and associated game into one file.

Many years ago I added a couple of PGN 'eBooks' to the downloads for subscribers who didn't have ChessBase or Windows ... and got lots of criticism here, with members saying that they could easily do the same themselves.

Only way I see to get to the ChessPub Guides is through the PGN archive.  If I go to the PGN Archive, and pull up the file on the Winawer 7.Qg4 that covers 7...Kf8 and 7...Nf5, and I downloan that PGN, I basically get a portion of the PDF in PGN format, and not the games associated with it.  So it looks like you then have to search individually for each game listed in that file, one by one, so I don't see how you can get the associated games into "one file".  Looks to me like a ton of files with 1 game each.  What am I doing wrong?

If you don't already have all the games on your computer then you can go to the PGN Games Archive and search for , say, all the games between ECO C15 and C19. In the file you download put all the 'ChessPub Guides' to the beginning and fix the sort order. Now you have your 'eBook' you can just play through any 'Guide' and whenever you reach a line or game quotation that interests you click on the 'Change Reference Database' drop-down list in the 'Home' ribbon to use your downloaded 'eBook' games base and it will display all the games in it with that position.

I like the playable e-books, but don't use them too often. But as Tony sees that there are limited download, I am not going to argue with that. In that case the authors should spend their valuable time on the analysis and answering question from the forum instead.

However, I haven't even thought about creating my own guides like Tony describes. Maybe just add a sticky thread about it, which could also contain an explanation why some guides are not updated?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #3 - 03/21/20 at 18:26:30
Post Tools
Not sure how you figure it is easy to downloan the ChessPub Guides and associated game into one file.

Many years ago I added a couple of PGN 'eBooks' to the downloads for subscribers who didn't have ChessBase or Windows ... and got lots of criticism here, with members saying that they could easily do the same themselves.

Only way I see to get to the ChessPub Guides is through the PGN archive.  If I go to the PGN Archive, and pull up the file on the Winawer 7.Qg4 that covers 7...Kf8 and 7...Nf5, and I downloan that PGN, I basically get a portion of the PDF in PGN format, and not the games associated with it.  So it looks like you then have to search individually for each game listed in that file, one by one, so I don't see how you can get the associated games into "one file".  Looks to me like a ton of files with 1 game each.  What am I doing wrong?

If you don't already have all the games on your computer then you can go to the PGN Games Archive and search for , say, all the games between ECO C15 and C19. In the file you download put all the 'ChessPub Guides' to the beginning and fix the sort order. Now you have your 'eBook' you can just play through any 'Guide' and whenever you reach a line or game quotation that interests you click on the 'Change Reference Database' drop-down list in the 'Home' ribbon to use your downloaded 'eBook' games base and it will display all the games in it with that position.

IP Logged

FrenchRefutes1e4
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/21/20 at 01:44:17
Post Tools
Not sure how you figure it is easy to downloan the ChessPub Guides and associated game into one file.  Obviously I am clueless on how to use this site.

With a playable eBook, one could set up the position on the board after 7...Kf8 and then search for all games of that position.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 03/18/20 at 09:49:41
Post Tools
FrenchRefutes1e4 wrote on 03/16/20 at 20:18:50:
Why are the Classical and Rubinstein and Advance eBooks often updated (latest being this month for both), but the Winawer and Tarrasch severely outdated (2006 and 2004, respectively)?

The Classical and Advance eBooks are 'new style' with clickable game links in the 'Guides' whereas the others are 'old style' and will never be updated. I could produce new style versions of them instead, but as there is little demand there doesn't seem to be much point.
As has been pointed out many times on this Forum, the ChessBase files are useless for most subscribers, and anyway it is easy to download the 'ChessPub Guides' and associated games into one file to make PGN versions of them.

IP Logged

FrenchRefutes1e4
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

eBooks Severely Outdated Here!
03/16/20 at 20:18:50
Post Tools
Why are the Classical and Rubinstein and Advance eBooks often updated (latest being this month for both), but the Winawer and Tarrasch severely outdated (2006 and 2004, respectively)?

I get that it can be manual work and not something that can legitimately be maintained every month, but once a year?  14 and 16 years gets a big fat "Come on, Man!".

There's an easy way to space it out so that you don't have a ton of work to do at one time.  Reset them all now, then, in January (month 1), update the ebooks in section 1, February, section 2, March, section 3, etc.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo