Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Modernized French Volume 2 (Read 2308 times)
ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Re: Modernized French Volume 2
Reply #14 - 08/30/20 at 02:44:46
Post Tools
@mn
I hadn't thought of that. An interesting psychological effect, maybe..

@AOC
I'm sure you're not completely wrong. He does say that in the 10. Re1 variation, Black's own  play is based on a queenside pawn storm to shred White's pawn structure. I guess, taking your hint, typical Black play after that is just to immobilize the weakened pawns and being the pieces to squares like ...Ne4 (or ...Rc8 or whatever) that attack them (duh). Once White has pawn weaknesses too, the IQP is not such an issue.

According to Miedema, White's plan of getting a bishop to d4 and the knight maneuver Nd2-f1-e3 (hitting d5 and potentially going to f5) is not some one-off computer move, but a thematic plan in the 10. Re1 branch, which if executed with impunity would make it hard to avoid exchanging or sidelining our precious bishop. He therefore says to hold off ...Nc5-e4 here unless it wins a tempo. The 10. Nb3 line is a different story.

I get the feeling Miedema uses correspondence games, and the computer in general. for understanding strategy, à la AlphaZero. He sometimes rejects the computers' recommendations or says they produce impossible play. He corrects the moves of the likes of Korchnoi and Ivanchuk on strategic grounds in light of these researches. The book has a pragmatic streak. In that sense it reflects a Carlsen-era style of preparation. I must admit that many of his analyses of weak Black alternatives clarify the themes, and that that is important in variations like this that allow piece play and a large variety of decent moves--there is a wide tree. So making "some random [sensible] move" is probably both good and inevitable, sooner rather than later, as long as one has absorbed the strategies. I'm learning a lot.
« Last Edit: 08/30/20 at 20:16:55 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

mn
God Member

Reply #13 - 08/28/20 at 21:16:31
Post Tools
Given what Rene said, I was not surprised to check a database and see that, yep, Miedema plays the French Tarrasch with White.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #12 - 08/28/20 at 19:33:02
Post Tools
I can't really argue with IM + Leela + Stockfish + correspondence games (implying yet more IMs + Leelas + Stockfishes). If Miedema thinks more minor pieces need to come off because of real dangers to black's position then I suppose that's the case.

But I wasn't completely wrong, either. What Miedema said about controlling the e-file is similar to what I said about space and activity. Trades generally favor the player with the better pawn structure. However, the player who initiates a trade falls behind a little bit, so rather than black taking a white piece which white retakes, black should prefer for white to take a black piece which black retakes. Tempo play like that is how black can gain control of the e-file.

Another point is if the only way to understand "correct" play in this type of position is by consulting an engine, then it might be worthwhile making some random move OTB, and rely on the fact your opponent can't use an engine either. So instead of preparing a long sequence of incomprehensibly best moves, prepare a very slightly inferior (according to the engine) alternative, and then just play chess.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #11 - 08/28/20 at 17:31:54
Post Tools
According to Miedema, the White bishop on d4 and knight on e3 are really dangerous, so the Black knight should be left on c5 to go to e3 and evict the bishop; and, he says, in this variation, atypically for IQP positions,  Black can afford a great deal of simplification if he gets control of the e-file in return.

Thus 14.Bd4 Ne6 15. Be5 makes sense. Miedema analyzes this after 13...b4 but not after his main line 13...a4. Also, c3 is not forced.

Miedema plays the lines here, consults lots of correspondence games, and analyzes with Leela as well as Stockfish. I trust this part of his research. But if this IM disagrees with a player as good as you, at least his strategic advice does not consist of things that are obvious to good players.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #10 - 08/28/20 at 16:47:05
Post Tools
1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 c5 4.ed ed 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.Bb5+ Bd7 7.Bxd7 Nbxd7 8.O-O Be7 9.dc Nxc5 10.Re1 O-O 11.Nf1 Re8 12.Be3 a5 13.c3 a4

Isn't black's idea to play 14...a3 15.b3 Nce4 with counterplay against the c3-pawn? After 14.Bd4, 14...Ne6 makes no sense at all. Black can never equalize by opposing minors. Black should move everything forward and bother white by attacking this or that pawn. Make white seek the trades, so that black can retain the space and activity.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #9 - 08/28/20 at 13:17:08
Post Tools
I have the book on Forward Chess and have been reading it. There's lots of good stuff in it, including good strategic and practical advice, an entertaining style, and lots of correspondence chess. I'm glad I have it, but a few things disappointed me.

First, it has the feel of a book section that the publisher wanted extended into a full volume.  It's pretty clear the author regards 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 c5 4.Nf3 Nf6 (or 4.ed ed 5.Nf6) as his main recommendation. The other sections end in an advantage for White. I could understand presenting two systems, but this is overkill.

Second, the author appears to have kept his records in a database as he explored what move to make for Black against the most successful White moves, and then used a lot of his notes unfiltered, informing us of all the Black tries that don't quite work, along with their refutations.  Perhaps he also did this to achieve a whole book. At any rate, there are far more tries given for Black than for White. I can only wish it were reversed. This is not about offering a choice of systems. If he discovered "novelties" for Black that wilt after only a few moves, French players don't want to hear about it. Miedema seems to have forgotten whom he is writing a repertoire for!

Here's a typical point in the book: in the main line of his main lines, 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 c5 4.ed ed 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.Bb5+ Bd7 7.Bxd7 Nbxd7 8.O-O Be7 9.dc Nxc5 10.Re1 O-O 11.Nf1 Re8 12.Be3 a5, the only White line he gives is 13.c3, which is not forced. White has several other plausible tries, some of which, like 13.Bd4 with the idea Ne3, go straight for the very strategy we have been trying to block all along--placing a bishop on d4 and bringing a knight to e3 or g3. Granted, the position after 13. c3 a4 14.a3 is something of a tabiya, but that doesn't mean we can ignore other setups! It would also be nice to have an example here of standard play after White skips 14. a3 with 14.Ng3 or Bd4, allowing ...a5-a4-a3,  and pushes by with b4. But instead of this sort of thing, throughout the book we get lots of records of inferior tries for Black.

Third, unsurprisingly, the writing seems somewhat rushed--on more than one occasion, I had to go to a bit of trouble to understand what he was trying to say. For example, a comment like "there is more than one good way to play against this" is placed in the middle of a variation, so that it seems to refer to an interior move, when in fact it should have been placed at the head of the variation. There is not, however, the great disorganization of thought that we have seen in some other books, so I don't want to be too harsh.

For me this book was like a long-awaited box of candy. I'm still going through it and enjoying it a lot, but I'm sorry it seems to have been put together without doing all the final hard work of filtering material and filling gaps. It would, though, make just as nice a book for White on the IQP lines as for Black--I really don't see why it wasn't presented more neutrally, since it's more than a repertoire for Black.

« Last Edit: 08/28/20 at 17:25:15 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #8 - 07/08/20 at 06:07:56
Post Tools
Niggemann now has the contents page! Looks as though Miedema is indeed recommending 3...c5 with ...exd5. Covering both setups with ...Nf6 and those with ...Nc6 and ...Bd6/Nge7 and a few extra options too!

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #7 - 06/15/20 at 06:08:57
Post Tools
Now German distributor Niggemann has announced this book for July 16th.
With 225 pages for € 27, but no preview yet.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Krudos
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 04/06/20 at 09:03:21
Post Tools
Do we know when it will be published yet?

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/06/20 at 06:04:03
Post Tools
He did an excellent job with Volume 1 so I suspect this will be the same....I'm looking forward to it, I used to play the IQP Tarrasch variation back in the 70's....The Uhlmann influence!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #4 - 03/29/20 at 06:15:59
Post Tools
That would be great if he does a good job. I've long wanted more coverage of the classical IQP Tarrasch, which I play as Black.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/20 at 01:15:31
Post Tools
I notice that one thing he has played is 3. Nd2 c5 4. ed ed 5. Ngf3 Nc6 6. Bb5 Qe7+, which appeared (most recently) in the February update.  (By the way, the old game I'm reminded of in this case is Keres-Capablanca.)

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 03/25/20 at 00:54:29
Post Tools
MW is probably correct that it will follow Miedema's own play.

From the introduction to volume one:
Quote:
What about the next volume?
Well, that will cover everything apart from 3.Nc3. I will start a new journey to complete that. After studying that book as well, you should be armed with a complete 2020-ready French repertoire.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/25/20 at 00:45:23
Post Tools
I think it is 3 Nd2 and if Miedema's own games are anything to go by it could well be 3....c5 and recapturing on d5 with the pawn rather than the queen.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Modernized French Volume 2
03/24/20 at 22:42:44
Post Tools
Hi all, anyone know what the modernized French Volume 2 covers? Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo