Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Burgess's 'Idiot-Proof Opening Repertoire' (Read 736 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Burgess's 'Idiot-Proof Opening Repertoire'
Reply #9 - 03/30/20 at 20:43:07
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 03/30/20 at 17:08:02:
VGA wrote on 03/30/20 at 04:55:34:
Nice! Got to wait till August, though Sad

Graham Burgess seems to always work on interesting books and creates repertoires that make sense and fit together.

That said, he calls this "idiot-proof" but he hasn't met me.

Neither did he meet me ever.

There's a proverb in security and ergonomic engineering: You can build a device with all the intelligence possible. Stupidity is always superior.

I absolutely love that quote, and will definitely be using it in the near future.

Thanks  Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #8 - 03/30/20 at 17:08:02
Post Tools
VGA wrote on 03/30/20 at 04:55:34:

Graham Burgess seems to always work on interesting books and creates repertoires that make sense and fit together.

Neither did he meet me ever.

There's a proverb in security and ergonomic engineering: You can build a device with all the intelligence possible. Stupidity is always superior.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/30/20 at 04:55:34
Post Tools

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 03/26/20 at 04:40:03
Post Tools
@an ordinary chessplayer

I actually had in mind both Gufeld/Kalinichenko books, as well as that bit in the Positional one (which I have) referring readers to the Attacking one.  I think Carsten Hansen in his review at Chess Cafe had some clear words for that -- something like "completely unacceptable."

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #5 - 03/26/20 at 02:59:21
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 03/25/20 at 18:55:35:
Huh, a repertoire for both colors in <200 pages ...not sure I've seen such a thing since the 1990s (Gufeld/Kalinichenko and, in even fewer pages, Keene/Levy).

"seen such a thing ..." Do I detect sarcasm?

Would "Gufeld/Kalinichenko" be?

Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player - where they recommend for black the Dragon Sicilian (fine), however, against 2.Nc3 they give 2...e6!! (no Dragon today) and if 3.Nf3 d5!!!. After which white has at minimum one simple way to a clear advantage, but of course they give equality. The advantageous line is not hard to find. If in doubt let the engine show you, but many club players could find it over the board.

Or would "Gufeld/Kalinichenko" be?

Opening Repertoire for the Positional Player - where they recommend for black the Classical Sicilian (fine), however, they write "All deviations by White on moves 2 and 3 are examined in detail in our companion volume An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player. By following the course indicated there you will obtain a normal game." Which leaves black not only with the same 2.Nc3 e6!! (no Classical Sicilian today) 3.Nf3 d5!!!, but also with the need to buy a second book, for a few pages of sidelines.

Of course, the sarcastic exclamation marks are mine. I used to scour black repertoire books for recommendations against the Closed Sicilian. When I saw 2...e6 I did a double-take, and when I saw 3...d5 I just laughed.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #4 - 03/25/20 at 21:58:58
Post Tools
The cover illustration shows Tiviakov's Scandinavian with Qd6 and c6.  That one always looked dangerous to me. 
Being an idiot, I am among the target audience and will buy the book in any event.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/20 at 18:55:35
Post Tools
Huh, a repertoire for both colors in <200 pages ...not sure I've seen such a thing since the 1990s (Gufeld/Kalinichenko and, in even fewer pages, Keene/Levy).

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/25/20 at 14:54:31
Post Tools
Could be fun. Not a fan of Gambit layout though Sad

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TD

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #1 - 03/25/20 at 12:22:14
Post Tools
I am very curious about this book as it covers openings I play. I also liked Burgess' A Cunning Chess Opening Repertoire for White very much.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Burgess's 'Idiot-Proof Opening Repertoire'
03/25/20 at 10:59:58
Post Tools
A complete repertoire for black and white. Black side is a Scandinavian and QGA/Slav (not sure about specific move orders). White side is an English, apparently with a fair share of Botvinniks.

http://gambitbooks.com/books/An_Idiot-Proof_Chess_Opening_Repertoire.html

Seems like a healthy choice of lines. Will be interesting to compare to the Dynamic English: Burgess is likely to be thinner, but will it point out many lines to update?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo