Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 2020 Candidates Interrupted (Read 1959 times)
Lanark
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: 2020 Candidates Interrupted
Reply #1 - 03/26/20 at 11:27:36
Post Tools
I understand that it is planned to continue the tournament later with the current standings after round 7.
I am a fan of Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, still I think it is not really fair to "punish" Radjabov for taking the right decision in the first place. Shouldn't he have a chance to play in the Candidates after all?

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

2020 Candidates Interrupted
03/26/20 at 10:58:53
Post Tools
The tournament should never have started. The opening ceremony of 1,000 guests  was a scandalous stroke of Soviet-style arrogance, duplicity, and stupidity. It was cruel to make the players choose between risking their health and their careers. And the pandemic was inevitably going to distort the play and very probably change the result. Grischuk is a parent; Ding lives with his parents; Alekseenko is still a college student. This is not even chess boxing or biathlon where you have to lower your heart rate before aiming. Here, the variable effects on the players are externally as well as internally determined. In this environment, the players who have the fewest domestic ties--MVL Nepo, Wang, and Caruana--have all landed in the  top half of the standings.

I wish all the players luck getting home and good health.
« Last Edit: 03/26/20 at 12:15:17 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo