Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) KIA rep (Read 7769 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: KIA rep
Reply #50 - 11/30/20 at 04:18:03
Post Tools
In this time of Black Week and Cyber Monday deals I am tempted by the video series "King's Indian Attack Mastermind" by GM Stopa, mentioned by TopNotch earlier in this thread. Has anyone got an opinion of it? I haven't found any reviews online.

TopNotch wrote on 04/17/20 at 21:46:59:

There's a free intro video where Stopa says the series is mostly for club players between 1400 and 1900, but stronger players could also find something of interest. Well, I am quite a bit stronger than that, so I wonder how useful it is for someone who has a few books on the KIA and access to databases.

By the looks of the table of contents around half of the videos are devoted to the Reversed KID. This is a big reason for my interest since I have reached that setup many times online, but not played it particularly well - it's as if the extra tempo hurts me...

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #49 - 05/21/20 at 09:31:11
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 05/21/20 at 00:18:10:
2000 FIDE you already don't attain without some amount of effort, but he got to it in 1 year(?)

I agree broadly with everything you say in your post upthread, but as far as I can make out, his 2000 Elo claim was for a tournament rating as opposed to a published one based on a year's worth of games. I think the post in which he says this has now been deleted, but I quoted a part of that post earlier in this thread in which he says 'I got a 2006 elo rating in my first Fide event'. For him to manage that over the course of five or six games I can believe. Of course, he might well have said something different elsewhere.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #48 - 05/21/20 at 07:33:52
Post Tools
Heuristic wrote on 05/19/20 at 11:43:51:
Stigma wrote on 05/19/20 at 11:33:57:
OK, enough word games. I think you understood what I meant: The KIA leads to more interesting play against some defences than against others.

Do you really think the main line (c6, bg4) offers sharp play? If the main line is slow, strategical, play than the opening should be characterised as such. The equivalent line with colours reversed would be a London system with bg5... not exactly unbalanced and interesting...

I've tried to stay away from this thread, but this nonsensical reply irks me too much.

"If the main line is slow, strategical, play than the opening should be characterised as such" - this makes no sense. Nobody rated above 1800 thinks like that. You have to look at the actual position on the board in the specific variation and position you reach and assess it on its own merits, no matter what someone thinks about the main line of the opening!

If I reach a sharp position out of a Symmetrical English (1.c4 c5), would it make sense to protest that I can't call the opening sharp because the Symmetrical English usually leads to calm, strategic games? Of course not. Yet that's essentially what you tried to do here.

It was in fact the KIA vs Sicilian I called relatively speaking unbalanced compared to the KIA against some other defences to 1.e4, not the 1.Nf3 KIA main line with Bg4. (Yet even the latter, while usually calm and strategic, is far from being the least unbalanced opening in chess.)

P. S.: it's not a "London system with Bg5". The Torre involves Bg5, the London Bf4. I believe the Black "London" setup with d5/c6/Nf6/Bf5 is also (and maybe more correctly) called the New York system.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #47 - 05/21/20 at 06:43:50
Post Tools
Whether 2000 or 2400, Heuristic obviously is not familiar with IM Siliman's theory of imbalancies. That or he misunderstands. Even for me it's easy to point out several imbalancies in that Fischer-Spassky game as early as move 8 .... What he means with "but it was not unbalanced" is beyond me, I'm afraid.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 05/21/20 at 05:22:15
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/19/20 at 15:32:30:
Heuristic wrote on 05/19/20 at 11:27:57:

When speaking of the KIA it would be good to cite games which are actually KIAs.  That's a Closed Sicilian. 

Funnily this is actually described as a KIA at chessgames.com. And if you have no knowledge of opening theory and no chess culture of your own it´s easy to be mistaken by that.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #45 - 05/21/20 at 00:18:10
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 05/19/20 at 20:21:07:
Oh yes, I absolutely agree with you, I don't think he's making up his 2000 rating.

Personally, I doubt the veracity of any and all of his claims. Just reads like a horde of nonsense.

2000 FIDE you already don't attain without some amount of effort, but he got to it in 1 year(?), and doesn't even pat himself on the back for it, but pulls out some random story of his grandpa drawing Karpov in a simul, which clearly gave him chess genes(??).
His first rating was 2000, but when he was a 1600 he already beat 1800s, and he outplayed this random dude and whatever else, always at the same time sounding really proud of his achievements, and making them out to be easypeasy.
Then he quit OTB chess to focus on his university studies, but instead of moving towards online chess, he decided that "mere humans" would not be interesting enough to play against anymore, and instead went on to spend his freetime.. playing long time control games vs 25 year old engines. Bonus points for finding "no satisfaction" in beating humans, but fighting a stone aged engine, which he crushes in every game, instead. That's gotta be satisfying alright..
Somewhere in this process he turned completely delusional, and not just calls himself 2400 (on the back of literally nothing), but doubles down by saying "my rating is higher than yours" (lmao), and triples down with claims like "Mamedyarov is positionally a 2400". Thus coming full circle; the random 2000 with like 10 rated games, who played 50 games with Fritz 2 to train chess, is positionally on a level with Mamedyarov. Because.
And now, after all of that, he suddenly finds this forum, and writes 100 messages a day in every thread, half of them complete nonsense, the other half at best misguided, desperately seeking validation for his great wins against the engine, while talking down on any actual chess players, and making one ludicrous claim after another.

Normally I would assume this is an overload of Dunning-Kruger, but 2000 FIDE is a bit too respectable of a level to be that moronic. Generally at that level you have faced the odd 2200-2300-2400, and noticed there's a gap. You've also noticed that there is absolutely no way for you to measure the "positional skill" of a Top10 player, let alone in rating points..
Either he is a savant, truly talented at chess, and barely functional at anything else; or 80% of this is made up.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if the vs. Engine games he keeps plastering in here were all played with engine assistance (or with takebacks); something which he can't do online, so that'd be a straightforward explanation as to why one would continuously play a shitty machine, rather than actual people. Haven't checked any of them out though, and given he is playing vs a 25 year old Fritz version, who knows what he might be using for assistance anyway (would likely not lead to a huge Stockfish matchup % if he used Fritz 4 to beat Fritz 2)

IP Logged

mn
God Member

Reply #44 - 05/19/20 at 20:23:49
Post Tools
Ah, gotcha. Agreed for sure then.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #43 - 05/19/20 at 20:21:07
Post Tools
mn wrote on 05/19/20 at 19:51:28:
Obviously I seriously doubt the 2400 strength claim, but in fairness, the 2000 elo thing seems plausible to me

Oh yes, I absolutely agree with you, I don't think he's making up his 2000 rating. Apologies for not making that clear. His grossly inflated sense of his current ability, though, perhaps explains how he can be so dismissive about other people's ideas here and also about the abilities of very strong professional players.

IP Logged

mn
God Member

Reply #42 - 05/19/20 at 19:51:28
Post Tools
1. 1 e4 e5 2 d3 Nc6 and I already prefer Black.

2. Obviously I seriously doubt the 2400 strength claim, but in fairness, the 2000 elo thing seems plausible to me, if he really hasn’t played chess seriously in years, and is therefore out of touch with opening theory and naming conventions and things like that.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #41 - 05/19/20 at 18:41:33
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 05/19/20 at 18:19:58:
Makes one seriously question what his level actually is

He claims to be 2400, though that's his own assessment rather than an actual FIDE rating, and it seems extremely unlikely. I'm not very good at putting in links, but if you click on 'Heuristic wrote' (below), it'll take you to the relevant bit of that thread so you can see it in context if you can be bothered to do so.

Heuristic wrote on 05/19/20 at 14:56:15:
I got a 2006 elo rating in my first Fide event but I "retired" after that for university studies. I'm at least 2400 these days.

I challenged this and he's so far failed to reply, which is unlike him.

(edit: to be clear, I challenged the bit about him being 'at least 2400' now, not the claim regarding the 2006 rating in an event at some point in the past)
« Last Edit: 05/19/20 at 22:04:59 by Seeley »  

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #40 - 05/19/20 at 18:19:58
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/19/20 at 15:32:30:

When speaking of the KIA it would be good to cite games which are actually KIAs.  That's a Closed Sicilian. 

Makes one seriously question what his level actually is, he is often imprecise and sloppy like this. In another thread he did the same thing, I gave an example in the Classical K.I.D to refute some nonsense he was spouting about those positions, and his counter was to switch to some line of the Makagonov which is a completely different system with its own subtleties and nuances. He constantly meanders all over the place like that, flitting from one disjointed and uncompelling argument to the next, often using belittling language in his post when describing the play of other players especially titled ones, as if he or most likely his engine, has some special knowledge that the rest of the Chess world does not.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #39 - 05/19/20 at 15:32:30
Post Tools

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 05/19/20 at 12:08:18
Post Tools
mn wrote on 05/19/20 at 09:21:29:
Well, to be fair, is there any particular reason why you can't play the KIA against the Pirc/Modern? I mean it may feel a bit strange to play something like 1 e4 g6 2 Nf3 Bg7 3 d3 d6 4 g3 Nf6 5 Bg2 0-0 6 0-0, but if you're a diehard KIA player, is there any particular reason why you can't do it? 

There's no reason why you can't do it, but you are playing passively against a sub optimal structure from black (the Pirc defense). White is quite a bit better in main line Pirc, just as in the Kings Indian, and you are giving away that edge by playing KIA structures against both of them.

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 05/19/20 at 11:43:51
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/19/20 at 11:33:57:
OK, enough word games. I think you understood what I meant: The KIA leads to more interesting play against some defences than against others.

Do you really think the main line (c6, bg4) offers sharp play? If the main line is slow, strategical, play than the opening should be characterised as such. The equivalent line with colours reversed would be a London system with bg5... not exactly unbalanced and interesting...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #36 - 05/19/20 at 11:33:57
Post Tools

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo