Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Syzygy tablebases in CB15 (Read 405 times)
Seeley

Re: Syzygy tablebases in CB15
Reply #11 - 04/27/20 at 23:41:37
Post Tools
Just in case anyone's interested, I hadn't yet got round to contacting ChessBase about this issue when, tonight, a new update to CB15 became available. After I'd installed it, the first thing I did was to see if the tablebases work again - and they do. This seems to support my original hypothesis that it was an earlier update which screwed everything up in the first place. I'm still debarred from changing anything in Options - Tablebases, where everything remains greyed out, but I'm not too bothered about that as long as things are working normally.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #10 - 04/23/20 at 10:05:28
Post Tools
Thank you both, TNich and an ordinary chessplayer, for your help: I greatly appreciate it.

TNich wrote on 04/23/20 at 00:39:01:
Are you using chessbase 15 64bit or 32bit?
One option is uninstalling chessbase and then reinstalling. This will remove all updates.
The other is finding out what update you have installed and installing the previous update.
I can help but we should probably use PMs.

I'm using CB15 64 bit. With regard to rolling back to a previous update, I'm unable to say with absolute certainty at what point tablebases stopped working as I only use them sporadically, so a reinstall would probably be necessary. I may well take you up on your kind offer of further help, and I take your point that PMs would be more appropriate.

an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/23/20 at 02:50:38:
TNich is probably correct that rolling back an update, or reinstalling completely, will fix your issue - but the issue might reoccur later. Before taking that drastic step, there's a bunch of troubleshooting things I might try.
  • Copy your Syzygy tablebases to a different folder, and point CB14 to that folder. See what happens in CB15 then. Whether or not the CB15 paths change to match, look for the .ini (text) or .cbini (binary) file that holds the paths.
  • Mess around with the Syzygy (Engine) or Nalimov (GUI) settings. If you can or can't change those settings, that will tell you something.
  • Click the Clear button. Your tablebases don't work in CB15 anyway, maybe clicking that will make your paths editable again.

I'll give your first suggestion a try.
With regard to your second suggestion, and also your third, the software won't let me change or edit any of the settings in Options - Tablebases, and this includes clicking the Clear button, which does nothing at all. Basically I can go into Options - Tablebases, but I can't set anything or change anything once I'm in there. This is what leads me to think there must be a setting somewhere else in the software that for some reason has disabled tablebase access altogether.

I think my next step, before undertaking anything drastic, will be to contact ChessBase and see what they have to say. Once again, many thanks to both of you for taking the time and trouble to offer thoughts and ideas: I am extremely grateful.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #9 - 04/23/20 at 02:50:38
Post Tools
The difference in sounds might mean what you suggested. It might also mean that you have sounds configured differently between the two versions.

Seeley wrote on 04/22/20 at 22:23:23:
All ChessBase Help resources I've managed to seek out are typically useless, to the great surprise of no-one at all ...

I dunno, I find the online help to be okay. It's better than most program documentation. But it's definitely confusing, because ChessBase is on version 15 and some of the help pages have been around a long time and need editing. I noticed that, in the documentation at least, there are *two* places for Tablebase options:
  • File - Options - Tablebases
  • Tools - Options - Tablebases
But I think Tools is from the pre-ribbon GUI, and doesn't exist in recent versions.

The reason I asked about interference between CB14 and CB15 is because ChessBase stores some *settings* in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Documents\ChessBase. For example, although I uninstalled CB14, I still have DBItems.cbini and DBItems.ini in that folder. That was bad of them, a side-by-side installation like yours would mean two different programs are using the same settings files. The settings files should be in program-specific folders in AppData, but this is one of those holdovers from before Windows even had AppData.

For safety's sake, I think you should make sure to never have CB14 and CB15 running at the same time.

TNich is probably correct that rolling back an update, or reinstalling completely, will fix your issue - but the issue might reoccur later. Before taking that drastic step, there's a bunch of troubleshooting things I might try.
  • Copy your Syzygy tablebases to a different folder, and point CB14 to that folder. See what happens in CB15 then. Whether or not the CB15 paths change to match, look for the .ini (text) or .cbini (binary) file that holds the paths.
  • Mess around with the Syzygy (Engine) or Nalimov (GUI) settings. If you can or can't change those settings, that will tell you something.
  • Click the Clear button. Your tablebases don't work in CB15 anyway, maybe clicking that will make your paths editable again.

But that's just me. I'm a tinkerer, and don't give up easily when things stop working.

IP Logged

TNich

Reply #8 - 04/23/20 at 00:39:01
Post Tools
Are you using chessbase 15 64bit or 32bit?
One option is uninstalling chessbase and then reinstalling. This will remove all updates.
The other is finding out what update you have installed and installing the previous update.
I can help but we should probably use PMs.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #7 - 04/22/20 at 22:46:21
Post Tools
The other thing I notice is that, when I go into 'Options'; 'Tablebases' and click the 'Edit' button, the window in CB15 displaying the (greyed-out) paths makes an error sound when it opens, whereas the one in CB14 doesn't. I wonder if this mean it's somehow locked in CB15, and that there's a box I need to click somewhere giving myself permission to edit it.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #6 - 04/22/20 at 22:35:00
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/22/20 at 22:08:14:
Seeley wrote on 04/22/20 at 17:01:30:
although the paths specified for the tablebases are the same in both CB14 and CB15, they appear to be greyed out in CB15.

Seeley wrote on 04/22/20 at 20:14:52:
There's a 'Clear' button too, but if I click that, I don't know how I'd reset the paths after I've cleared them.

You would copy the paths from CB14.

Just a thought. Have you installed CB14 and CB15 on the same computer in such a way that they interfere with each other?

Thanks for your reply. The paths in CB14 and CB15 are exactly the same, except that in CB15, they're greyed out, whereas in CB14, they're not. I installed CB15 on my PC whenever it came out (18 months ago?) and CB14 was already there. The two had co-existed quite amicably, with the tablebases working perfectly well up to now, but they've suddenly stopped without me knowingly having changed anything. This is why I suspect a CB update of foul play. I could try removing CB14 from my PC to see if that helps, as I don't normally use it (I only opened it now to see if tablebases worked), but I'm reluctant to do that as things stand, as I can at least use it to access my tablebases.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #5 - 04/22/20 at 22:23:23
Post Tools
Thanks very much for explaining in language so simple that even I could follow! I've now tried what you suggested, manually re-specifying the paths, but even after that, the addresses of the paths remain greyed out. As far as I can see, everything is set up exactly the same in CB14 - where tablebases work - as in CB15 - where they don't. I'm baffled, because logic suggests that there must be something that's different, or else they'd both either work or nor work.

TNich wrote on 04/22/20 at 20:04:28:
I would make sure you have the GUI Tablebases set

I'm not sure how to do this, but I assume that the fact that these paths exist is evidence that I have the GUI tablebases set. Or is there another setting somewhere to check?

All ChessBase Help resources I've managed to seek out are typically useless, to the great surprise of no-one at all ...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 04/22/20 at 22:08:14
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 04/22/20 at 17:01:30:
although the paths specified for the tablebases are the same in both CB14 and CB15, they appear to be greyed out in CB15.

Seeley wrote on 04/22/20 at 20:14:52:
There's a 'Clear' button too, but if I click that, I don't know how I'd reset the paths after I've cleared them.

You would copy the paths from CB14.

Just a thought. Have you installed CB14 and CB15 on the same computer in such a way that they interfere with each other?

IP Logged

TNich

Reply #3 - 04/22/20 at 20:19:21
Post Tools
After each path there are 3 little dots. If you click on them you can choose the path. I would clear the paths and then set them manually. By manually I mean point CB15 to where you have the Syzgy files stored on your hard drive.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #2 - 04/22/20 at 20:14:52
Post Tools
Thanks very much for answering. I should perhaps have added in my post that my tech skills are not great, and I'm afraid I don't know how to go about implementing either of your suggestions. In 'Tablebases', I've clicked on 'Syzygy (GUI)' and three of the four paths have addresses in them. There's a 'Clear' button too, but if I click that, I don't know how I'd reset the paths after I've cleared them. Would you be able to elaborate, please? Thanks again.

IP Logged

TNich

Reply #1 - 04/22/20 at 20:04:28
Post Tools
Mine are working but I uninstalled the latest update because it broke some other features.
I would make sure you have the GUI Tablebases set. If that doesn't work you could clear your paths and reset them.

IP Logged

Seeley

Syzygy tablebases in CB15
04/22/20 at 17:01:30
Post Tools
I've run into a problem using Syzygy tablebases in ChessBase 15 and I wonder if anyone can help, please. I installed the tablebases three or four years ago using the ChessBase Turbo 4 disks and they've always worked fine before, but I suddenly noticed yesterday that all I now get once I reach a position in tablebase territory is a list of all the possible moves but with no evaluations. I still have ChessBase 14 on my PC so I tried using the tablebases in that and everything's fine, so I figure the problem must be something to do with Chessbase 15 and how it accesses the tablebase data. Going into 'Tablebases' in the 'Options menu', I can see there is a 'Load program at start' box, which is ticked in both CB14 and CB15, so it's not that. However, although the paths specified for the tablebases are the same in both CB14 and CB15, they appear to be greyed out in CB15. Presumably this means they are disabled, but I have no idea how this happened or how to rectify it. My suspicion, possibly unfair and unfounded, is that one of the regular CB updates has screwed something up in the software, which has happened before and which seems to be an occupational hazard with ChessBase. Or is there something simple I need to do to make the tablebases work again? Thanks in advance for any help.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo