Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Exporting files in PGN from SCID (Read 2603 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: Exporting files in PGN from SCID
Reply #4 - 04/24/20 at 19:48:46
Post Tools
Thanks to both. I was only using SCID 4.21 so I'll try with 4.64 and/or with a smaller database ...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 04/24/20 at 19:00:32
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 04/24/20 at 18:03:15:
CB doesn't handle pgn-files appropriately. Chess Assistant does.

The first part I competely agree with. And ChessBase hasn't fixed the known issues in forever. I mostly use CB for opening CBV files, and for converting CBH files to PGN.

The second part I partially agree with. CA, unlike CB, handles the headers well. But move-text not so well. Exporting a Chess Assistant format database to PGN results in a lot of CA-specific "%" comments that other programs don't know what to do with, as well as some other non-standard things that are problematic, e.g. multiple comments like {1}{2} attached to a single move.

I regularly use three different chess database GUIs (Shredder, Chess Assistant, Tarrasch), as well as many other chess programs (pgn-extract, EPD2diag, Arena, XBoard and Winboard, Bookup, ChessBase, Fritz, etc.). Each program is stronger at some feature, and I'm frequently trying out new ones to see if there is something even better for some purposes. So PGN and EPD are critical for me, as they are the only formats all programs understand.

Despite there being published standards for both, there are big problems with interoperability.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #2 - 04/24/20 at 18:03:15
Post Tools
I did just test it under linux with SCID 4.6.4 via

Database -> Export All Filter Games.

The program shows the options and I created there a new file. 214k games were successfully exported. The CB-part is nothing to explore for me. I stopped using it because it is too slow and buggy when importing files, even those in the cb-format.

A principled remark: CB doesn't handle pgn-files appropriately. Chess Assistant does. Doesn't CA import CB files? A used version should be not at all costly and help you at least as tool for dbs from different sources and formats.

And a hint: Atm CA including its db is cheaper than the Bigbase for download.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #1 - 04/24/20 at 17:52:47
Post Tools
Potential issues with PGN are many. Off the top of my head:
  • 32-bit programs can't read a file bigger than 2 GB.
  • The pgn standard says any line ending is acceptable, but some programs that expect Windows CR-LF endings can't read files with Unix LF or Mac CR endings.
  • The pgn-standard says only plain ASCII encoding, but these days most programs import and export UTF-8. So maybe ASCII is needed, or maybe Windows-1252, or maybe a UTF-8 byte-order mark is needed, or maybe some higher characters are fine but others are problematic.
  • Chess-960 games are finding their way into databases, but not all programs handle those.

First thing I do with a new PGN file is open it in a decent text editor, to see if it looks okay.

Second thing I do is run it through pgn-extract. It's a life-saver!
https://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/djb/pgn-extract/
$ pgn-extract -r -s myfile.pgn

A good trouble-shooting step is exporting a fairly small database from SCID, and seeing if CB Reader 2017 can import that successfully.

Edited:
I made a mistake - the pgn standard actually says ISO 8859/1.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Exporting files in PGN from SCID
04/24/20 at 15:00:24
Post Tools
I've recently been successfully using the 4-million-game Caissabase free online datbase in SCID, but have got nowhere trying to export this to ChessBase Reader 2017 using the normal facility in SCID: Tools--Export all filter games--Export filter to PGN. I get a file marked '14' (I assume 'cos CB Reader 2017 uses CB14) and it's big enough to contain the games, but when I open it I get 'No games found'. Anyone know what the problem is and if it's insuperable? If I unzip files from sites like PGN Mentor I get the same file-type (little green icon with '14' on it) when I unzip them, but they open just fine ...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo