Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: v
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: mariozevich on: 12/06/22 at 05:17:34 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) White Sniper by chess base (Read 5810 times)
cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Re: White Sniper by chess base
Reply #18 - 11/28/22 at 12:29:58
Post Tools
Lately I keep asking myself, "What is Tomasz Markowski an expert on"? Does anyone know? I doubt it.

IP Logged

mariozevich
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 11/28/22 at 01:41:25
Post Tools
Tomasz Markowski an expert on the. White sniper

IP Logged

mariozevich
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 11/28/22 at 01:37:42
Post Tools
Tomasz Markowski is a masyer on the white sniper...lots of related games on chessgames web page...but could be of great help to get the book in order to learn the concepts...ain't it? Smiley

IP Logged

mariozevich
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 11/28/22 at 01:37:15
Post Tools
Tomasz Markowski is a masyer on the white sniper...lots of related games on chessgames web page...but could be of great help to get the book in order to learn the concepts...ain't it? Smiley

IP Logged

pirx
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 11/25/22 at 16:10:02
Post Tools
I bought the White Sniper DVD a few years back now. The main thing I remember is that most if not all the example games were played by GM Tomasz Markowski of Poland. So, if you want to know the variations covered then look up Mr Markowski's white games.

I've played Mr Storey OTB and analysed some lines with him. With black he's very keen on lines with c7-c5, meeting d4-d5 with Bg7xc3 and Qd8-a5. I've seen Hikaru Nakamura playing like that with black in some recent Titled Tuesday blitz games, so maybe it's worth a look. I don't remember if the White Sniper DVD has any lines with 1.g3 2.Bg2 3.c4 4.Bxc6 & 5.Qa4, but I would not be surprised.

IP Logged

mariozevich
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 11/23/22 at 01:11:14
Post Tools
It is a pdf book indeed...580 pagrs and it seems no chessplayer has purchased it..I tried to buy it but Storey's website is not working and does not provide customer support... Sad

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #12 - 11/22/22 at 20:28:18
Post Tools
The duckduckgo search results don't look promising, apparently it's a pdf "book". I hope it's not just a ChessBase printout of some Storey games. I tried to follow the queensgambitacademy.com link and got a Firefox security warning. The company firewall blocks access to https://storeysniper.com/white-sniper/ . And that exhausts my interest in this new white sniper book. However, I feel safe in predicting it won't be the last thing Mr. Storey writes about the sniper.

IP Logged

mariozevich
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 11/22/22 at 19:51:13
Post Tools
Hi..there is a book on thr ehiye sniper...the ehite sniper manual by charlie storey...haven founf no one single comment on it...does anybody can comment?
Regards

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 04/26/20 at 19:26:21
Post Tools
Chess base used to list the variations, i get the idear on whats it about but a little more would have been nice. Thanks all for the info.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #9 - 04/26/20 at 15:02:43
Post Tools
Okay thanks. I clicked on your link last night but I was tired and didn't find the Contents, hidden behind one of those stupid "hamburger" buttons.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #8 - 04/26/20 at 03:56:44
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/26/20 at 03:13:53:
I agree it would be helpful to know if that means the English on this ChessBase DVD.

The contents list I referred to clears this up: Yes, the English is covered. Among the chapters we find:

* The reversed Sicilian
* Play an Accelerated Dragon with an extra tempo.
* Play a Closed Sicilian with an extra tempo.
* Closed Sicilian: Neutralise Blacks aggressive Bc5 Sicilian.
* Beat the annoying c3 Sicilian with an extra tempo.
* Sniper vs Sniper 5.Nf3: Micro advantage for white.
* Sniper vs Sniper 5.d3: Micro advantage for white.

There are also chapter on the King's Indian and the Dutch that I suspect may also use English move orders instead of transposing to the real thing.

It's a bit amusing that the world "English" doesn't occur anywhere in that list. Almost as if he doesn't want to admit that's what these lines are. We also don't get any hint of the specific setups chosen within the Reversed Dragon and the Reversed Closed Sicilian.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #7 - 04/26/20 at 03:13:53
Post Tools
Here's a better ChessBase link:
https://en.chessbase.com/post/charlie-storey-interview-2020

By the way, this isn't Storey's first DVD on The White Sniper. He also did one in 2011 for Foxy Video, #134.

"The Sniper" (black) isn't an independent opening, and Storey doesn't even maintain a consistent approach to it. I don't remember exactly where, but Storey said that he has played various setups after 1...g6, 2...Bg7. Actually that makes sense. It's one of the advantages of the Modern Defense, black still has some choices about how to play the center pawns.

"The White Sniper" also isn't an independent opening. If black sets up the classical center with 1.g3 e5 2.Bg2 d5 then white will get to snipe at it. But if not, then white, being white, will have to make some commitment first, and the usual result will be a transposition to some other opening. I agree it would be helpful to know if that means the English on this ChessBase DVD.

The "Sniper" name is pure marketing aimed at Storey's junior students. In a way it's annoying, but since I'm old and not so idealistic anymore, I find it easy to ignore. As for the opening itself, both 1...g6 for black and 1.g3 for white are valid ways to begin. Storey knows a lot about these openings, enough to inspire Henley to do a four DVDs series for Foxy Video in 2011. (Actually seven DVDs if you count his earlier three on 1.d4 g6 2.c4 Bg7 3.Nc3 c5 4.d5 Bxc3+.) I fast-forwarded through these videos just to know what was on them, in case I wanted to really watch them later. What stuck in my mind was the number of times Henley said "sniper".

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #6 - 04/26/20 at 02:40:06
Post Tools
Did you guys check the Contents list in the shop?
https://shop.chessbase.com/en/products/storey_the_white_sniper#

The concrete move orders aren't given, but this looks a lot like what I get in blitz when I experiment with 1.g3/2.Bg2. If Black grabs the centre, you're playing some sort of reversed Pirc or King's Indian (think of the controversial book The Fianchetto Solution from a few years ago). If Black is a bit more restrained, you're usually playing a standard English or Reti with an early g3.

In the annoucement it's mentioned that Storey recommends starting with 1.c4 at first, since that limits Black's options. I have no idea how good this Storey DVD is, but if the analysis is decent, it could be a good complement to a 1.c4/2.g3 repertoire like those by Kosten, Marin (both the three-book series and the recent DVDs) and Burgess.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/26/20 at 01:30:33
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 04/26/20 at 00:09:25:
There are many lines in the English where White plays c4, g3 and Bg2, so the Sniper can just be a transposition attempt.

So why call it the Sniper if you are simply going to transpose into the Symmetrical English after 1 c4 c5 or after 1 c4 e5 2 g3 Nf6 3 Bg2 d5 a well known and commonly played variation of the English Opening. Perhaps I'm missing something, in which case that is where a descent index would have been helpful.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 04/26/20 at 00:09:25
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 04/25/20 at 23:11:49:
I know tell me about it. If I am going to spend the money I would like to know what variations it covers so I know I am buying something I would like.

From the chessbase promotion
https://en.chessbase.com/post/new-charlie-storey-the-white-sniper

Quote:
The White Sniper is characterised by three moves against any black setup: 1.g3 2.Bg2 and 3.c4 though not necessarily in that order. Think of The White Sniper as a Hyper-Accelerated Sicilian Dragon against anything that Black plays.

I'm not sure what's recommended if Black's first three moves are Nf6, g6 and Bg7 again not necessarily in that order.

There are many lines in the English where White plays c4, g3 and Bg2, so the Sniper can just be a transposition attempt.

In the "Black Sniper", the author was a bit contemptuous of sequences like 1. d4 g6 2.  e4 Bg7 3. h4. He might then be a bit dismissive of punts with .. h5 against the English

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo