Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Is black suffering in the d3, Bxc6 anti-Berlin? (Read 4519 times)
Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Is black suffering in the d3, Bxc6 anti-Berlin?
Reply #5 - 05/15/20 at 22:42:52
Post Tools
halbstark wrote on 05/15/20 at 22:17:01:
Heuristic wrote on 05/15/20 at 21:14:20:
Carlsen-So Bilbao 2016 is one way of playing it, but White doesn't even need to be that commital right away with a3 b4.. The structure is just way superior for white

I guess a true Berlin player doesn't see this pawn structure as "way superior" for white;)
On a serious note: the pawn structure is nothing berlin specific. You can get this structure from all kind of exchange Ruy Lopez lines (and even in the Rossolimo you might get similar structures). As all these lines are playable, there can not be too much wrong with the black structure. The reason, why Bxc6 is more popular in this specific position is the somewhat misplaced bishop on c5. But in general the black players should not be too afraid of Bxc6.

Black ends up is a worse version of an Exchange Ruy where his Bishop is misplaced after white takes on c6. This has long term consequences. It's not a tempo behind since black has a knight on f6 unlike in the Ruy exchanged, but it does give white extra time and very nice play. As you probably know, pure pawn endgames in the Exchange Ruy are lost for black.

IP Logged

halbstark

Just an average FM

Reply #4 - 05/15/20 at 22:17:01
Post Tools
Heuristic wrote on 05/15/20 at 21:14:20:
Carlsen-So Bilbao 2016 is one way of playing it, but White doesn't even need to be that commital right away with a3 b4.. The structure is just way superior for white

I guess a true Berlin player doesn't see this pawn structure as "way superior" for white;)
On a serious note: the pawn structure is nothing berlin specific. You can get this structure from all kind of exchange Ruy Lopez lines (and even in the Rossolimo you might get similar structures). As all these lines are playable, there can not be too much wrong with the black structure. The reason, why Bxc6 is more popular in this specific position is the somewhat misplaced bishop on c5. But in general the black players should not be too afraid of Bxc6.

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/15/20 at 21:14:20
Post Tools

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/15/20 at 21:05:15
Post Tools
halbstark wrote on 05/15/20 at 20:59:39:

That wasn't the continuation I was referring to. Nakamura is not the best player to look after positionally. His moves were not great and that set-up was dubious. I was referring when White plays positionally: nd2, nc4 etc

IP Logged

halbstark

Just an average FM

Reply #1 - 05/15/20 at 20:59:39
Post Tools
Taking on c6 is certainly a serious line. But since I have seen the following game, I like black chances:
https://share.chessbase.com/SharedGames/share/?p=72LG63hyy7tiBFXwSX6oR3QoqUgcu0e...

Nakamura played some strange moves. (I have no idea, why he first provoked f6 and later g6, as both moves made a lot of sense in the black setup.) But nevertheless I found it really instructive, how Topalov just gave up on the bishop pair, castled ling and showed that long term the remaining lightsquared bishop can easily be the best minor piece on the board as White could not prevent black from opening the kingside.

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Is black suffering in the d3, Bxc6 anti-Berlin?
05/15/20 at 19:59:18
Post Tools
I really feel that black is suffering in the d3 Berlin if White takes on c6.

Have you Berlin players experienced this as well? It's a bit surprising. One would think it's a welcomed line winning the bishop pair. The devil is in the details, though. Blacks position is restricted and weakened. Usually the Bishop pair is more than enough compensation. This time the counter play is not there, it's almost a good knight vs bad bishop structure.

Furthermore, white easily maneuvers and plants a knight on f5, black will be forced to take it.. White holds all the cards in this line and dictates play. You just have to hang on. It's a very underrated continuation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo