Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How is the Byrne variation doing these days? (Read 473 times)
Krudos
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: How is the Byrne variation doing these days?
Reply #5 - 05/22/20 at 15:05:03
Post Tools
I can echo Eric's comments: it is a very cool book!

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #4 - 05/19/20 at 19:12:20
Post Tools
If I may offer a shameless plug, I think that my treatment of the Byrne variation (and related lines) in my book Opening Repertoire: The Modern Samisch is very good.  I wouldn't recommend the Byrne Variation to a player of the Black pieces.

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/19/20 at 11:13:35
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 05/19/20 at 09:23:43:
It got covered back in the January KID update here - seemingly far from fixed, and even slightly mysterious,  status wise.

LC0 seems to agree - it thinks lots of ways white can keep a normative edge, but nothing more than that and there's no single coherent plan it follows for white.

Definitely also check the recent a6, Nbd7 move order - black can avoid having to play c6 entirely vs several white move orders, and has been winning some awfully nice games that way.

I think the issue with the main line Saemisch for black (Be3, d5) is that the pawn pushes makes less sense than usual since white castles long. What often happens is that the pawn pushes can serve as a way to blockade the position, which is not why KID players want to push them. KID players want to play for a win, not fortressses.. And black might even fail at that.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/19/20 at 09:23:43
Post Tools
It got covered back in the January KID update here - seemingly far from fixed, and even slightly mysterious,  status wise.

LC0 seems to agree - it thinks lots of ways white can keep a normative edge, but nothing more than that and there's no single coherent plan it follows for white.

Definitely also check the recent a6, Nbd7 move order - black can avoid having to play c6 entirely vs several white move orders, and has been winning some awfully nice games that way.

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/18/20 at 20:18:16
Post Tools
Fischer famously said that the only variation line of the Kings Indian that he feared was the Saemisch. Hence why he never played the KID against Spassky until 1992...

I can understand based on the other lines but the Byrne one is very promising for black, and I dare the best variation black can hope to play, excluding the drawish exchange variation lines.

IP Logged

Heuristic

I Love ChessPublishing!

How is the Byrne variation doing these days?
05/18/20 at 20:07:14
Post Tools
I noted this to be the most troubling variation for white in the games I played as black, even when I was the weaker player (way back in the day) and ended my fear of the saemisch. How is its reputation these days? It doesn't seem to be employed all that much in famous games. It's mostly main line or panno..

Byrne Variation: 6...c6 and 6...a6 [edit]
Robert Byrne developed a flexible approach where Black plays ...c6 and ...a6 in order to prepare the push ...b5.[18] Black's direct counterstrike in the centre is postponed so that the queenside advance can proceed quickly.

White can decide to halt Black's ...b5 break by playing 7.a4 at the cost of weakening the dark squares on the queenside. After 7...a5, Black has gained control over the b4-square, and will usually win the c5-square as well.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo