Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Correspondence Chess 2020 (Read 15859 times)
Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Correspondence Chess 2020
Reply #14 - 06/29/20 at 12:49:08
Post Tools
Hi.

Ok. So obviously time has passed since thread start and I got a bit into this correspondence thing again. My rate of play has not been fast at all. Games are sort of progressing in the opening phase with some entering the middlegame soon. For opening the strategy across the board as black was something like as long as Leela doesn't see problems go for the line you think look most interesting. This could fail as a strategy on the whole but will be interesting and I think it's best way to learn and gain relevant information for otb use later. As white against 1.e4 e5 I tried to find some recent white wins (not always easy) played by correspondence masters and generally just went for the same line.

New question btw:
Does anyone know how ICCF calculates time on their webserver? I heard something about only counting full days.

Regards.
/CbT

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 06/29/20 at 12:32:43
Post Tools
Hi.

an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 06/28/20 at 22:08:07:
Sorry to hear about your club mate. It was a nice gesture by the family to drop off some of the disks at the club. Usually the family has no idea of the value of the chess collection, or what to do with it.

We have a guy who reads the local paper including obituaries every single day so it is rare that chessplayers here dies without us knowing about it. If we know the person who died was connected to our club and would have had some kind of collection of chess items (usually old books...of which there may be many) we typically contact the estate. Families are usually happy if we can help clear the chess stuff from the things left behind.

Megabase is just data, you don't need a code, unless maybe you want to update it.

Ye. Update will be hard I think.

Really old ChessBase software just needs the disk. They came with a registration code but it was only for support. That's the way my CB-8 works. At some point ChessBase the company changed that so you absolutely needed the code and without online registration it just doesn't work. I'm not sure exactly when they made the change, but I believe CB-9 doesn't need the code and CB-10 does need the code. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Ok. Interesting. This copy is far after that anyway. The code will have been used already I suppose Sad

Cheers.
/CbT

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #12 - 06/28/20 at 22:08:07
Post Tools
Sorry to hear about your club mate. It was a nice gesture by the family to drop off some of the disks at the club. Usually the family has no idea of the value of the chess collection, or what to do with it.

Megabase is just data, you don't need a code, unless maybe you want to update it.

Really old ChessBase software just needs the disk. They came with a registration code but it was only for support. That's the way my CB-8 works. At some point ChessBase the company changed that so you absolutely needed the code and without online registration it just doesn't work. I'm not sure exactly when they made the change, but I believe CB-9 doesn't need the code and CB-10 does need the code. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/28/20 at 20:36:21
Post Tools
Hi.

I was thinking converting from .cbh to .pgn. The other way around I got how to do, but thanks anyway. Smiley

an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 06/28/20 at 19:46:25:
If in fact you are using the full version of ChessBase, the way to convert a .cbh database to .pgn is to create a new empty .pgn database, then drag-and-drop from the .cbh database into the .pgn database.

Got full version of Chessbase so yea. This is good advice for me and it works. Thanks.

Gl with the spare Chessbase copy.
Somewhat ot. Is there any value in old copies of e.g. Chessbase or Megabase etc? Or only with the code included (i.e. unused ones) like your Chessbase copy? We had a person who died of cancer and with that some were left at the club a couple of years ago.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #10 - 06/28/20 at 19:46:25
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 06/28/20 at 08:31:40:
Can I make a .cbh file .pgn so I can add more games?

If you are using the full version of ChessBase, then you could already add games to a .cbh file. So I deduce that you are using the free ChessBase Reader. In which case you can't use it to convert to .pgn. You would need to break down and purchase ChessBase, or find a different software for this conversion.
  • Chess Assistant and/or Aquarium can open .cbh read-only, and convert to native or .pgn format. Neither is free.
  • SCID can open and convert .cbh, and it's free.
  • There is an Android app that can do it. Funny, it would be less expensive to purchase an Android tablet than to pay list price for full ChessBase.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.chess.cb&hl=en_US
  • I have a gently used disk for CB-14 that I can offer for cheap, although you would also have to pay shipping from the USA. PM me if interested. I uninstalled it, and have an email from ChessBase support assuring me that it's fine for someone else to register it. I also have (possibly reluctant) approval from GMTonyKosten to offer it for sale here.

If in fact you are using the full version of ChessBase, the way to convert a .cbh database to .pgn is to create a new empty .pgn database, then drag-and-drop from the .cbh database into the .pgn database.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 06/28/20 at 16:56:27
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 06/28/20 at 08:31:40:
Hi.

New question.

Can I make a .cbh file .pgn so I can add more games? Something tells me no.

Regards Cbt

Yes, when I am gathering games each month. I gather them in pgn. Combine them in pgn. Then use chessbase to switch it to cbh as it works faster with the larger cbh files. Just right click on the pgn file and convert it to cbh format should be the top option.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/28/20 at 08:31:40
Post Tools
Hi.

New question.

Can I make a .cbh file .pgn so I can add more games? Something tells me no.

Regards Cbt

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 05/29/20 at 00:09:55
Post Tools
You generate the tablebases and you point Stockfish to the folder from its options. You can tell it's working if SF starts showing TB evals. Special numbers that show distance to mate etc.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 05/26/20 at 10:48:23
Post Tools
Hi.

After I found the ICCF games I'm not so worried about the opening phase. My opponents have already shown willingness to play mostly mainline stuff (unlike me Smiley), so there are going to be hundreds of relevant games from the ICCF stuff alone. If it is enough that would be great but idk. In correspondence knowing predecessors is sometimes big so missing some would be sorrowful.

VGA wrote on 05/25/20 at 22:39:11:
Stockfish (and its derivatives I suppose) can use Syzygy tablebases. The size of 7-man tablebases is many terrabytes but the 6-man databases are much smaller and practical to generate and use. Something like 70gb I think.

Ok. Is it easy to connect Stockfish to a 6-piece tb? I imagine there would be technologically minded people who have tried to find solutions for getting the 7-piece one but it's not so crucial for me I think. Don't play many games and in the endgame you can often analyse out the positions manually.

MW wrote on 05/26/20 at 00:42:07:
Good luck, ICCF has been great at keeping me mentally active during lockdown.

Thanks!

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 05/26/20 at 10:18:48
Post Tools
Yes that is the gist of the discussion, after all Magnus has been quoted as saying Leela's moves all make sense. Stock is very strong in latter stages. I think an engine that tries to meet VGA's idea is corchess, which is based on using Stock for a bit longer analysis idea. It's easily found by googling Ivan Ivec, and yes updating Stock is a good thing.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 05/26/20 at 00:42:07
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 05/24/20 at 15:49:55:
And of course. Are there known pitfalls and the like that amateurs fall into? My opponents are also new. That being said pretty much everybody will be using strong computer programs. I sort of predict they might make imprecisions but having a super strong computer helping obviously eliminates the risk of totally crazy blunders.

I play ICCF with a rating of 2380....not being much of an IT wiz I simply use an off the shelf version of Komodo 12 on an ordinary laptop...

Having previously been an OTB player I still use opening books currently  The Sicilian Taimanov by Pavlidis and Demuth's Modernized Reti (to name a couple) and the only database source I bother with is ChessBase's I don't even check the ICCF base as I don't know how to download it (all be it I do manually go through some of each opponents recent games to get a feel for what they play before I start each ICCF tournament).

I tend to try and play closed positions as Komodo is inclined to shuffle pieces around in the KID for example. This suits me as it allows me to make the computer look at lines that seem natural to me rather than me just blindly following the computers best move....   

At least this way if I loose or win the odd game I've had some input into it rather than it just being an IT solution which strikes me as pointless...

Good luck, ICCF has been great at keeping me mentally active during lockdown.

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/25/20 at 22:39:11
Post Tools
Stockfish (and its derivatives I suppose) can use Syzygy tablebases. The size of 7-man tablebases is many terrabytes but the 6-man databases are much smaller and practical to generate and use. Something like 70gb I think.

When it comes to Stockfish, every now and then I download fresh builds from

https://abrok.eu/stockfish/

So that I am not stuck with the last stable Stockfish. If there is a Stockfish derivative tuned for long analysis you should probably use that, though. And I really hope you can configure the engine properly for your hardware and purpose.

About "engine-strength" openings, I am not sure but take a look at this freeware opening book

https://sites.google.com/site/computerschess/perfect2019books

Disclaimer: I have never used it myself and I have never played an engine-allowed correspondence game, it just *seems* useful for your purposes.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/25/20 at 12:57:40
Post Tools
Hi.

Pawnpusher wrote on 05/25/20 at 11:40:43:
One idea the guys over at Talkchess discuss is using Leela or Alllie until there are about 16 pieces left, then switching to Stockfish or Brainfish. They seem to think it is the best solution for now.

Ok, thanks I will try to read up on that discussion. The way I take it this means Stockfish might just be overall better in the endgame. Leela gives more interesting suggestions earlier though, so it seems clear you would want to use it previously in the game.

Somehow I still feel like using a combination of say Stockfish and Leela should be best for the early- and middlegame. Perhaps it's not worth it in relation to the extra work you would be putting in though. I think I'll do some analysis project and try to get more experience.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/25/20 at 11:40:43
Post Tools
One idea the guys over at Talkchess discuss is using Leela or Alllie until there are about 16 pieces left, then switching to Stockfish or Brainfish. They seem to think it is the best solution for now.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Correspondence Chess 2020
05/24/20 at 15:49:55
Post Tools
Hey.

With less stuff to do because of Corona I am right now playing in my first correspondence chess tournament in I think 6 years. Beforehand I noticed there is a split in the corr community. Most sites don't allow computer help (with many having anti cheating software). The tournament I am playing is with ICCF rules (computers allowed) however, so please keep that in mind. Afaik only ICCF, Lechenicher and FICGS practice this form of corr.

Basically I wanna win the tournament and be satisfied with my decisions and level of play so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything about modern day (2020) correspondence chess and if they'd be willing to share some insights?

Right now I am for example wondering what databeses to use? I do have access to ICCF games archive. That's a few decent corr games. Is there any big point to getting something else?

I also sort of wonder about chess engines. I have got Leela but an interesting thing to my mind is that it often gives multiple more lines indicated as playable compared to Stockfish (which I use most). Do I just have to bite the bullet and treat most Leela suggested lines as playable and analyse no matter how weird they look? How then do you sort of get forward in the analysis without extraordinary effort?

And of course. Are there known pitfalls and the like that amateurs fall into? My opponents are also new. That being said pretty much everybody will be using strong computer programs. I sort of predict they might make imprecisions but having a super strong computer helping obviously eliminates the risk of totally crazy blunders.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo