Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Burn Variation (Read 537 times)
tapchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Burn Variation
Reply #2 - 06/01/20 at 12:57:22
Post Tools
I suggest you to have a look also at 6...Be7 instead of 6...h6.
This could lead to sharper variations but at the same time is less played, less known , as much as good and it is more fighting.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Burn Variation
Reply #1 - 05/29/20 at 18:05:16
Post Tools
You really should consult Hannes Langrock's book The French Defense, The Solid Rubinstein Variation. The starting position is 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nd7 5.Nf3 Ngf6 and after 6.Bg5 (transposing to the Burn) he investigates h6.
What you avoid via 3...Nf6 are varistions like 6.Nxf6+ and 6.Bd3 iso 6.Bg5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Burn Variation
05/29/20 at 10:53:09
Post Tools
I was thinking of taking up the French again after many years, and am trying to decide what to play against 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5.  I always disliked the McCutcheon, and am not really keen to give up the dark squared bishop so easily with 4...Be7.  I read somewhere that, at GM level, the Burn variation 4...dxe4 is the most popular line.

I was wondering, what is the difference between the Burn and Rubinstein variations?  I know the Rubinstein is considered to be a solid line where the main objective is clean equalisation, and it's difficult for Black to play for a win.  Is this also the case with the Burn (assuming Black isn't playing the sharp ...gxf6 stuff)?

I assume there must be a difference, or else why would anyone play the Burn at all, and not just play 3...dxe4 and deny white the opportunity to play 4.e5?

Also, are there any books that cover the Burn variation for Black?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo