Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Online commentators (Read 2130 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: Online commentators
Reply #5 - 06/13/20 at 06:52:31
Post Tools
Svidler is excellent. Clear in his explanations, deep and thorough. Genuinely engaging. Gustaffson is effective as his foil.
Leko is great too, and I'd like to see much more of him.
I don't see what Trent is thought to bring to the table, and his appearance there at c24 baffles me.
Nice in a way, as an idea, when they brought the superkids in, but they were poor at commentating. As you'd expect - cos kids. Strong at chess, but poor communication skills. One would not expect a strong kid cricket player to replace e.g. Jonathan Agnew and to be as good. Commentating is not playing - it is different.

Miroschnichenko I have found interesting. Thumbs up.

chess.com commentators - overall, no

IP Logged

BadDays
YaBB Newbies

aspiring patzer

Reply #4 - 06/12/20 at 05:18:37
Post Tools
I agree that the chess24 team is brilliant. Gustafsson and both Peters are excellent and of the regular "guest" commentators, Carlsen and particularly Grichuk are really engaging. I do think that those broadcasts aim for somewhat higher-level players than the Saint Louis broadcasts for example.

If I remember correctly, Robin van Kampen and Eric Hansen did great commentary for the Carlsen - Karjakin match.

But the best? Svidler and Leko are very close in my opinion.

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 06/11/20 at 16:58:52
Post Tools
The chess24 channel has the best/strongest commentators but the disadvantage is that they throw out deep variations verbally. It requires a reasonable level of tactics sharpness from the viewer, except in cases where IM Tanya puts moves on the board and explains more. I also love IM Lawrence Trent as a wildcard.

I am talking about the recent Lindores rapid tournament commentator team.

I would like to see GM Aman Hambleton and GM Eric Hansen (the two guys in the chessbrah channel) commentate more often.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 06/11/20 at 08:20:25
Post Tools
Leko and Svidler are both great. I concur!

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #1 - 06/10/20 at 18:37:34
Post Tools
I agree with LeeRoth's remarks about Peter Svidler's excellent commentary, and I've also been impressed by Peter Leko, who demonstrates an instinctive feel for what's going on in most positions. I've particularly enjoyed watching the two of them commentating together, with Peter L's largely verbal explanations and Peter S's more concrete approach complementing each other nicely.

One thing that shouldn't be underestimated, in my view, is the importance of the role played by co-commentators. I do enjoy Evgenij Miroshnichenko's appearances, but if he's on his own, he's inclined to wander off into overlong digressions. When Anna Rudolf was paired with him for some tournament or other recently, her contribution helped to rein this tendency in very effectively. In spite of Miro's curious and slightly annoying habit of almost immediately repeating verbatim just about everything he says, he's a knowledgeable and insightful commentator, and Rudolf was extremely good at identifying what he might talk about, and when he should be asked to explain or expand on the points he was making. They only worked together on one event, as far as I'm aware, but I hope they're paired together again in the future.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Online commentators
06/10/20 at 17:29:50
Post Tools
With all the online tournaments to watch, thought it might be time to resurrect the old questions -- who is the best commentator?

Among those commenting in English, I think Peter Svidler is the best.  Super impressive how much he sees and how quickly, and he is good at explaining it. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo