Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Online commentators (Read 2126 times)
grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Online commentators
Reply #20 - 08/18/20 at 17:05:34
Post Tools
How about Tania Sachdev?

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 06/29/20 at 12:28:05
Post Tools
I think Seirawan is better when commentating longer games, not 3 simultaneous rapid games. Peter Svidler is a *monster* player and dives right into deep complications, move order issues or theoretical debates quickly. While Seirawan talks slowly, calculates sloooowwwlyyy and wants to recount life stories or historical tidbits Cheesy

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #18 - 06/22/20 at 10:12:50
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 06/22/20 at 02:46:05:
It appears to be more a clash of styles.  Svidler is concrete and aims his comments at a higher level of player.  Seirawan is trying to keep things light and appeal to the masses.

It was precisely this difference of approach that I'd hoped might make for an effective pairing, with the styles complementing each other rather than clashing. That isn't happening at the moment.

LeeRoth wrote on 06/22/20 at 02:46:05:
Even so, the first round today was cringeworthy.  Svidler solicited Seirawan’s opinion a number of times, only to end up correcting Seirawan and pointing out things he missed.

Absolutely right, and the second round was no better. I think it's a clash of personalities, as much as a clash of styles, that's at the root of it. Svidler seems to get impatient with Seirawan's meandering and anecdote-laden style, and doesn't seem to find any of Seirawan's humorous remarks even remotely amusing. Seirawan, for his part, seems reluctant to stick his head above the parapet and risk getting contradicted any more than necessary. It's actually a little uncomfortable to watch, I find.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #17 - 06/22/20 at 06:23:07
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 06/22/20 at 01:31:01:
We all have personality traits in different extent. So the following is no judgement in categories of good or bad.

If you look at Seirawan before he talks he is probably over average in narcism. If he speaks you have some more cues in this direction. This makes a good cooperation with people of equal strength or stronger unprobable. It may happen. He will work best together with some admiring him for his performances. Best is a woman as long as she does this.

Based on reading about him for about 35 years, closely observing him at a tournament environment for about a week, and strongly interacting with him for about an hour (not a chess game), my non-professional opinion is that Seirawan is completely unremarkable in narcissism. I haven't noticed any.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 06/22/20 at 03:53:08
Post Tools
I think Seirawan has spent too many years under the STLCC orders of talk to a 1000 rated player. If you go back and watch his commentary from ICC days, he used to be much better when he talked to you like you were 1600-2000.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #15 - 06/22/20 at 02:46:05
Post Tools
I don’t think it has anything to do with narcissism.  It appears to be more a clash of styles.  Svidler is concrete and aims his comments at a higher level of player.  Seirawan is trying to keep things light and appeal to the masses. 

Even so, the first round today was cringeworthy.  Svidler solicited Seirawan’s opinion a number of times, only to end up correcting Seirawan and pointing out things he missed.  After a while, it basically became a Svidler soliloquy with Seirawan falling back into the host and sales roles.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #14 - 06/22/20 at 01:31:01
Post Tools
We all have personality traits in different extent. So the following is no judgement in categories of good or bad.

If you look at Seirawan before he talks he is probably over average in narcism. If he speaks you have some more cues in this direction. This makes a good cooperation with people of equal strength or stronger unprobable. It may happen. He will work best together with some admiring him for his performances. Best is a woman as long as she does this.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #13 - 06/21/20 at 00:02:21
Post Tools
I don't feel the pairing is working as well as I'd thought it would, not yet anyway. In the St Louis Chess Club broadcasts, Seirawan is very good at explaining ideas and plans, leaving most of the concrete analysis to Maurice Ashley and his computer. But there, he's very much the big beast, whereas here I got the feeling that he was somewhat in awe of Svidler and reluctant to express too many opinions for fear of having them shot down. They also both kept interrupting and talking over each other, which I hope is simply a symptom of them not being used to one another. Perhaps they'll overcome this as time goes on.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #12 - 06/20/20 at 23:24:13
Post Tools
I missed Gustafsson today.  I don’t get the love for Seirawan.  In the bits I watched he told some stories, made a few comments, and laughed a little, but he left most of the analysis to Svidler and didn’t seem to contribute very much. 
« Last Edit: 06/21/20 at 13:33:11 by LeeRoth »  

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #11 - 06/20/20 at 15:52:13
Post Tools
Watching the Chessable Masters today, I feel that Svidler and Seirawan are practically an ideal line-up. And Anna Rudolf, unlike Trent, is too humble to keep interrupting them.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 06/15/20 at 08:24:09
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 06/14/20 at 22:24:51:
trw wrote on 06/14/20 at 20:08:23:
Why commentators like Trent have taken on the persona that they have I will never understand

I suppose the idea is to widen the appeal of the commentary by making it a bit more accessible to weaker players, for whom four hours of, say, Svidler and Leko would be almost entirely incomprehensible. A bit of humour and light-hearted banter initiated by Lawrence Trent -- who I would argue usually fulfils the role of a master of ceremonies rather than a commentator as such -- gives less experienced chess players among the audience something to enjoy and engage with. I'm not a fan of Trent myself, nor of the Seirawan/Ashley/Shahade team of the St Louis Chess Club, but I think commentary providers are catering for such a diverse audience in terms of playing-ability levels that it would be impossible to please all of the people all of the time. So while I cringe slightly when, for example, Maurice Ashley gushes excitedly over the fact that someone has pushed a g-pawn up the board, I do think this approach to commentary is playing a role in popularising the game. It helps to make chess fun and understandable for the sort of player who might happily spend time playing on the internet, but who has never studied the game seriously, or possibly even at all. And, judging by the Chat boxes that accompany the commentary, that sort of player makes up a far from insignificant part of the audience.

While I agree with you, I don't think it is done well. The old Mig or Tony Rook position was a much better executed master of ceremonies that Jen/Maurice/Trent/Botez/etc cannot deliver.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #9 - 06/14/20 at 22:24:51
Post Tools
trw wrote on 06/14/20 at 20:08:23:
Why commentators like Trent have taken on the persona that they have I will never understand

I suppose the idea is to widen the appeal of the commentary by making it a bit more accessible to weaker players, for whom four hours of, say, Svidler and Leko would be almost entirely incomprehensible. A bit of humour and light-hearted banter initiated by Lawrence Trent -- who I would argue usually fulfils the role of a master of ceremonies rather than a commentator as such -- gives less experienced chess players among the audience something to enjoy and engage with. I'm not a fan of Trent myself, nor of the Seirawan/Ashley/Shahade team of the St Louis Chess Club, but I think commentary providers are catering for such a diverse audience in terms of playing-ability levels that it would be impossible to please all of the people all of the time. So while I cringe slightly when, for example, Maurice Ashley gushes excitedly over the fact that someone has pushed a g-pawn up the board, I do think this approach to commentary is playing a role in popularising the game. It helps to make chess fun and understandable for the sort of player who might happily spend time playing on the internet, but who has never studied the game seriously, or possibly even at all. And, judging by the Chat boxes that accompany the commentary, that sort of player makes up a far from insignificant part of the audience.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/14/20 at 20:08:23
Post Tools
Honestly if they have Carlsen, Svidler, Leko, Grischuk, Nakamura, Anand, Kramnik, Kasparov, Judit then I will probably listen no matter who else is commenting. If they don't have one of those but they have Jen Shahade, Trent, Botez then I won't listen no matter who else is on the team. TBH, I kinda miss the old ICC teams of Mig/LarryC/Seirawan when he wasn't talking to us like were an idiot and guests like Svidler/Kamsky. Why commentators like Trent have taken on the persona that they have I will never understand.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/14/20 at 07:01:11
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 06/14/20 at 06:50:34:
Strongly agree re Trent. Not only does he have little to say, but I find his cheekie chappie schtick quite annoying.

Same here. I have stopped watching the commentary when he is in the line-up.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #6 - 06/14/20 at 06:50:34
Post Tools
Strongly agree re Trent. Not only does he have little to say, but I find his cheekie chappie schtick quite annoying.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo