Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pruijssers & Zwirs repertoire for White (Read 284 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Pruijssers & Zwirs repertoire for White
Reply #2 - 06/17/20 at 21:14:48
Post Tools
How much of this is cultural? It must be incredibly difficult to make videos in only a few languages that will appeal to a worldwide audience. Even more so as (a) chess skill and presenting skill don't necessarily overlap, and (b) we fully expect the chess content to be produced by the presenter.

I remember initially watching The Holocaust (USA produced television miniseries) in France, dubbed in French. For Michael Moriarty's German character they chose a deep guttural voice. Later I saw it again in English, and was shocked how differently I viewed the character in Moriarty's own softer and higher voice. At the time I thought the French producers did this intentionally because they couldn't allow for any complexity in the German role, but today I wonder if it's entirely my bias against deep voices (except my own of course).

I don't suppose chess has anything like test screening for videos, but somebody has to be making the call: yes, okay, that will work. Is it just one person deciding for all ChessBase DVDs? What are their criteria? I have a suspicion these videos are so low-risk they will greenlight just about anything.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Pruijssers & Zwirs repertoire for White
Reply #1 - 06/17/20 at 20:23:44
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 06/17/20 at 12:33:40:
ChessBase have released a 3-DVD repertoire for White in the Open Sicilian by GM Roeland Pruijssers and IM Nico Zwirs. A lot of English Attack stuff: it reminds me of Shaw's repertoire for Quality Chess, or Bologan's old DVDs. There's a special offer if you buy all three plus a fourth one on typical tactics.

I might be tempted by this if it were Pruijssers alone, but I don't understand the current fad for having two presenters. Sometimes it works (Simon Williams is good at being the stooge) but more often it's embarrassing (e.g. Fiona Steil-Antoni's girly giggling alongside Alex Astaneh Lopez). In the introductory videos Pruijssers and Zwirs' teamwork is less than polished, and I suspect this could get annoying. Maybe it gets better as they get into the actual content, but how are we to know?

I didn't think much about this after watching the promotional video clips, but you make some excellent points, and I definitely think it would become unbearably annoying if the actual videos are anything like that. However the subject matter is so irresistibly titillating that I am certain to talk myself into getting these eventually. In any case it could hardly be worse than suffering through Pavel Eljanov Breyer dvd, I am still unable to bring myself to finish watch it and just use the attached pgn/cbh files instead, easier on the ears that way.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Straggler

Pruijssers & Zwirs repertoire for White
06/17/20 at 12:33:40
Post Tools
ChessBase have released a 3-DVD repertoire for White in the Open Sicilian by GM Roeland Pruijssers and IM Nico Zwirs. A lot of English Attack stuff: it reminds me of Shaw's repertoire for Quality Chess, or Bologan's old DVDs. There's a special offer if you buy all three plus a fourth one on typical tactics.

I might be tempted by this if it were Pruijssers alone, but I don't understand the current fad for having two presenters. Sometimes it works (Simon Williams is good at being the stooge) but more often it's embarrassing (e.g. Fiona Steil-Antoni's girly giggling alongside Alex Astaneh Lopez). In the introductory videos Pruijssers and Zwirs' teamwork is less than polished, and I suspect this could get annoying. Maybe it gets better as they get into the actual content, but how are we to know?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo