Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Stockfish NNUE (Read 1388 times)
MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Stockfish NNUE vs LCO
Reply #9 - 09/09/20 at 21:30:05
Post Tools
Stockfish NNUE doesn't seem to need an expensive GPU.  Can someone explain why LCO needs one and Stockfish NNUE doesn't or otherwise compare the two approaches (in simple language)?   I looked at the Stockfish blog and couldn't figure this out.  The reason I ask is that I have an opportunity to buy a new desktop computer with a decent GPU and wonder if the GPU will become irrelevant for chess with Stockfish NNUE out.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Stockfish NNUE
Reply #8 - 08/06/20 at 10:46:28
Post Tools
From what I read, NNUE is widely considered to be a significant gain in ELO. The Stockfish developers are now producing versions of NNUE almost daily and new nets are being produced daily as well. As you would suppose there is a great amount of testing but a large majority of testers find large gains over Stockfish 11. I think maybe the next tests should pit NNUE and Leela and/or Allie.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #7 - 08/04/20 at 05:52:01
Post Tools
My best scoring net of Leela in my own generated 100 games-match won earlier this year with 52-48 against Stockfish 11.

I just finished a new 100 games-match with same batch of positions between Stockfish NNUE (version of 29th of July) and that same Leela version. Stockfish NNUE won with 51-49 so scoring 6 extra wins/ half points compared with Stockfish 11 over the 100 games.

I downloaded the Stockfish NNUE at http://rebel13.nl/download/stockfish-nnue.html. It was straightforward to install.There they claim that it is almost 100 points stronger already than Stockfish 11 but that seems to me exaggerated. Of course a lot depends on the setup and mix of chosen positions but more realistic seems to me a gain of about 35 points.

There are 3 options of the Stockfish NNUE available: avx2, bmi2 and popc. On my PC popc was slightly faster and is also the recommended one if you don't know.

I also switched off the default contempt as my intention of the tests is of course to get the strongest engine to analyze afterwards on my PCs (I use 2). Number of instances was set to 4 as that seems to be the maximum on my PC.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 07/24/20 at 10:15:57
Post Tools
Yes and the Sergio nets are updated very often, just avoid the experimental ones the reviews are mixed.

IP Logged

mattchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 07/23/20 at 16:10:04
Post Tools
NN recommended by Deadwing on discord as being one of the strongest currently 20200722-2141.bin

https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~sergio-v/nnue/

IP Logged

mattchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 07/23/20 at 15:50:17
Post Tools
Pawnpusher wrote on 07/23/20 at 10:45:20:
And you definitely want to look at nodchip on github.

Yes - lots of resources and now I am on the discord channel - thanks Pawnslinger
« Last Edit: 07/23/20 at 17:15:56 by mattchess »  
IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 07/23/20 at 10:45:20
Post Tools
And you definitely want to look at nodchip on github.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/23/20 at 10:43:22
Post Tools
You could look on the discord channel, there is much discussion and a list of resources.

IP Logged

mattchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/22/20 at 19:29:41
Post Tools
https://www.welshccf.org.uk/content/68

Good info on NNUE that I was pointed to by Centipawn over on the Aquarium forum

IP Logged

mattchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Stockfish NNUE
07/22/20 at 17:38:00
Post Tools
Has anyone experimented with Stockfish NNUE?

https://www.chess.com/news/view/stockfishnnue-strongest-chess-engine-ever-to-com...

https://github.com/joergoster/Stockfish-NNUE

I am wondering if there is anybody publishing networks - for example what network is being used for the CCCC?  Is it the same one currently on github?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo