Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Krykun on 1.e4 e5! with Open Spanish (Read 7366 times)
rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Re: Krykun on 1.e4 e5! with Open Spanish
Reply #16 - 09/05/20 at 14:11:07
Post Tools
There seems to be a first review by German IM:

https://www.niggemann.com/de/complete-repertoire-for-black-after-1-e4-e5.html

Overall, I gave it 3,5 out of 5 stars.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #15 - 09/03/20 at 01:33:30
Post Tools
5...Qf6 in the Exchange Spanish, 5...Be7 in the Evans.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/02/20 at 14:24:16
Post Tools
If someone already has the book, a more detailed overview of the suggested lines for Black should be much appreciated. For example, what is covered vs. the Evans Gambit, Exchange Ruy? King's Gambit? etc. etc. The PDF from Thinkers is, as usual, not too detailed.
« Last Edit: 09/02/20 at 17:27:04 by grandpatzer »  

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #13 - 08/08/20 at 12:14:03
Post Tools
Never thought about 6. ...Qg6, but as expected, the engine came up with some weird moves and suddenly it's playable:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Nxd4 Bc5 5. Be3 Qf6
6. c3 Qg6 7. Nb5 Bxe3 8. Nxc7+ Kd8 9. Nxa8 Bh6

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #12 - 08/08/20 at 07:56:15
Post Tools
Isn't it the same problem with his choices against the Ruy Lopez? Both 6...Be7 and 7...exd4 in the Open Spanish seem horribly difficult to play.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #11 - 08/07/20 at 20:52:05
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 08/06/20 at 20:47:03:
Krykun wrote somewhere on Chessable that the physical book has more variations than the course, but the extra material is mostly non-essential stuff added due to the publisher pushing for completeness.

About the layout and page count: The trend is clearly that even opening books meant for amateurs are getting longer and longer. Less than 150 pages used to be entirely standard, as in the classical slim Everyman and Gambit paperbacks of 10-20 years ago. Maybe Thinkers want to keep up with the ballooning page counts, but they might have fiddled with the layout and cut it down to less than 200 pages to buck the trend. Anyway, that wouldn't change the actual content.

I think the course was always meant to be a a fairly compact introduction to 1.e4 e5 for Black, hence the choice of low-theory lines against the Ruy and the Scotch. The line choice in the Scotch has come under a bit of criticism for being passive and hard to play in practice. I know Krykun is aware of this, but i don't know if he has replaced it or added an alternative for the physical book.
https://www.chessable.com/discussion/thread/199279/worth-adding-another-line-in-...

Yeah that particular suggestion against the Scotch is pretty awful, makes me wonder what he was thinking there, but overall it looks to be a well thought out course.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #10 - 08/07/20 at 18:07:45
Post Tools
AlanG wrote on 08/07/20 at 17:41:23:
The line choice in the Scotch has come under a bit of criticism for being passive and hard to play in practice. I know Krykun is aware of this, but i don't know if he has replaced it or added an alternative for the physical book.

He's already added an alternative line to the Chessable course - the 5...Qf6 6.c3 Qg6!? line as suggested in that thread.

Good to hear. Probably this more combative line is in the book too, then.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

AlanG

Reply #9 - 08/07/20 at 17:41:23
Post Tools
The line choice in the Scotch has come under a bit of criticism for being passive and hard to play in practice. I know Krykun is aware of this, but i don't know if he has replaced it or added an alternative for the physical book.

He's already added an alternative line to the Chessable course - the 5...Qf6 6.c3 Qg6!? line as suggested in that thread.

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 08/07/20 at 06:24:53
Post Tools
Hi all.
I' am still looking around for a good and easy variation against the d3-Italian. How is your impression on that one in the chassable-course by him.?
Thanks in advance

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 08/07/20 at 05:20:35
Post Tools
From the preview: "I would like to show you one fine idea which quickly neutralize the Urusov Gambit, a pesky sideline. 2...Nf6 3.Nf3!? ..... Nxe4 4.Nc3 Some players choose this line occasionally looking for interesting compensation if Black decides to take on c3 and try to hold on to his extra pawn. But we have a lovely solution here! 4...Nc6!"

I hope for the readers that FM Krykun doesn't forget the Boden-Kieseritzky Gambit 4.d4.  Tongue

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 08/06/20 at 22:31:28
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 08/06/20 at 20:15:09:
Note that the pages of the physical book consist only of the area between the "half-crosshairs" in the corners.

Oh yeah, I noticed the cut marks, I wasn't talking about the margins. I was jarred more by the number of completely blank pages. And I did check that the pages in the sample line up with the page numbers in the Table of Contents on page 5. The publisher seems to be obsessed with having section and chapter breaks appear on odd-numbered pages. That results in a preceding even-numbered page being blank more than half the time. (I'll let you work out why it's more than half.)

Six pages on second-rate move-2 choices for white seems, at first, like a lot. But then I checked. Page 13 consists of "1.e4 e5" and a diagram. Page 14 is blank. Pages 15-16 are not exactly dense with analysis. Then it's the end of the sample. I was wondering how much more was in the chapter, but there aren't many pages left. Remember, there's a 50-50 chance that page 18 is completely blank, to force chapter two to start on an odd page.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 08/06/20 at 20:47:03
Post Tools
Krykun wrote somewhere on Chessable that the physical book has more variations than the course, but the extra material is mostly non-essential stuff added due to the publisher pushing for completeness.

About the layout and page count: The trend is clearly that even opening books meant for amateurs are getting longer and longer. Less than 150 pages used to be entirely standard, as in the classical slim Everyman and Gambit paperbacks of 10-20 years ago. Maybe Thinkers want to keep up with the ballooning page counts, but they might have fiddled with the layout and cut it down to less than 200 pages to buck the trend. Anyway, that wouldn't change the actual content.

I think the course was always meant to be a a fairly compact introduction to 1.e4 e5 for Black, hence the choice of low-theory lines against the Ruy and the Scotch. The line choice in the Scotch has come under a bit of criticism for being passive and hard to play in practice. I know Krykun is aware of this, but i don't know if he has replaced it or added an alternative for the physical book.
https://www.chessable.com/discussion/thread/199279/worth-adding-another-line-in-...

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #4 - 08/06/20 at 20:19:58
Post Tools
Here's the Chessable course that it seems to be based on, by the way: https://www.chessable.com/unleash-the-bull-1e5-a-full-repertoire-for-black/cours...

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #3 - 08/06/20 at 20:15:09
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 08/06/20 at 18:00:51:
The sample pages have an "impressive" amount of white space.

Note that the pages of the physical book consist only of the area between the "half-crosshairs" in the corners.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/20 at 18:10:07
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 08/06/20 at 18:00:51:
The sample pages have an "impressive" amount of white space.

Thinkers Publishing seems to be #1 in terms of diagrams* and white space.

*rather ugly diagrams at that

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo