Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Squeezing the KID (Read 1953 times)
Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Re: Squeezing the KID
Reply #16 - 10/18/20 at 08:25:08
Post Tools
Yes, was wondering the same.
Mind you, new chap is gloriously named.
Reminds me of this:
https://www.avclub.com/check-out-these-wonderful-american-names-from-a-90s-j-181...

Hopefully Bobson Dugnutt will join us in time too.

For completists, here is the full roster:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KOP4mNAX5R0N_dODE6j2gHTK2oTXCIrhAQ0dEnia...

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #15 - 09/17/20 at 19:47:29
Post Tools
What happened to vigorito?

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

FreeRepublic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/14/20 at 12:45:53
Post Tools
I neglected to mention that ChessPublishing CBV and PGN files upload without any problem into the programs that I use. There are about 150 annotated games with the starting position of the Gligoric variation. There are probably more through transposition, e.g. and early ...Nbd2 or ...Na6. Annotators include Vigorito, Martin, Golubev, Mikakhalevski, and Gallagher.

Chess Informant also has electronic files. For example, you can replace shelves of Chess Informant with an electronic file.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 09/13/20 at 19:46:17
Post Tools
Viewed from the black perspective, a book devoted to the Gligoric system seems a little overspecialized to me. From white's perspective, as here, it makes a lot of sense.

I only have one Ebook from Forward chess. Their integrated data base and book is a good idea. Stockfish 10 is included. There is online access to all games from a given position. My only complaint is there is no way, that I am aware of, to save analysis. A discounted bundle, for example from Kotronias or Negi, would appeal to me.

My experience with Modern Chess is that their files read in great my programs. A big plus.

Everyman CBV files work great, but I've had to work with their PGN files. I find their bundles of older books to be very useful. The old classic games, with commentary, are just fine IMO. They only need to be supplemented for those lines with new theory. It's great to have these older titles, some I have in paperback, in electronic form. $75 for 10 Starting Out books is OK, but $50 seems more reasonable given their age.

IP Logged

dali
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 09/13/20 at 15:23:46
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 09/12/20 at 22:02:50:
@dali

I would suggest writing to Modern Chess about this.

I have written to them about a couple of things, and they respond positively, thoughtfully and sensibly. As do Chessable, as do Quality Chess. Strikes me they are very much trying to do a proper job there (unlike say at Everyman which seems incredibly cynical, looking at their recycling output), so they would want to know where issues are.

Out of interest, may we inquire which line?

I actually told an IM friend of mine, who did indeed drop them a note. He said he did not get a response though.

The line 8...Nc6 9.d5 Qa5 10.Rb1 a6. Krykun calls this almost losing and gives 11.Bxc6+ bxc6 12.0-0 Qxa2 because of 13.Rb2!
All well and good, but Black has not played 12...Qxa2 since 2014 however, and in the last few years Black almost always plays 12...0-0 which is not covered in the database. See Flores-Jones, FIDE World Cup 2019 for example, where Black won rather easily. That kind of kills the credibility for me - either the move was overlooked, or deliberately omitted because it doesn't fit the desired narrative; either way it's bad.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #11 - 09/13/20 at 08:26:29
Post Tools
winawer77 wrote on 09/13/20 at 06:32:30:
Slightly off-topic, but while Modern-Chess is being discussed I thought it a good moment to ask.

I’m interested in some of their courses, certainly the free sample given in one course looks quite comprehensive. My question is, is it all online, or do you get a PGN download as well?

On the subject of Squeezing the KID - I’ve always had a good impression of Chess Stars books, and I don’t see this one being any different. I’d prefer a more fixed pawn structure approach, rather than the one they’re suggesting, but that’s personal preference.

Yes, they offer a pgn download.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #10 - 09/13/20 at 06:32:30
Post Tools
Slightly off-topic, but while Modern-Chess is being discussed I thought it a good moment to ask.

I’m interested in some of their courses, certainly the free sample given in one course looks quite comprehensive. My question is, is it all online, or do you get a PGN download as well?

On the subject of Squeezing the KID - I’ve always had a good impression of Chess Stars books, and I don’t see this one being any different. I’d prefer a more fixed pawn structure approach, rather than the one they’re suggesting, but that’s personal preference.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #9 - 09/12/20 at 22:02:50
Post Tools
@dali

I would suggest writing to Modern Chess about this.

I have written to them about a couple of things, and they respond positively, thoughtfully and sensibly. As do Chessable, as do Quality Chess. Strikes me they are very much trying to do a proper job there (unlike say at Everyman which seems incredibly cynical, looking at their recycling output), so they would want to know where issues are.

Out of interest, may we inquire which line?

IP Logged

dali
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 09/12/20 at 13:22:51
Post Tools
I wondered the same thing. I got his modern-chess Anti-Grunfeld database, and it was missing what I consider to be the key line for Black (and I'm no Grunfeld expert), so that made the whole thing a bit of a bust.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #7 - 09/11/20 at 19:44:02
Post Tools
Doesn't anyone find it curious that this Krykun chap is suddenly showing up all over the place, writing about every opening under the sun. This is usually a red flag pointing towards superficiality, or unreliability but I like to keep an open mind. So what say those in the know, is Krykun an exception to the rule.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Pantu

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/11/20 at 17:15:03
Post Tools
This seems to be available now, anybody have it already and have some thoughts? I'm tempted to pick it up on ForwardChess.

I do note that Krykun has played 7.Be3 only twice according to my database (but there are not so many of his games there) and both games went 7.Be3 Ng4 8.Bg5 f6 9.Bc1, rather than 9.Bh4 which is proposed in the book.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #5 - 08/30/20 at 07:49:40
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 08/29/20 at 19:23:33:
It's the difference between a knife with a proper handle, and a knife with a blade on each end.

But they do say that if you play sharp openings you're likely to cut yourself ...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 08/30/20 at 03:23:23
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 08/30/20 at 01:08:33:
maybe this is just another book to churn out?

That's a bit harsh. Whether or not the authors regularly play the line they're writing about (and here you seem to be correct that they don't), Chess Stars books are, in my experience, of good quality, and a work dealing with the Gligoric is long overdue. Chess Stars is Semkov's business, I believe, and if your line of work is publishing chess books, you'll sooner or later run out of lines that you're personally familar with. There are far worse culprits for 'churning things out', I think it's fair to say.

More provocative than harsh. It could hardly be considered a real judgment, given that I haven't seen the book yet. That's why it was phrased as a question.

Everything you wrote in reply is true, yet for myself I still prefer a book which has a little of the author's "chess interest" behind it, as opposed to filling a gap in the market or other such business motivations. And an author can write a book of "sufficient" quality, and yet it can be fair to weigh that book against other books.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #3 - 08/30/20 at 01:08:33
Post Tools
It's the difference between a knife with a proper handle, and a knife with a blade on each end.

Very nice! I like that explanation!

maybe this is just another book to churn out?

That's a bit harsh. Whether or not the authors regularly play the line they're writing about (and here you seem to be correct that they don't), Chess Stars books are, in my experience, of good quality, and a work dealing with the Gligoric is long overdue. Chess Stars is Semkov's business, I believe, and if your line of work is publishing chess books, you'll sooner or later run out of lines that you're personally familar with. There are far worse culprits for 'churning things out', I think it's fair to say.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 08/29/20 at 19:23:33
Post Tools

But I note that Semkov's Kill Kid had, to my eye, some double-edged lines. I think that one was based on his own preferences, whereas maybe this is just another book to churn out?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo