Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Repertoires for Black vs. the English / Flank Op. (Read 10191 times)
Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Re: Repertoires for Black vs. the English / Flank Op.
Reply #22 - 09/09/21 at 10:58:03
Post Tools
Blogging in general is unfortunately in headlong retreat, I imagine largely for the reasons Brabo outlined.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #21 - 09/09/21 at 03:04:33
Post Tools
@Brabo
That’s a pity if you have stopped. I guess people doing blogs might not get much love, and maybe don’t get many comments there.

But I’ll just say here that I visited your blog a good few times after you posted about it and was impressed by the content you posted. Interesting, useful and enjoyable stuff. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #20 - 09/08/21 at 10:30:47
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 09/08/21 at 09:23:12:
TopNotch wrote on 09/08/21 at 00:32:45:
You gotta love when 17 replies in and the original poster that asked the question shows no interest in the answers.

Very disrespectful trolling behaviour in my opinion.

If disrespect is the reason, yes.

But: We don't know it. And the topic is very probably interesting for others too.

The account hasn't been online for 6 months.

Anyway we are living in a consumer-society. People always want to consume but very rarely contribute. I am more and more annoyed by it as it slows down or even blocks innovations.
It is the main-reason why I stopped with my English chess-blog. I was always giving and never getting something back. It just felt ridiculous.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #19 - 09/08/21 at 09:23:12
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 09/08/21 at 00:32:45:
You gotta love when 17 replies in and the original poster that asked the question shows no interest in the answers.

If disrespect is the reason, yes.

But: We don't know it. And the topic is very probably interesting for others too.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #18 - 09/08/21 at 00:32:45
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 09/15/20 at 11:15:49:
As subject above, what are the best repertoire books vs. the English and eventually other Flank Openings?

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

RivertonKnight

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 06/29/21 at 00:35:12
Post Tools
The Modernized Dutch Defense prefers 7...c6 lines.

IP Logged

Darthmambo

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #16 - 06/04/21 at 18:36:35
Post Tools
AlbertCamus wrote on 05/31/21 at 14:44:26:
There is Adrien Demuth's "The Modernized Defense". It has exhaustive covery of the English and Réti moveorders. He recommends a setup with f5, g6, Nf6, Bg7, e5, d6 and Nc6 (this one only in some cases).

In general it is an excellent book that really tries to move theory two steps further by also looking for challenging white tries.

Thanks for the info. I am just curious, which line in the lenegrad does he reconmend? C6 or qe8?

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #15 - 05/31/21 at 16:37:28
Post Tools
Darthmambo wrote on 05/30/21 at 00:23:45:
Stigma wrote on 09/16/20 at 23:50:48:
If you have patience, Chessable have a "Lifetime Repertoire: Symmetrical English" by David Vigorito in the pipeline.

All I have seen is a call for beta testers, so I have no information on the contents. Nor on the quality obviously, but off the top of my head I can't recall any opening works by Vigorito that weren't well received.

I actually been looking for something vs the english and saw the short and sweet on this course. I was impressed, im still looking but I might actually go with his reconmendstion if I do not find anything else I like.

It's free, check it out.

I highly recommend this course.  Cheesy

IP Logged

AlbertCamus
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 05/31/21 at 14:44:26
Post Tools
There is Adrien Demuth's "The Modernized Defense". It has exhaustive covery of the English and Réti moveorders. He recommends a setup with f5, g6, Nf6, Bg7, e5, d6 and Nc6 (this one only in some cases).

In general it is an excellent book that really tries to move theory two steps further by also looking for challenging white tries.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 05/31/21 at 13:51:29
Post Tools
Darthmambo wrote on 05/31/21 at 06:14:22:
Are there any books that cover more of a closed sicilian type set up as black vs the english?

Good question, and I look forward to the answers you may get.

There are several books on the English from white's perspective. They cover everything and may not give a lot of attention to this line. Also, some Opening Repertoire books for white narrow their focus in some other direction.

ChessPublishing has a playable eBook (CBV, May 2021) on the "King's English" that certainly deserves a look if you have access to it.

From black's perspective, what is the best move order? I suggest 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6, and if 3Nf3 f5. Apparently a reversed Grand Prix attack. Now the game can go it's own way with 4d4 e4. This does not appear to be too fashionable these days. Is white ducking these lines?

I think play is more likely to proceed 1c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3g3 g6, when it is quite likely that you will get your reversed Closed Sicilian. According to my venerable ECO, these lines can be found in A25 and A26. I think black is O.K.. Both players can find something interesting.

The lines are out of fashion now, with the reversed classical Dragon taking the limelight instead. I think a reversed closed Sicilian, like the closed Sicilian itself, somewhat shifts the emphasis from the opening to the middle game.
« Last Edit: 06/01/21 at 00:19:01 by FreeRepublic »  

IP Logged

Darthmambo

Reply #12 - 05/31/21 at 06:14:22
Post Tools
Are there any books that cover more of a closed sicilian type set up as black vs the english?

IP Logged

Darthmambo

Reply #11 - 05/30/21 at 00:23:45
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 09/16/20 at 23:50:48:
If you have patience, Chessable have a "Lifetime Repertoire: Symmetrical English" by David Vigorito in the pipeline.

All I have seen is a call for beta testers, so I have no information on the contents. Nor on the quality obviously, but off the top of my head I can't recall any opening works by Vigorito that weren't well received.

I actually been looking for something vs the english and saw the short and sweet on this course. I was impressed, im still looking but I might actually go with his reconmendstion if I do not find anything else I like.

It's free, check it out.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #10 - 09/17/20 at 12:26:43
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 09/17/20 at 12:02:47:
As I recall, Mikhalevski’s repertoire with 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 allows White to transpose into a Q.I.D. where Black is committed to ...Bb7 rather than ...Ba6. That’s fine if you prefer ...Bb7, but annoying if you don’t.

Yes, you're absolutely right about this. In the intro, the author recommends that ...Ba6 players learn something about the ...Bb7 lines in order to use his recommendations, writing that 'trying to cater for all possible repertoire choices within the Queen’s Indian would be a step too far.'

Just to correct a piece of incorrect information that has been repeated several times in this thread, this book covers 1.Nf3 Nf6 and 2...b6, not 1.Nf3 Nf6 and 2...e6.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #9 - 09/17/20 at 12:02:47
Post Tools
As I recall, Mikhalevski’s repertoire with 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 allows White to transpose into a QID where Black is committed to ...Bb7 rather than ...Ba6. That’s fine if you prefer ...Bb7, but annoying if you don’t.

IP Logged

BadDays
YaBB Newbies

aspiring patzer

Reply #8 - 09/17/20 at 00:06:44
Post Tools
What is your normal repertoire against 1.d4? Which book offers the best coverage depends very much on that since there are so many transpositional possibilities between 1.d4, 1.c4, and 1.Nf3.

Mikhaelvski's GM Repertoire book covers the most ground, offering analysis on 1.Nf3 d5, 1...Nf6 2.c4 g6, and 1...Nf6 2.c4 e6, as well as 1.c4 e5 if I remember correctly. I think that Mikhaelvski analyzes 1.c4 e5 2.g3 c6, which I like, but I'm not a big fan of his choice of 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Bb4. Mikhaelvski also covers a bunch of offbeat openings, including 1.b3 and 1.f4.

Demko and Semkov's book covers the reversed Rossolimo vs. 1.c4, which I personally like the most. The authors only cover 1.Nf3 d5, which will obviously only work for you if 2.d4 Nf6 3.c4 is in your normal repertoire against 1.d4.

Avrukh's Modern Chess repertoire is based on the (formerly?) trendy 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.g3 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.Bg2 Bc5!?. It's a decent source if you like that line, but the analysis is outdated in some places at this point. I don't remember much about the rest of the repertoire.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo