Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Regarding books on Great Games (Read 3569 times)
doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Regarding books on Great Games
Reply #13 - 12/25/20 at 06:22:24
Post Tools
Masters of the Chessboard by Reti is fun.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #12 - 12/25/20 at 02:06:32
Post Tools
Definitely agree with recommending Neil McDonald as an author, even though I've never read any of his books of this type.

I have a couple of his opening books, and I like the way he explains the ideas, not just the moves and variations. And he doesn't just stop with the openings - he shows the entire games, so readers can get a feel for the types of middle games and endgames that tend to come from those openings. Definitely the appropriate level of opening study for a patzer like me, though probably not in depth enough for the regulars here.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #11 - 12/25/20 at 01:34:27
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 12/24/20 at 23:28:50:
There is also a full three-volume edition called Complete Chess Strategy 1-3. But they were published in the 70s, so may not be easy to get hold of now. I picked them up used a few years ago.

Speak of the devil. I just saw on uscfsales.com these have been reissued.  Smiley by Ishi Press.  Huh

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #10 - 12/24/20 at 23:28:50
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/24/20 at 22:51:04:
Jupp53 wrote on 12/24/20 at 21:30:30:
Ludek Pachman wrote a three book series about strategy. I don't know the english title.

I used to have this one-volume condensation, which I came across in a chain bookstore.
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Chess-Strategy-Ludek-Pachman/dp/0486202909

There is also a full three-volume edition called Complete Chess Strategy 1-3. But they were published in the 70s, so may not be easy to get hold of now. I picked them up used a few years ago.

dfan wrote on 12/24/20 at 16:29:10:
  • Neil McDonald: Chess: The Art of Logical Thinking, Chess Success: Planning After the Opening
  • Steve Giddins: 50 Essential Chess Lessons, 50 Ways to Win at Chess

Good recommendations. Neil McDonald really is underrated as a modern instructional writer. Maybe that's because he's written so many books and is better known for his opening work, but he really has a knack for clear writing on strategy at the right level for the intended audience (usually improvers and/or club players).

I admit I have only dipped into these books and borrowed some examples here and there for lessons. but based on what I've seen I have no qualms about recommending other similar books by McDonald:

The Art of Planning in Chess
Break The Rules!
Your Chess Battle Plan

Hermann Grooten - Schachstrategie für Vereinsspieler is no games collection. It is published in english too and has many complete games.

This must be the one that's called Chess Strategy for Club Players in English.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #9 - 12/24/20 at 22:51:04
Post Tools
Ludek Pachman wrote a three book series about strategy. I don't know the english title.

I used to have this one-volume condensation, which I came across in a chain bookstore.
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Chess-Strategy-Ludek-Pachman/dp/0486202909

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #8 - 12/24/20 at 21:30:30
Post Tools
Ludek Pachman wrote a three book series about strategy. I don't know the english title. These are great games and they bring you on top to the wisdom of the 50th. This may sound first like a bad joke. It isn't. Going on from that there are Kasparov's books about the development in the 70th and later the controversy between Watson and Aagaard about rules and exceptions.

Hermann Grooten - Schachstrategie für Vereinsspieler is no games collection. It is published in english too and has many complete games. So maybe a look into it to decide what you want to study is worth the time spent.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #7 - 12/24/20 at 16:29:10
Post Tools
Besides Chernev, here are a few more game collections that I recommend highly for improving players; they all have fairly light but instructive annotations and clear themes. And make sure you stay away from Nunn's Logical Chess, Move by Move, which pretends to be the same sort of thing, but is way more advanced.
  • Neil McDonald: Chess: The Art of Logical Thinking, Chess Success: Planning After the Opening
  • Steve Giddins: 50 Essential Chess Lessons, 50 Ways to Win at Chess

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/24/20 at 05:41:44
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 12/24/20 at 04:10:04:
I’ll agree on the Capa Endings book. Mesmerizing just how smooth he made some of these look. So enjoyable and so instructive.

Generally, I think Chernev was a good writer for this kinda thing too. Explaining high level stuff accessibly. How did we get from Chernev and Reinfeld to the blathering muppetry of Lakdawala?

This may be my favorite review ever.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #5 - 12/24/20 at 04:10:04
Post Tools
I’ll agree on the Capa Endings book. Mesmerizing just how smooth he made some of these look. So enjoyable and so instructive.

Generally, I think Chernev was a good writer for this kinda thing too. Explaining high level stuff accessibly. How did we get from Chernev and Reinfeld to the blathering muppetry of Lakdawala?

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #4 - 12/23/20 at 18:50:23
Post Tools
While focused on an individual player, "Capablanca's Best Chess Endings" by Chernev is a book of complete games, but focusing specifically on those with the best endgames.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

iggistiv
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 12/22/20 at 14:58:42
Post Tools
Yup, Chess Secrets Great Attackers Learn from Kasparov Tal & Stein by Crouch fits your description just right.  Specifically, it's about a young Kasparov, and older Tal and Stein 9he died tragically young).  Another one by Crouch is How to Defend in Chess, which looks at two approaches to defence.  The main actors are Petrosian with his careful prophylaxis and Lasker with active counter-play/attack/tactics.  The endgame book in the same vein would be Learn from the Legends by Marin.  It goes from Rubenstein's rook endings to Karpov's opposite colored bishops with almost all the world champions representing an ending that they excelled at.  The new edition even has a chapter on Carlsen.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #2 - 11/24/20 at 14:15:22
Post Tools
Thank you! It looks good.

Appreciated,

Andrew

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 11/23/20 at 22:23:32
Post Tools
The Everyman “Chess Secrets” series is organized by theme and sounds exactly like what you are looking for.  There is one on attackers that features Kasparov, Tal and Stein. 

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Regarding books on Great Games
11/23/20 at 00:06:20
Post Tools
Greetings & Happy Thanksgiving (early),

Recently, I was able to pick up two books that might be over my head in some ways but were too good a deal to pass up. They were: "Test of Time," and "Sorcerer's Apprentice." $800+ on Amazon but both were had at <$30 each & shipped via E-Bay and in excellent used shape. (Interestingly, both from chess clubs divesting themselves of their libraries it seems Sad). Anyway, it seems a lot of "great games" books by famous player "X" are kind of a historical list of the ones they liked best or were best remembered for. I wanted to ask the forum this:

Are there books on great games that deal with themes instead of a individual? Tactics is my main study right now so I could give a wished-for example; "Greatest Tacticians of Chess: See how Fischer, Tal, Bronstein and Others Found Their Greatest Motifs."

Well, you get the idea. A book(s) that focuses on the different solutions found by past masters to focused topics like tactics, endgame play, etc. One that examines the style of different players when faced with a common problem in OTB play. I admit I am looking towards a future in which I'll be able to properly appreciate and study them, but still,...

TIA,
Andrew

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo