Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Kotronias - How to play equal positions (Read 4194 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Kotronias - How to play equal positions
Reply #7 - 12/31/20 at 10:59:34
Post Tools
doefmat wrote on 12/30/20 at 07:23:44:
Semko wrote on 12/25/20 at 20:16:02:
doefmat wrote on 12/24/20 at 14:54:25:
I'm worried about....
Dear doefmat, Let me remind you that all my letters finish with: "The content of this e-mail is strictly confidential between Semko Semkov (Chess Stars) and the intended recipient.......the Caro-Kann is underway, it only will be combined with other stuff. I'll keep it secret for now....

Sorry about that, won't happen again. I'm a big fan of the Squeezing series for 1.e4. Looking forward to the Caro-Kann one. I think it will be exchange Caro or Two Knights?

I was a big fan of the series and the concept as well, sorry to see it was so short lived. Squeezing the Sicilian was excellent and so too was Squeezing 1.e4 e5, I haven't got Squeezing the KID yet but I imagine it keeps up the standard.

Very much looking forward to future titles from Chess Stars.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/30/20 at 07:23:44
Post Tools
Semko wrote on 12/25/20 at 20:16:02:
I'm worried about....
Dear doefmat, Let me remind you that all my letters finish with: "The content of this e-mail is strictly confidential between Semko Semkov (Chess Stars) and the intended recipient.......the Caro-Kann is underway, it only will be combined with other stuff. I'll keep it secret for now....

Sorry about that, won't happen again. I'm a big fan of the Squeezing series for 1.e4. Looking forward to the Caro-Kann one. I think it will be exchange Caro or Two Knights?

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

Semko

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #5 - 12/25/20 at 20:16:02
Post Tools
I'm worried about the future of Chess Stars. Squeezing 1.e4 c6 got cancelled/postponed. They don't have anything on the future plans list. I emailed them about this and they said because of Covid the book sales are very bad. While other companies/authors say book sales have gone through the roof because of Covid.
?
Dear doefmat, Let me remind you that all my letters finish with: "The content of this e-mail is strictly confidential between Semko Semkov (Chess Stars) and the intended recipient. Any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited." Anyway, I'd like to announce that the rumours of our death have been greatly exaggerated, as Mark Twain once said. Accordingly, the Caro-Kann is underway, it only will be combined with other stuff. I'll keep it secret for now.
As for the sales, all paper sales have been seriously damaged by the pandemic as far as I'm informed. That's natural since there are no tournaments with their bookstands. One of the biggest publishers even delayed
some ready-to-print books with months, for apparent reasons. Because of the same reasons movie premieres were postponed for next year. Merry Christmas!

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 12/24/20 at 15:59:29
Post Tools
Maybe Chess Stars' geographic market is different from the others? And for some reason more sharply affected by the pandemic? I hope they can weather the storm.

Their quality is good, I have been very happy with my purchases from them, and I am interested in *all* their titles currently in print. However ... too many chess books. Probably I will get this Kotronias book, but realistically I don't have enough time in the rest of my life to get through all the chess books I have already. It's a real problem. I just purchased The Exhilarating Elephant Gambit -- no idea if/when I will finish it. And since then I picked up the five "Theme" books by Furst. Madness.
Edited:
...the five "Artistry" books...

The first one is Theme Artistry and I got mixed up.
« Last Edit: 12/25/20 at 03:14:53 by an ordinary chessplayer »  

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/24/20 at 14:54:25
Post Tools
I'm worried about the future of Chess Stars. Squeezing 1.e4 c6 got cancelled/postponed. They don't have anything on the future plans list. I emailed them about this and they said because of Covid the book sales are very bad. While other companies/authors say book sales have gone through the roof because of Covid.
Is Chess Stars the less popular publisher?

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/18/20 at 17:51:43
Post Tools
Wow, what a great subject. I think the only book I know of that discussed this was Hawkins Amateur to IM right? Anyone else know another book?

Also, the struggle is definitely real  Grin

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #1 - 12/18/20 at 14:55:33
Post Tools
Looks really good from the excerpt, and a topic not often considered in any depth.

I too have sworn off new chess books...the struggle is real.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Kotronias - How to play equal positions
12/18/20 at 10:09:37
Post Tools
Freshly released on Forward Chess,
https://forwardchess.com/product/how-to-play-equal-positions

Kotronias' newest is about a topic rarely covered in chess literature - how to play "planless" positions.
Symmetrical structure, no clear pawnbreaks, what to do? I've always wondered & never felt comfortable, perhaps I find here (some of) the answer/s?

Sample chapters (preface / start of the analysis of Carlsen-Kramnik 2019) look highly promising IMO. Has anyone gotten this book yet, and can give a quick outlook on whether it's as good as it seems?

I had sort of promised myself not to get any more books  Grin But this truly does seem like a "gap" in my current library (as well as my playing strength), so I'm highly curious; but Kotronias as an author I find a bit hit-or-miss, so I am not entirely sold yet.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo