Latest Updates:
Normal Topic King Hunting with Larry C (Read 386 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: King Hunting with Larry C
Reply #1 - 12/22/20 at 14:53:40
Post Tools
Vukovic Art of Attack in Chess (originally 1965 but still in print) covers this in chapter 2, "The attack on the king that has lost the right to castle". But I think it's important to go over lots of examples. A good way to do it is by Kotov's suggested method:
  • Set up the critical position on a chessboard;
  • close the book;
  • start the clock;
  • think!
  • stop the clock;
  • write down all the variations you thought of;
  • compare your thinking with what should have happened.
Now we have computers, so the "what should have happened" step has become much easier. As for where to find examples, Morphy vs Bunny frequently ended in a king hunt, and Morphy was pretty ruthless with the checkmate. W. H. Cozens The King Hunt in Chess is on topic. And you could use the positional search feature of a database to find, e.g., king in the middle with more than a certain amount of wood on the board.

IP Logged

iggystiv
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

King Hunting with Larry C
12/22/20 at 07:29:57
Post Tools
After breaking through with a nice attack, sometimes the opposing king wriggles out to greener pastures.  I've always found that chasing down an exiled king to be an annoying experience. All those checks and moves to calculate.  Can't they just resign?  My attack was freaking brilliant.  In Larry Christiansen's book Storming the Barricades there's a chapter on "King-Hunting" which addresses this topic. 

"Attacking with LarryC" was an ICC video series where Christiansen would show his favorite attacking game of the week; remember ICC? 

"...I have seen dozens of cases where thoughtless checks and random play lead an attack to a dead end... Always be careful about sudden checks against your own king, in the event you play a 'quiet move'...a ventilated and abandoned kingside can become a quick and convenient source of counterattack due to the open files.":pg 68

All this good stuff made me ask if there were any other king hunting type of examples in chess lit or if this is a neglected topic.  There's lots of stuff on Checkmating Patterns and even some youtube videos where strong GM's (Svidler and Giri are the ones I've seen) are taking the Checkmating Pattern test from the new Chessable course.  Btw, how's everybody liking the Chessable?

I could make the argument that King Hunting, although dependent on checkmating patterns, happens more frequently that Checkmating in practical play and therefore should be worked on. 

Any thoughts on what sources are out there or how I can work on tracking down that slippery opposing king would be very cool.

Thanks,
Bob in Portland

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo