Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Variation on Milner-Barry Gambit (Read 492 times)
Fromper

GrandPatzer

Re: Variation on Milner-Barry Gambit
Reply #2 - 01/24/21 at 23:44:08
Post Tools
Yeah, the more I look at this, the less worried I am as black. As I said, I always play Bd7, and wait to see if my queen is better placed on b6 or c7 depending on what white does. Against this, I'd probably play a6 like in the Milner-Barry mainline, not be in any rush to play Qb6, and not play dxc3.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Variation on Milner-Barry Gambit
Reply #1 - 01/24/21 at 10:12:57
Post Tools
I'm not sure if you'll get your last wish here - this appears to be Leela's preferred treatment of the position for white, if only by a tiny fraction.
(Leela & co are the usual culprits for this sort of thing!)

Especially when combined with relative lack of concrete theory, this very likely is objectively slightly more dangerous.

It also looks very 'non forcing' - turning on Leela for a second or two, white basically seems to be saying that going dxc3 is a genuine concession by black, so just leaves the d4 pawn alone for moves on end while both sides just develop.

Could go in a lot of directions! You'll have to play chess Smiley

Watson covered this all on in some detail on the main site here in his November 2020 update.

The whole approach doesn't seem remotely as effective if black takes on d4 before going Qb6, although that does obviously restrict your lines elsewhere.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Variation on Milner-Barry Gambit
01/23/21 at 23:14:37
Post Tools
GM Jesse Kraai put a video on YouTube recommending a new twist on an old gambit last year:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xu3ft3v_4

The idea is like the Milner-Barry Gambit, except that white doesn't play cxd4 after black captures on d4.

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Nc6 5. Nf3 Qb6 6. Bd3 cxd4 7. O-O

Apparently, a couple of other GMs have noticed this, and Magnus even played it in a blitz game. I'd actually try this out myself as white, as it looks entertaining.

But right now, my question is how to handle it as black, since I play the French. I usually play Bd7 and don't rush to play Qb6, so I wouldn't walk right into this, but I'm not sure how to make sure I'm safer than in the main line of this gambit.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo