Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Nabokov - Lushin's Defense (Read 193 times)
Jupp53
God Member

be

Re: Nabokov - Lushin's Defense
Reply #2 - 02/16/21 at 12:38:59
Post Tools
Thanks aoc. (Allow me to use the abbreviation, not meant disrespectfully.)

Your point hit my suspicion against myself. In my work the description of behaviour bundles, called personality traits, character, diagnosis, was only the starting point. The work began with how this developed or how someone can change it.

Then I never liked love stories und scenery descriptions. Goethe - Wahlverwandtschaften, Brontë - Wuthering Heights, b.e. were pure torture for me. I could not finish reading those in days, when I read lexika from cover to top. What is this description of higher class sorrows good for, that was always my feeling. Today we have the good description first world problems for this.

So I get your view as a good other way to see this kind of books. To underline it: Thanks.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Nabokov - Lushin's Defense
Reply #1 - 02/15/21 at 21:38:15
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 02/15/21 at 13:33:16:
I have read the book twice and Imo Lushin is a ready character from the beginning, without any development. Lushin is only reacting to some circumstances. I can't get that some reviews call it psychological interesting. Maybe someone can help me understand this.

I haven't read it. Some 40 years ago I used to read quite a bit of Dostoyevsky, in English translations of course, and your summary is spot on for him as well. The character is caught in a pathological web of their own making and there is *zero* interest in how the character developed the psychology in the first place. In science fiction there is a notion "suspension of disbelief" which is important for maintaining interest in the story line. And I think the glossing over of formative influences helps in a similar "suspension of questioning of motives" in psychological tales. It may be that you know too much about psychology and are unable to suspend the questioning. A healthy person may not become psychologically self-tortured to  the same degree. But it is still relatable. We are all prone to perpetuating situations due to a "foolish consistency". So that's why I found the novels psychologically interesting.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Nabokov - Lushin's Defense
02/15/21 at 13:33:16
Post Tools
This is a question to someone liking the novel. What is interesting about it, except that there is chess as content?

I have read the book twice and Imo Lushin is a ready character from the beginning, without any development.Lushin is only reacting to some circumstances. I can't get that some reviews call it psychological interesting. Maybe someone can help me understand this.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo