Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Aronian Changing federation from ARM to USA (Read 2553 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Aronian Changing federation from ARM to USA
Reply #7 - 03/28/21 at 05:30:26
Post Tools
Nickajack wrote on 03/28/21 at 00:18:50:
In the old days it was mostly defectors or emigrants from the Eastern block who changed federations, or those fleeing war and persecution before that. Now it's more of a strictly financial reason for these players.

Yes, war and persecution are excellent reasons for emigrating. But people also move for financial reasons, chessplayers included. In the old days also chessplayers moved for financial reasons, it was very common. One doesn't have to think hard to come up with examples, e.g. Stamma, Philidor, Steinitz, Lasker, the other Lasker, etc., etc. Before the Eastern bloc even existed one could find Russian masters living and working and playing chess throughout Europe. Granted sometimes it was also because of upheaval; if there is upheaval everywhere and repeatedly then it can be difficult to assert that any movement is for financial reasons. Maybe it's just more obvious now because global politics is much more stable than 100 years ago. (Not completely stable, just more stable.)

IP Logged

Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #6 - 03/28/21 at 00:18:50
Post Tools
In the old days it was mostly defectors or emigrants from the Eastern block who changed federations, or those fleeing war and persecution before that. Now it's more of a strictly financial reason for these players.

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #5 - 03/11/21 at 11:04:32
Post Tools
Leonard Barden puts a different spin on things in his recent column:
'Aronian’s decision comes after the former president and chess fan, Serzh Sargsyan, was ousted in 2018, and the new regime cut support.'

But I agree there's not much to be gained by trying to infer an individual's motivations. What does continue to vex me is how remarkably fluid national allegiances are in chess compared to practically any other sport, where players can cheerfully switch between federations as if changing football clubs, which severely undermines the whole notion of a national team.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #4 - 03/07/21 at 23:39:41
Post Tools
Oh yeah, and I forgot to say: while it does qualify as news, it doesn't qualify as any of our business.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 03/06/21 at 18:19:31
Post Tools
I commented on chessbase.com, but there's not that many different ways to say it's fine, nothing wrong with it. People change, circumstances change, the world changes. Consistency for its own sake is not worth a penny.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #2 - 03/06/21 at 16:17:20
Post Tools
Such agony for Aronian...who can can live in a house full of memories after his new wife was killed? Not everyone. Maybe Armenia is such a house for him; maybe Sinquefield is making this move more palatable for him, which requires him to change federations.

He's not renouncing his citizenship, just becoming an expat. I'm sure he  would serve bravely in the Armenian military if asked. What grounds are there to insinuate otherwise?
« Last Edit: 03/06/21 at 18:48:19 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #1 - 03/05/21 at 20:58:36
Post Tools
Still pretty funny to me, how a few months ago he was roaring on twitter that if his country needs him to, he will grab a weapon, join the army, and gun down some Azeris, because national pride and honor and whatever, everything for the motherland!!

.. Now he doesn't even want to play chess for them anymore.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Aronian Changing federation from ARM to USA
03/04/21 at 23:13:19
Post Tools
I am kinda surprised there is no thread on this one already as the news is several days old already. Levon made the official announcement on his facebook page and Saint Louis Chess Club.

https://saintlouischessclub.org/blog/super-grandmaster-levon-aronian-move-saint-...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo