Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chessable - Grandmaster Gambits 1.e4 (2021) (Read 4073 times)
Seeley

Re: Chessable - Grandmaster Gambits 1.e4 (2021)
Reply #6 - 03/08/21 at 14:22:40
Post Tools
@MNb - You seem to be making the assumption that prospective buyers expect objectivity or theoretical soundness in the lines being proposed. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

MNb wrote on 03/08/21 at 11:36:13:
Seeley wrote on 03/08/21 at 09:59:53:
..... very fast time limits on the internet, where wheeling out sharp and even unsound openings might be quite an attractive idea

I totally agree. Had they mentioned this the advertisement would have been fine with me. They haven't.

You're right that Chessable haven't mentioned that, but nor have they claimed the lines presented are sound. All they've said is that the lines are 'approved by grandmasters and even world champions'. A stronger player won't expect the lines to be sound, because he or she will know they're unlikely to be, while weaker players frankly won't care, as it's not theoretical soundness they're interested in but exciting and aggressive lines offering the chance of attacks and quick wins.

We live in a world where products are advertised to us all the time, and as consumers it's up to us to understand the rules of the game. We know that people sell us beer by telling us how great it tastes, not by warning us we might wake up with a bit of a headache the morning after drinking it. Why should the the marketing of chess products be any different?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 03/08/21 at 11:36:13
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/08/21 at 09:41:20:
The really important question is: How objective is the analysis?

As I won't spend any money to find out (my budget is very limited) I rely on extrapolateion.
1. There is a strong correlation between marketing like I quoted and authors being onesided and/or biased.
2. Both GM Williams and IM Palliser haven't been always objective in their analysis.

Seeley wrote on 03/08/21 at 09:59:53:
..... very fast time limits on the internet, where wheeling out sharp and even unsound openings might be quite an attractive idea

I totally agree. Had they mentioned this the advertisement would have been fine with me. They haven't.

an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/08/21 at 09:41:20:
Gambits have been popular since Greco's time, don't blame Williams and Palliser for that trend.

I don't; this idea is nothing but a product of your imagination. I myself have played many gambits since 1980 or so. Indeed I both tried the Sicilian Wing Gambit and the 5.d4 gambit in Italian as well; I even own a 1973 booklet by George Koltanowski on the latter. But I've always stuck to the principle: an opening is as good as the best lines for your opponent.
For reasons laid out above I doubt if GM Williams and IM Palliser do in this course. TopNotch confirms this in his second comment.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #4 - 03/08/21 at 09:59:53
Post Tools
I think it's a case of Chessable trying to gauge what is probably an unusual market for chess products at the moment. Most people who are playing the game currently are doing so at very fast time limits on the internet, where wheeling out sharp and even unsound openings might be quite an attractive idea if it offers chances for quick wins against opponents who haven't got time to defend accurately. Also, The Queen's Gambit miniseries brought a lot of new players to the game, people who don't have the interest or the patience to learn, say, 15 moves of Catalan theory giving them a small positional advantage at the end. To them, too, an aggressive, trap-filled way of playing could be very appealing.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 03/08/21 at 09:41:20
Post Tools
Gambits have been popular since Greco's time, don't blame Williams and Palliser for that trend. About the marketing, isn't it expected? The target audience is looking for pizzazz, this is just giving it to them.

The really important question is: How objective is the analysis?

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #2 - 03/08/21 at 08:27:09
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 03/08/21 at 07:08:28:
The advertisement at Chessable resembles BDG fanaatism too much to my taste.

"Drop bombs on f7 with the Hillbilly Attack versus the Caro-Kann. Opponents will shake their heads at this "primitive" barrage...until their king gets burnt to a crisp in a dozen moves."
The first moves are 1.e4 c6 2.Bc4. White scores 28% in about 750 games according to my databse. So call me sceptical.

Marketing like that annoys me and I was surprised that Palliser was co-authoring and endorsing such Opening systems. Simon Williams claims that only against the 'Hillbilly' does White risk being slightly worse and black has to 'play perfectly' to achieve this.  In fact this claim of having to play 'perfectly to equalise' is one that he makes repeatedly throughout the course, when the truth is Black has many ways to equalise against the systems he is proposing, many of which have been known since Euwe's time.   

Feels like taking advantage of the naivety of many amateur players. Oh well as P. T. Barnum famously said "
There's a sucker born every minute".

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 03/08/21 at 07:08:28
Post Tools
The advertisement at Chessable resembles BDG fanaatism too much to my taste.

"Drop bombs on f7 with the Hillbilly Attack versus the Caro-Kann. Opponents will shake their heads at this "primitive" barrage...until their king gets burnt to a crisp in a dozen moves."
The first moves are 1.e4 c6 2.Bc4. White scores 28% in about 750 games according to my databse. So call me sceptical.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Chessable - Grandmaster Gambits 1.e4 (2021)
03/08/21 at 03:43:39
Post Tools
Anyone has any thoughts on this new Chessable Course, 'Grandmaster Gambits 1.e4' by Simon Williams & Richard Palliser?

The comments on Chessable are all over the place, ranging from love it to hate it and everything in between.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo