Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 9th March - Bobby Fischer's birthday (Read 621 times)
LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: 9th March - Bobby Fischer's birthday
Reply #4 - 03/10/21 at 12:37:26
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/10/21 at 01:42:14:
Something I wonder if he was aware of when he lived in Japan (in Kamata ward, Tokyo). His birthday, 9th March, is 'Thank you Day'.

Why?

Because 3 is 'san' and 9 is 'kyuu'.
So 3-9 is 'san-kyuu', and due to the particular syllabic nature of Japanese, 'th' and 's' are not readily distiguishable, so this is 'Thank you', near enough.

Thank you for your games.

Smiley  Sugoi!

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #3 - 03/10/21 at 01:42:14
Post Tools
Something I wonder if he was aware of when he lived in Japan (in Kamata ward, Tokyo). His birthday, 9th March, is 'Thank you Day'.

Why?

Because 3 is 'san' and 9 is 'kyuu'.
So 3-9 is 'san-kyuu', and due to the particular syllabic nature of Japanese, 'th' and 's' are not readily distiguishable, so this is 'Thank you', near enough.

Thank you for your games.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #2 - 03/09/21 at 17:54:17
Post Tools
FYI - Within the last few weeks, the Johnny Carson Youtube channel uploaded the full Fischer interview from late 1972.  It is around 20 minutes and worth seeking out.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/09/21 at 11:44:37
Post Tools
A great player, that is the least you can say about his chess. Like a few folks here, he is one of the reasons I love chess.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

9th March - Bobby Fischer's birthday
03/09/21 at 10:14:04
Post Tools
I'm celebrating today. I'll watch Pawn Sacrifice soon and I have just finished Bobby Fischer and His World by John Donaldson which I can certainly recommend. In this book I found a touching obituary by Dick Cavett among many other treasures. He eloquently and poignantly answered a friend who questioned why he was sad at his death as he was "a raving lunatic and anti-Semite". He explains how difficult fame must be especially for anyone under 30. The pressure of being a genius and the best there has ever been and asks if anyone is really capable of coping with this double burden.
I'll play through some games from My 60 Memorable Games and watch a lecture I've found, again by Donaldson on the area that Fischer grew up in and how that fed his talent. Just a fan, sad for his illness but forever glad for the games.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo