Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How strong are Black's Chances? (Read 927 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: How strong are Black's Chances?
Reply #4 - 04/12/21 at 23:23:10
Post Tools
VGA wrote on 04/12/21 at 20:20:55:
https://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1369646843/0

Some strong lines for Black in that thread.

Wow! thanks for quoting that thread, I had completely forgotten about it and there is indeed some good stuff there.

Here is what you need to know about the Tromp in a nutshell:

1. The Tromp is very dangerous for Black if he gets too frisky.

2. If Black meets the Tromp with either 2...d5 or 2...Ne4 3.Bf4 d5 then there is very little to fear theoretically. Trendy at the moment is a weird line dubbed 'The Raptor' a cool sounding name that conjures up images of a dangerous predator, but like   GM Sam Shankland I too tend not to take Openings coined after animals [or reptiles] very seriously. The Raptor goes 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 Ne4 3. h4!! or some enraptured [Pun Intended] players insist with 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 d5 3. e3 Ne4 4. h4!! [Exclams for cajones]  Everytime I see and study such games in my database I think to myself  why not me, why can't I find opponents who engage in this kind of thing. For the record Avrukh's published 2012 antidote against 'The Raptor' remains as reliable today as it was way back then.

3. All lines for Black other than what I outlined above allows White the potential to have too much fun and too much initiative. A bit of advice, don't let the engines give you a false sense of security in irrational positions, aim instead for rational positions that are easier to play and more importantly understand. To illustrate these points, take the following position: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.d4 exd4 5.Nd5 Nb4 6.Nxd4 Nxe4 7.Nb5 Nxd5 8.Qxd5 Qe7 [Many sources stop here and claim black is much better] 9.Nxc7+ Kd8 10.Bf4 d6 11.0-0-0 Kxc7 [At this point the engines love Black's position, and perhaps in a higher sense this maybe ultimately justified, but in over the board play there is no way I'm heading for this mess if I have a safer option that offers decent chances. For me King safety trumps all, even Stockfish Wink

Hopefully Mr. Palliser himself will soon weigh in on this topic either here or in a future update. We can dream after all, can't we. Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/12/21 at 20:20:55
Post Tools
https://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1369646843/0

Some strong lines for Black in that thread.

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #2 - 03/27/21 at 02:53:35
Post Tools
A reasonable point. It may be better to win more on what you do know than occasionally lose to what you don't.  Wink

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/26/21 at 20:29:26
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 03/26/21 at 16:45:09:
I notice the board here has been pretty quiet of late and wondering why?

I am aware of at least two Black-side Trompovsky books (I think): "Beating the Anti-Indians" and "Dealing with d4 Deviations." I am interested in one day having some form of Indian Defense as a part of a future Black repertoire but the Nimzo, 3634213D302D3C265501, and KID (though they are each very different) have what looks to this novice as a shared and possibly critical weakness: The Trompovsky. So I figure (hope Undecided) there must be valid answers for Black and so learning to meet these kinds of attacks should go along with studying the above-mentioned Black Defenses. Googling around, it is not hard to find players complaining that, when they try to assay the KID say, they spend much more time on dealing with 2.Bg5 instead. So, why the seeming dearth of books on this? Do these books I cited still have merit? And how do YOU rate Black's chances against the Trompovsky? Have a great weekend!

TIA,

Cathexis

Beating the Anti- king-Indians I think was the old Joe Gallagher book. There was Fighting the Anti-Kings Indians by Dembo about 14 years ago. Avrukh had a book for Quality Chess, there will be others that don't spring to my mind.

There will be some anti-indian repertoires covered within books on particular openings - for example I think Bologan's book on the King's indian also had some lines on the anti-indians.

Other learning tools such as DvDs, streaming services and Chessable for example all provide competition to the book market.

I wonder if there is a lot of demand for books giving an anti indian repertoire as there has been a relative shortage of anti - anti sicilian books too given how frequently they are played. I think a reason for this is that players are often too lazy to actually learn these lines even though they know they will face them at some point - studying the lines of the opening you want to play is more fun (or all you have time for!) - so the sales aren't great.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

How strong are Black's Chances?
03/26/21 at 16:45:09
Post Tools
I notice the board here has been pretty quiet of late and wondering why?

I am aware of at least two Black-side Trompovsky books (I think): "Beating the Anti-Indians" and "Dealing with d4 Deviations." I am interested in one day having some form of Indian Defense as a part of a future Black repertoire but the Nimzo, QID, and KID (though they are each very different) have what looks to this novice as a shared and possibly critical weakness: The Trompovsky. So I figure (hope Undecided) there must be valid answers for Black and so learning to meet these kinds of attacks should go along with studying the above-mentioned Black Defenses. Googling around, it is not hard to find players complaining that, when they try to assay the KID say, they spend much more time on dealing with 2.Bg5 instead. So, why the seeming dearth of books on this? Do these books I cited still have merit? And how do YOU rate Black's chances against the Trompovsky? Have a great weekend!

TIA,

Cathexis

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo