Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Book series (Read 917 times)
Sandman

Re: Book series
Reply #4 - 03/29/21 at 19:19:39
Post Tools
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. That’s what I was wondering.

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #3 - 03/29/21 at 07:21:45
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 03/29/21 at 00:22:53:
Everyman has lots of opening books that are somewhere in-between the Starting Out + Move by Move stuff and Chess Developments ... The Opening Repertoire series and the very short-lived Attacking Chess series (only on the King's Indian and the French) are on average on the high end of this, but again with a lot of variability.

The main variable being whether a given book is by Lakdawala. Some variation in depth is only to be expected, but it's remarkable that Everyman see fit to include his stuff in the same series as quality material by (e.g.) Sielecki, Montany, Houska and Palliser.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 03/29/21 at 00:22:53
Post Tools
What Bibs said.

I would also add that Everyman has lots of opening books that are somewhere in-between the Starting Out + Move by Move stuff and Chess Developments. These are called something normal like "Play the..." "Beating the..." or just the opening name. The Opening Repertoire series and the very short-lived Attacking Chess series (only on the King's Indian and the French) are on average on the high end of this, but again with a lot of variability. The 3rd and 4th editions of Play the French by Watson were more advanced and detailed than some of the more lightweight Opening Repertoire books, for one thing. And The Pirc in Black and White by Vigus was very comprehensive and thorough.

So you get roughly this ranking, from most basic to most advanced:

* Starting Out, Move by Move

* Play ..., Beating..., How to Beat ..., [Just the opening name]

* Opening Repertoire, Attacking Chess

* Chess Developments

The Chess Developments series ended quite a few years ago though. Maybe Everyman decided that kind of advanced, cutting-edge theory is better left to other major publishers (you know who) and to sites like ChessPublishing.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/29/21 at 00:01:45
Post Tools
This is about Everyman chess books, right?

Think of ‘starting out’ and ‘move by move’ as exactly the same level. Just a new sticker on the same idea. Both are places to start. The extent to which these are *really* pitched at the level they say they are is very variable. Some authors are better than others at explaining across levels.

‘Developments’ is about new theory and new stuff. It’s building and updating. You would need to know the older stuff first, and know it very well, and also to be an existing fairly strong level to benefit from these.

Make sense?

IP Logged

Sandman

Book series
03/28/21 at 16:13:05
Post Tools
Could someone explain the differences in the various chess “series” of books? Specifically, which is supposed to be “first” - starting out or move by move? Then throw in the chess developments or chess explained series as well as others and I’m left wondering about the difference and which rating level each is intended for so thought I’d ask.

Thanks

“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
That's how far the world is from where I am.
Just one bad day.”

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo