Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Book Recommendation for Chebanenko Slav (Read 507 times)
Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Re: Book Recommendation for Chebanenko Slav
Reply #9 - 05/01/21 at 20:31:34
Post Tools
Thanks for the great feedback folks. I have purchased Colovic's LTR Chebanenko Slav without the video. So I am going to give that a try.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 05/01/21 at 15:59:03
Post Tools
There is also the course by Demuth, who does appear to know his stuff.

I get confused between chessworld, ichess etc (same people, different shop window?), but this is one place:

https://www.ichess.net/shop/chebanenko-slav-defense-adrien-demuth/

That and the Colovic one are the most up-to-date.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #7 - 05/01/21 at 15:08:03
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/01/21 at 13:26:31:
P. S. @TD: Are you able to remember most of the theory just from watching the videos? Kudos in that case. But if not, you might want to try using the MoveTrainer.

It's not my goal to remember the theory, but to try some different openings and variations in correspondence chess. If something sticks, then that is a bonus. Anyway I will increase my experience and hopefully my overall understanding by playing something different.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #6 - 05/01/21 at 13:26:31
Post Tools
TD wrote on 05/01/21 at 06:47:32:
You can also buy the shorter version of the course, which contains 2+ hours of video. https://www.chessable.com/lifetime-repertoires-chebanenko-slav/course/37609/

I don't use the MoveTrainer of Chessable courses but like the videos and the extensive explanations very much.

To be clear, Ihat version is only shorter in the video department. Whether you buy it with full video or only free video, all the moves for training and all the text explanations are the same. And that's what matters most to me and, I suspect, to Antillian.

The free video is mostly just a roughly 5-minute preview for each chapter, and not all that useful. Though there may be a brief video introduction to the repertoire in an intro chapter (and also in the free "Short and Sweet" course when one is available).

P. S. @TD: Are you able to remember most of the theory just from watching the videos? Kudos in that case. But if not, you might want to try using the MoveTrainer.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 05/01/21 at 10:59:45
Post Tools
There is a Bologan book on the Chebanenko, I read parts of it, but nothing about it seems to be at the forefront of my memory.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #4 - 05/01/21 at 06:47:32
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 04/30/21 at 23:38:32:
What am I missing here?

You can first try the free Short & Sweet course, to see if you like it. It contains 1+ hour of video. https://www.chessable.com/short-sweet-chebanenko-slav/course/37837/

You can also buy the shorter version of the course, which contains 2+ hours of video. https://www.chessable.com/lifetime-repertoires-chebanenko-slav/course/37609/

I don't use the MoveTrainer of Chessable courses but like the videos and the extensive explanations very much.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #3 - 05/01/21 at 00:21:24
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 04/30/21 at 23:38:32:
Thanks. I am not familiar at all with Chessable. But I googled it. I am seeing $239 if you want the video explanations. But $39.99 for the moves only. I imagine the moves alone without the explanations won't make much sense. But that price is insane  Shocked

What am I missing here?

You're missing that most of the courses can very much be used without the videos, since they contain lots of text explanations too.  Smiley
In fact I don't watch much video there at all, but I still use the site a lot.

Each course overview gives the amount of words of instruction (i.e. text). I believe those instruction figures are seriously inflated since the same text bits can be repeated many times in different variations, but still they are useful for comparing the amount of text between courses.

Though for some courses it seems there really is a difference and you'd better get the videos to get the full benefit. Usually this will have been discussed by users in the forum for the course. I've seen this said about Erwin L'Ami's Caro-Kann course and especially about the "Chess Principles Reloaded" strategy courses by Andras Toth. Also, the sheer amount of video really is ballooning on some of the recent courses, especially the "Lifetime Repertoires", which probably means quite a few things are explained only in the videos. Though if you're a strong player, a lot of that could be basic stuff you already understand.

I don't have Colovic's LTR Chebanenko Slav myself, but I expect you can do fine there without the videos. Though it's best to check the course forum for any discusson of that before you buy.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Reply #2 - 04/30/21 at 23:38:32
Post Tools
semper_fidelis wrote on 04/30/21 at 19:58:25:
Colovic's recent chessable course comes first to my mind. It includes English/Reti repertoire as well.

Thanks. I am not familiar at all with Chessable. But I googled it. I am seeing $239 if you want the video explanations. But $39.99 for the moves only. I imagine the moves alone without the explanations won't make much sense. But that price is insane  Shocked

What am I missing here?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

semper_fidelis
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/30/21 at 19:58:25
Post Tools
Colovic's recent chessable course comes first to my mind. It includes English/Reti repertoire as well.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Book Recommendation for Chebanenko Slav
04/30/21 at 19:16:37
Post Tools
Hi folks,

Are there any recent or pending  good books on the Chebanenko Slav?. Flear and Bologan both are rather dated.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo