Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shankland Chessable course on the Classical Sicili (Read 6736 times)
najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Shankland Chessable course on the Classical Sicili
Reply #16 - 05/06/21 at 22:02:23
Post Tools
Seems like he only cared about covering 6 Bg5 and the rest was an inconvenience for him to cover.

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 05/06/21 at 18:40:20
Post Tools
Apparently, he also forget in the line 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ Bd7 4. Bxd7+ Nxd7
5. O-O Ngf6 6. Qe2 e6 to cover the main move 7.b3. Only 7.c3 and 7.d4 are covered.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #14 - 05/06/21 at 15:38:31
Post Tools
najdorfslayer wrote on 05/06/21 at 05:57:04:
I bought this course and while parts are good, the 6 Bg5 e6 is covered quite well. Many lines are given a pathetically minimal coverage.

Like most top players they only really want to focus on 6 Bg5 and their rest is given hardly any coverage.

I do like that he gives 6...g6 against the 6 Be2, 6 f4 and 6 g3, as this is what I played before the course came out, but frankly I was astounded how little covered was given. One line on the 6 f4 (yes one line), 2 lines on 6 g3 and while 6 Be2 is given more coverage, its still woefully poor when you compare it to the thoroughness of the LTR on the Najdorf or the Taimanov.

If you wish to play 6...g6 in these lines, I would recommend getting Gawain Jones GM rep The Dragon Volume 2.

Also the 6 Bc4 Qb6 lines seem to be scantily brushed over.

I frankly wasn’t to interested in the Anti-Sicilian coverage as I have plenty of material on that already (LTR Najforf and GM rep Beating these Anti-Sicilians).

So in summary I think if you are buying this course, then you will get decent coverage of 6 Bg5, if you want to build a Classical Sicilian repertoire look elsewhere for their other move 6 responses.

Personally I wish I’d saved my money 2/5!

That's pretty much all I was interested in anyway since as Sam says in the Intro, 6.Bg5 is the only challenging line to the Classical. BTW it was interesting watching one of his Banter Blitzes when he faced The Smith Morra Gambit and ran into some unexpected problems when his opponent deviated slightly from his recommended line. Smiley

I said it before and I'd say again, this Course is best suited for Expert level players and above preferably with prior Sicilian experience.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #13 - 05/06/21 at 15:30:03
Post Tools
najdorfslayer wrote on 05/06/21 at 05:57:04:
I do like that he gives 6...g6 against the 6 Be2, 6 f4 and 6 g3, as this is what I played before the course came out, but frankly I was astounded how little covered was given. One line on the 6 f4 (yes one line), 2 lines on 6 g3 and while 6 Be2 is given more coverage, its still woefully poor when you compare it to the thoroughness of the LTR on the Najdorf or the Taimanov.

By the way, in Banter Blitz he faced 6. Be2 g6 7. 0-0 Bg7 8. Be3 0-0 9. f4.  I was rather surprised to see him play 9...Bd7, instead of the ancient book move 9...Qb6.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #12 - 05/06/21 at 15:25:03
Post Tools
doefmat wrote on 05/04/21 at 21:39:59:
TopNotch wrote on 05/04/21 at 13:11:42:
This course seems to have been rushed out so that Sam can focus on his return to OTB chess. It's a lot less thorough than his other Chessable stuff and does not quite fit in with the Lifetime Repertoire ethos. Moreover the Beta Testers as is all too common do a sloppy job in picking up errors and omissions that should have been caught before this product hit the shelves so to speak.

Now within hours of the course release buyers have to wait on  reported missing video and missing lines to be eventually updated.  Very disappointing.

Isn't this judgement a bit premature? How can you look at this course thorough after one day of release?

Not premature at all, no way a missing video should not have been caught, I caught it, also the entire course is a little under 11 hours when the average Lifetime Repertoire is closer to 20 hrs. The Anti-Sicilian coverage is more suited to master level players as he focuses on the key lines only, no fluff. One guy in the chessable forum was complaining that he was enjoying the Course but lamented that Sam forgot to cover 2. Bc4 and would like him to add some lines, a request which made me laugh hysterically.

How can you look at this course thorough after one day of release? Very easily, just skip the irrelevant stuff and head for the critical lines. Once I satisfy myself that all the crunch material has been covered I work backwards from there. Moreover Sam pretty much laid it out on the forum that now that OTB was returning he was very anxious to get back to his first love, and the product kind of reflects this even his disheveled unshaven appearance in the videos hints at this.

To be honest for the most part the Beta Testers on Chessable are just a joke, in it for free access to course material. Every Course that comes out within hours consumers find holes omissions and errors, and that should not be, I mean what are the Beta Testers their for.   

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #11 - 05/06/21 at 13:50:07
Post Tools

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #10 - 05/06/21 at 09:05:46
Post Tools
doefmat wrote on 05/06/21 at 08:20:46:
You should post that review on Chessable  too imo.

My thoughts exactly! It can help improve the course if necessary, because the Chessable courses are always "work in progress", depending on the remarks of customers etc. I find that one of the pros of Chessable. You can make remarks and pose questions for everyone to see, including the author, so they can improve / update the course if needed.

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 05/06/21 at 08:20:46
Post Tools
You should post that review on Chessable  too imo.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 05/06/21 at 05:57:04
Post Tools
I bought this course and while parts are good, the 6 Bg5 e6 is covered quite well. Many lines are given a pathetically minimal coverage.

Like most top players they only really want to focus on 6 Bg5 and their rest is given hardly any coverage.

If you wish to play 6...g6 in these lines, I would recommend getting Gawain Jones GM rep The Dragon Volume 2.

Also the 6 Bc4 Qb6 lines seem to be scantily brushed over.

I frankly wasn’t to interested in the Anti-Sicilian coverage as I have plenty of material on that already (LTR Najforf and GM rep Beating these Anti-Sicilians).

So in summary I think if you are buying this course, then you will get decent coverage of 6 Bg5, if you want to build a Classical Sicilian repertoire look elsewhere for their other move 6 responses.

Personally I wish I’d saved my money 2/5!

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 05/04/21 at 21:39:59
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 05/04/21 at 13:11:42:
This course seems to have been rushed out so that Sam can focus on his return to OTB chess. It's a lot less thorough than his other Chessable stuff and does not quite fit in with the Lifetime Repertoire ethos. Moreover the Beta Testers as is all too common do a sloppy job in picking up errors and omissions that should have been caught before this product hit the shelves so to speak.

Now within hours of the course release buyers have to wait on  reported missing video and missing lines to be eventually updated.  Very disappointing.

Isn't this judgement a bit premature? How can you look at this course thorough after one day of release?

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #6 - 05/04/21 at 13:11:42
Post Tools

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #5 - 05/04/21 at 08:30:11
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 05/04/21 at 00:00:15:
Shankland didn't play the Kozul, instead opting for the older line 6 Bg5 e6 7 Qd2 a6 8 0-0-0 Bd7 9 f4 Be7 (which incidentally was Spassky's choice against Fischer in their 1972 match). This line has always had some supporters but started appearing again at high level around 2017, with some new ideas regarding how to organise counterplay for Black in the main line with 10 Nf3 b5 11 Bxf6 gxf6.

So it would reasonable to hazard a guess that this "Spassky line" is Shankland's choice for his Chessable repertoire.

Yes, this is the line he gives. I'm very pleased that this repertoire has been published, as I used to play the Classical years ago (on the rare occasions when an opponent would play 2.Nf3 and 3.d4...) and I'd like to go back to it.

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/04/21 at 08:27:21
Post Tools
It's one of the profoundly irritating features of Chessable that they prefer to write a bunch of meaningless Lakdawala-esque waffle in the introduction rather than a quick overview of the repertoire.

I fail to see how adding something like the following (assuming this is the repertoire):

6.f3 e5
6.Be2 e5
6.Bc4 e6 7.Be3 e6 8.Bb3 Be7
6.Bg5 e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.0-0-0 Bd7 9.f3 Nxd4
6.Bg5 e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.0-0-0 Bd7 9.f4 Be7

has impact, since this gets revealed eventually by the "Short & Sweet" version. Presumably someone smarter than me has decided this heightens interest or something.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #3 - 05/04/21 at 00:00:15
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 05/03/21 at 18:58:37:
https://www.chessable.com/lifetime-repertoires-classical-sicilian/course/68589/

I haven't gone through the sample video yet. However I did a search of Chess Assistant for Shankland, as black, and B60-B69. He's played for the Kozul, but his opponents played 9f3 instead of 9f4. His 2020 results were +3,0,-1 against topflight opponents!

In Banter Blitz e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3sDigCx7s4
Shankland didn't play the Kozul, instead opting for the older line 6 Bg5 e6 7 Qd2 a6 8 0-0-0 Bd7 9 f4 Be7 (which incidentally was Spassky's choice against Fischer in their 1972 match). This line has always had some supporters but started appearing again at high level around 2017, with some new ideas regarding how to organise counterplay for Black in the main line with 10 Nf3 b5 11 Bxf6 gxf6.

So it would reasonable to hazard a guess that this "Spassky line" is Shankland's choice for his Chessable repertoire.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/21 at 20:40:02
Post Tools
It might be of interest that Shankland has been playing the Classical (when given the opportunity) in Banter Blitz, and his next scheduled session (this Thursday) is specifically vs. 1. e4.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo