Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shankland Chessable course on the Classical Sicili (Read 21667 times)
FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Shankland Chessable course on the Classical Sicili
Reply #61 - 06/26/21 at 21:13:32
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 05/24/21 at 18:08:52:
The coverage of the Rauzer is excellent and makes use of Shankland's own games.  I've gone through most of 6.Bg5 and 6.Bc4, checked the lines with an engine and database, and feel I could play these lines at a decent level.

There are two recent books on the Kozul variation (8...b4). Yermolinksy also covered it in a video series on the ICC. I think it is acceptable for black, but it takes a commitment to master or feel comfortable with the line. Some of the lines are a little long for my tastes, but I can always change my mind.

Shankland proceeds instead with the Spassky (8...Be7) line. If Shankland demonstrates that black is hanging in there, then the book/course is probably worth the time and money from someone who wants to play the Classical. I have not bought this, nor any other, Chessable product. This could be my first purchase. I wonder if ...Be7 theory ends a little sooner than in the ...b5 lines. Perhaps more like a taxi than a train.

The motivation of the Kozul is to retain the option of playing ...Bh6. Obviously 8...Be7 takes the bishop in the opposite direction. Yet while scanning a few games I noticed one where black played Be7, later 0-0-0, Re8, Bf8 and Bh6! Granted this is a long way around. Yet it is a reminder that these two lines are part of a single family. I suspect that if one is comfortable with one, one is likely to be comfortable with the other, and if not comfortable with one, then not comfortable with either.

I think the consensus that the Classical is fine outside of the Richter-Rauzer is correct. The Sozin-Fischer-Velimirovic lines are dangerous, but not an extinction level threat. The evaluation of the Richter-Rauzer is critical to the evaluation of the Classical Sicilian.

I suppose a quick-out is provided by Dubov's 6...g6. The move is hard to believe, as are Dubov's results. In 2021 he played 7 games, winning 4 and drawing 3. 5 opponents were rated above 2700, one above 2600 and one above 2500.

As white I've faced the Dubov line in a couple of speed games. We did not know much theory and I prevailed. However the computer was not impressed, and found messy equality for black after only a few moves.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #60 - 05/27/21 at 14:55:40
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/25/21 at 22:45:11:
Regarding this 9. Be2, one recent publication (ECO-B2) basically has 9...b5 10. Nxc6 Bxc6 11. Qe3 as leading to an edge for White, and 9...h6 10. Bh4 Rc8 11. f4/9...Rc8 10. f4 h6 11. Bh4 as leading to equality. 

It doesn't mention 9...Be7, but addresses 9. f4 Be7 10. Be2, where among other things it cites the Fischer-Spassky game from '72.  As a bit of history you can see Robert Byrne's notes on p. 19 of the January 1973 Chess Life & Review.
http://uscf1-nyc1.aodhosting.com/CL-AND-CR-ALL/CL-ALL/1973/1973_01.pdf

In my old Beating the Sicilian book Nunn gave as a note that Blacks best was 9...h6 10. Bh4 Rc8, maybe that is why he later rejected the line. Still it needs attention.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #59 - 05/25/21 at 22:45:11
Post Tools
Regarding this 9. Be2, one recent publication (ECO-B2) basically has 9...b5 10. Nxc6 Bxc6 11. Qe3 as leading to an edge for White, and 9...h6 10. Bh4 Rc8 11. f4/9...Rc8 10. f4 h6 11. Bh4 as leading to equality. 

It doesn't mention 9...Be7, but addresses 9. f4 Be7 10. Be2, where among other things it cites the Fischer-Spassky game from '72.  As a bit of history you can see Robert Byrne's notes on p. 19 of the January 1973 Chess Life & Review.
http://uscf1-nyc1.aodhosting.com/CL-AND-CR-ALL/CL-ALL/1973/1973_01.pdf

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #58 - 05/25/21 at 22:06:00
Post Tools
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 d6 6.Bg5
  1. BTS : Nunn (1984) Beating the Sicilian
  2. BTS2 : Nunn (1990) Beating the Sicilian II
  3. BTS3 : Nunn/Gallagher (1995) Beating the Sicilian III

In the "most solid" line 6...e6 7.Qd2 Be7 8.O-O-O O-O, Nunn consistently recommended 9.Nb3. In the line 6...e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.O-O-O Bd7, Nunn recommended 9.Be2 at first, but changed it later. In BTS2 he didn't say why the change, but in BTS he said:

Quote:
9.f4 is the usual move, but despite its lack of popularity 9.Be2 offers quite reasonable chances for white and has the advantage of setting a couple of really good traps.

6...e6 7.Qd2 a6 8.O-O-O Bd7

In the notes to Mnatsakanian - Banas, after 9.Be2 Be7 Nunn says "White may also try 10.f4" and this may indeed be a transposition to 9.f4 Be7 10.Be2...

I have no idea what current theory thinks of all this. I just hope we can all get on the same page about what line is being discussed.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #57 - 05/25/21 at 19:43:50
Post Tools
It's a good course.  The coverage of the Rauzer is excellent and makes use of Shankland's own games.  I've gone through most of 6.Bg5 and 6.Bc4, checked the lines with an engine and database, and feel I could play these lines at a decent level.  I'd recommend it.  Given the topic and the abbreviated coverage of some sidelines, I'd guess its probably best suited for 1700 on up. 

Its worth noting, as well, that a lot of the early criticism is no longer valid.  The missing lines have been added, although tbh, they weren't that critical anyway.  The missing video was never actually missing, just misplaced by the Chessable team.  That too has been corrected.  And BTW, 9.Be2 is covered, albeit by transposition. 

I think the early criticisms are still very valid, because it is less about merely fixing the errors and omissions after the fact, and more about the frustrated consumers that had to report the issues in the first place. Beta Testers tasked with reviewing Courses for quality control need do a better job or then don't apply to do it. Moreover, what do you mean the missing video wasn't really missing? It had to be later added to the Course after I reported it missing, the details as to how it went missing or was misplaced is irrelevant to the consumer.

Simply fixing errors and omissions after the fact while commendable doesn't do much for the authors reputation nor does it inspire overall confidence in the quality of the work he produces. If you bought an appliance and you discovered it had missing screws, would you fully trust the product or brand because you were later provided with those screws. Just something to ponder.

I have to say businesses would probably consider you the dream customer. Easy to please, willing to tolerate sloppiness, not bothered much by attention to detail or lack thereof and offers damage control services free of charge. Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #56 - 05/25/21 at 18:32:15
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 05/25/21 at 16:06:02:
LeeRoth wrote on 05/25/21 at 15:02:38:
9.Be2 Be7 10.f4 = 9.f4 Be7 10.Be2  Smiley

Thats not the same position at all, the Rauzer position is 6. Bg5 e6 7. Qd2 a6 8.O-O-O Bd7 9. Be2

@Keano

Very annoying when they don't pay attention to the details isn't it. He would make a good Chessable Beta-Tester.  Roll Eyes

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #55 - 05/25/21 at 16:06:02
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 05/25/21 at 15:02:38:

Thats not the same position at all, the Rauzer position is 6. Bg5 e6 7. Qd2 a6 8.O-O-O Bd7 9. Be2

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #54 - 05/25/21 at 15:02:38
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 05/25/21 at 09:19:50:
It's a good course.  The coverage of the Rauzer is excellent and makes use of Shankland's own games.  I've gone through most of 6.Bg5 and 6.Bc4, checked the lines with an engine and database, and feel I could play these lines at a decent level.  I'd recommend it.  Given the topic and the abbreviated coverage of some sidelines, I'd guess its probably best suited for 1700 on up. 

Its worth noting, as well, that a lot of the early criticism is no longer valid.  The missing lines have been added, although tbh, they weren't that critical anyway.  The missing video was never actually missing, just misplaced by the Chessable team.  That too has been corrected.  And BTW, 9.Be2 is covered, albeit by transposition. 

What transposition will result in that main-line Rauzer position?  Huh

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #53 - 05/25/21 at 09:19:50
Post Tools

What transposition will result in that main-line Rauzer position?  Huh

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #52 - 05/24/21 at 18:08:52
Post Tools

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #51 - 05/22/21 at 16:54:42
Post Tools
NajdorfSlayer:

TopNotch wrote on 05/06/21 at 15:38:31:
So in summary I think if you are buying this course, then you will get decent coverage of 6 Bg5 ...

Topnotch:
That's pretty much all I was interested in anyway since as Sam says in the Intro, 6.Bg5 is the only challenging line to the Classical

The course may well be worth the money based the coverage of 6Bg5 alone. As I have not bought the course, I can not say for sure.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #50 - 05/22/21 at 14:27:10
Post Tools
Given the feedback, I will give this one a pass.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 05/22/21 at 12:06:01
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 05/21/21 at 14:40:16:
I hate the Move-Trainer but the material is the most up to date that there is out there. Also their best Opening Courses beat anything out there in print form hands down

As someone on this forum explained to me, one can click on the blue text and bypass the move trainer.

TopNotch wrote on 05/21/21 at 14:40:16:
Another high quality source is Modern-Chess.com, many titled players use their databases for tournament prep including GM's, at least that is what Boris Avrukh told me.

Avrukh has published 10 titles at Modern Chess.

The Modern Chess opening eBooks are up to date and often have a narrow focus. They also import well into ChessBase and Chess Opening Wizard. The Complete Rauzer Repertoire for Black (January 2019) by IM Ogulcan Kanmazalp is a must have for anyone who plays the Kozul (9...b5) variation.

I have maxed out on my free Short and Sweet Chessable eBooks. I will buy at some point. So far, I have to say that there is some good content, and it displays well on my computer screen. Is it all "in the cloud?" I am not aware of an option to download a title to my computer.

Our own beloved ChessPublishing has high quality content, displays well onscreen, and is up-to-date. The files download well to my computer. That is a major plus.

I have uploaded all past (CBV) files to ChessBase. All ECO B articles are available in one place. I can go through all Richter-Rauzer articles with 9...Be7, or 9...b5, sequentially. I did the same thing with PGN files and Chess Opening Wizard. So I can play out to any position of interest, and see the relevant ChessPublishing content. Either way, I can enter comments, or ask for engine analysis.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #48 - 05/21/21 at 14:40:16
Post Tools
hicetnunc wrote on 05/21/21 at 09:49:10:
Chessable beta testing is performed by unpaid volunteers. So they test what they want. Some do a diligent work, some just don't care. Some are strong enough to spot holes or missing explanations but most of them are amateur 1200 players who don't even know the opening they're testing.

At the end of the day, Chessable sells these courses because their platform attracts a lot of users. I'm surprised to hear from many players nowadays that their first point of reference is a chessable course rather than a good old book  Smiley

I hate the Move-Trainer but the material is the most up to date that there is out there. Also their best Opening Courses beat anything out there in print form hands down.

Another high quality source is Modern-Chess.com, many titled players use their databases for tournament prep including GM's, at least that is what Boris Avrukh told me.

IP Logged

hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Reply #47 - 05/21/21 at 09:49:10
Post Tools
Chessable beta testing is performed by unpaid volunteers. So they test what they want. Some do a diligent work, some just don't care. Some are strong enough to spot holes or missing explanations but most of them are amateur 1200 players who don't even know the opening they're testing.

At the end of the day, Chessable sells these courses because their platform attracts a lot of users. I'm surprised to hear from many players nowadays that their first point of reference is a chessable course rather than a good old book  Smiley

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo