Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) how to checkmate the black king in two moves (Read 664 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: how to checkmate the black king in two moves
Reply #18 - 06/11/21 at 20:04:16
Post Tools
Alberto wrote on 06/11/21 at 18:49:59:
I will try to learn each and every aspect of chess, I hope to improve in this way.

Alberto, you will go far.

IP Logged

Alberto
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 06/11/21 at 18:49:59
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 06/09/21 at 19:59:53:
Chess has a lot of history, including international history. So as chessplayers we are expected to learn a lot of different notations, languages, abbreviations, and conventions. It takes time, but it's quite necessary because people differ in their levels of patience with beginners. You will run into the same thing when analyzing variations, some strong players won't care to explain if you don't understand why your suggested idea doesn't work.

cathexis wrote on 06/09/21 at 22:24:16:
                        So happy Alberto is here! Somebody finally showed up who may be more of a Noob than me. No offense, Alberto. I have received a HUGE amount of help here since I joined in March, 2020. In the wake of COVID, online resources are a godsend. Jeff Coakley's, "Winning Chess Strategy for Kids" or the Susan Polgar beginner book series will put you on the right path if you want it.

Stigma wrote on 06/09/21 at 19:31:34:
I'm sure you see the connection if you think about it.

Ok guys, I see that there is a lot of literature on chess, its conventions, rules, referees, etc. It is interesting, the more is published about chess and the more the world of chess is organized, it means that more people are interested in the game.

I will try to learn each and every aspect of chess, I hope to improve in this way. Thank you all for the answers.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #16 - 06/10/21 at 07:34:05
Post Tools
Alberto wrote on 06/08/21 at 12:22:41:
Hi guys, newbie here.

I'm having a hard time trying to checkmate the black king in two moves, could you help me?

kind regards

Sorry Alberto, when you said newbie I thought you meant new to the site not new to chess. As a newbie puzzles are not the best starting point to improve your chess, especially mate in ### puzzles, which tend to be quite esoteric and artificial. BTW   do you see the mate after 1. Qa2 (Queen to A2) Nc8 (Knight to C8).  Wink

Start with the fundamentals like mastering the basic checkmates (Queen vs King; 2 Rooks vs King; Rook vs King; 2 Bishops vs King and finally Bishop & Knight vs King) and work your way up from there. As you improve they are plenty experts here to guide you.   

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #15 - 06/10/21 at 06:37:12
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/09/21 at 02:11:05:
@TopNotch:

Please use hidden text or at least a big spoiler alert for study or problem solutions!

I went straight to "Recent posts" as always and saw your answer before I even got to the diagram.  Angry

Sorry about that, it was unintentional. I will post a puzzle to make up for it. BTW a good way to approach puzzle solving is to use reciprocal thinking, the process is useful in your practical games as well.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #14 - 06/09/21 at 22:24:16
Post Tools
So happy Alberto is here! Somebody finally showed up who may be more of a Noob than me. No offense, Alberto. I have received a HUGE amount of help here since I joined in March, 2020. In the wake of COVID, online resources are a godsend. Jeff Coakley's, "Winning Chess Strategy for Kids" or the Susan Polgar beginner book series will put you on the right path if you want it.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #13 - 06/09/21 at 19:59:53
Post Tools
Alberto wrote on 06/09/21 at 15:03:26:
3 YACPDB proposal: if you move the white queen to A2, the black king moves to A8, killing the white knight in the process. (there's no solution)

Actually they do give the solution after "killing the white knight", but as a self-described newbie you wouldn't be expected to understand their short-hand. It's in their second variation:

Quote:
1.♕a2! 1...♘c6 (Sb5, K:a8) 2.c8=♕#

What it means is that after 1.Qa2 Nc6 2.c8=Q (promotion) is checkmate, AND after either of the black moves in parentheses (instead of 1...Nc6) then the same move by white is checkmate. (Also, the S in parentheses refers to the knight, Springer is German as Knight is English).

Chess has a lot of history, including international history. So as chessplayers we are expected to learn a lot of different notations, languages, abbreviations, and conventions. It takes time, but it's quite necessary because people differ in their levels of patience with beginners. You will run into the same thing when analyzing variations, some strong players won't care to explain if you don't understand why your suggested idea doesn't work.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #12 - 06/09/21 at 19:31:34
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 06/08/21 at 20:11:49:
                        Qa2, took me 5mins.

Sorry, I don't understand what Qa2 means. I'm a newbie. Could you use the letters for columns and the numbers for the rows notation please?

He was using letters for colums and numbers for rows. That's already the standard notation on this site, and in most of the chess world.

One of your suggestions was:
If you move the white queen to A2 [...]

While TopNotch wrote:
Qa2

I'm sure you see the connection if you think about it.

It's not hard when you get the hang of it. For explanations of this "algebraic notation", see:

https://handbook.fide.com/chapter/E012018 (scroll to Appendix C. Algebraic notation)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)

(And yes, after this continuing spoiler galore I have now officially given up on forgetting the solution. If I ever come across this problem again, I hope I have forgotten the position instead.)

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Alberto
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/09/21 at 15:10:40
Post Tools
3 YACPDB proposal: if you move the white queen to A2, the black king moves to A8, killing the white knight in the process. (there's no solution)

well, there's a solution: if you move the white queen to A2 and the black king moves to A8, you could move one white pawn to C8 and promote it. it was the only possible solution of all of them, and YACPDB did not contemplate it.

thank you all for your time.

IP Logged

Alberto
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 06/09/21 at 15:03:26
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 06/08/21 at 13:33:01:
Nice one, Alberto! Thanks for sharing. For composed problems you can usually find them at

If you are really stumped, yacpdb has the solution as well.

Composed problems require quite a different thinking process from the typical chess position. You may like this ChessBase

Thanks an ordinary chess player! I just looked at it. Awesome.
unfortunately, it does not give me the solution only the possible moves although they don't conclude in a checkmate. in YACPDB notation, moves that end in exclamation (!) end without checkmate.

white pieces start moving first. the columns are letters, and the rows are numbers.

1 YACPDB proposal: if you move the white queen to B8, the black king moves to C6. (there's no solution)

2 YACPDB proposal: if you move the white queen to B3, the black knight move to B5 (there's no solution)

Sorry, i'm not allowed to post links, neither quote them.

cathexis wrote on 06/09/21 at 12:47:34:
Whenever I've gotten stuck on a checkmate puzzle it is invariably because I either never even considered the answer as a candidate move or didn't properly work through the variations after the 1st move. Mostly, it is the former. Its always great to see the answer in a intuitive "flash", but methodical is ok too. Considering all possible moves one by one. This kind of getting stuck also happens a lot more often when doing puzzles online as you get this kind of tunnel vision and dopamine click, click, click response. Books are better for learning puzzle solving. AOC's article suggestion is a must read if its ideas are new to you.

Thanks, cathexis. Believe me I tried that methodical way but no way. I know there's a solution of course, but i didn't manage to find it. I will read the article.

TopNotch wrote on 06/08/21 at 20:11:49:
                        Qa2, took me 5mins.

Sorry, I don't understand what Qa2 means. I'm a newbie. Could you use the letters for columns and the numbers for the rows notation please?

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #9 - 06/09/21 at 14:51:11
Post Tools
Found another way at https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/BBCode
  • Solution: Qc2  [highlight][color=#ffff00]hidden-text[/color][/highlight]
    + it's obvious something is there
    + can be created with a couple of clicks
  • Solution: Qc2  [color=transparent]hidden-text[/color]
    + can read the text on mobile by selecting it

Edited:
Tested mobile and it doesn't show up. Transparent might have uses but for spoilers I like the yellow method better.

Bibs wrote on 06/09/21 at 07:13:27:
I have done exactly the same on FB, oops, then deleted when asked to do the above.

I am sure I have done exactly the same here on chesspub.

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #8 - 06/09/21 at 12:47:34
Post Tools
@Alberto,

Whenever I've gotten stuck on a checkmate puzzle it is invariably because I either never even considered the answer as a candidate move or didn't properly work through the variations after the 1st move. Mostly, it is the former. Its always great to see the answer in a intuitive "flash", but methodical is ok too. Considering all possible moves one by one. This kind of getting stuck also happens a lot more often when doing puzzles online as you get this kind of tunnel vision and dopamine click, click, click response. Books are better for learning puzzle solving. AOC's article suggestion is a must read if its ideas are new to you.

Hope this helps,

Cathexis

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #7 - 06/09/21 at 07:13:53
Post Tools
OK, hidden "spoiler text" seems to be a thing on other YaBB forums, but maybe not here? I found this discussion:

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_suggestion...

I have tried a few plausible tags now, but couldn't get either of these to work here:

[hide]test[/hide]

[invisible]test[/invisible]

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 06/09/21 at 07:13:27
Post Tools
Suggestion

Better might be as one sees on chess puzzle FB pages.

'Post a Smiley if you have worked out the answer. Please don't post the answer and spoil the fun!'

Then OP comes back in a week and posts the answer.

Not having a go at TN, not at all. It's instinctive to post the answer. Chessers are competitive and we want to show we have the answer!  I have done exactly the same on FB, oops, then deleted when asked to do the above.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #5 - 06/09/21 at 06:44:47
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 06/09/21 at 05:25:50:
Stigma, what did you have in mind for "hidden text"? I came up with a way combining the Highlight button and the "yellow" text color button, but maybe you know a better way....

Yes, exactly. I was thinking of something like that. Or, if someone can't be bothered to do that, at least write a big **SPOILER ALERT** and skip several lines before giving the answer in a smaller-than-normal font.

I also vaguely recall someone using a built-in spoiler alert feature to hide text on the forum, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm thinking of another forum (like the user reviews of movies on IMDB - I'm 100% certain they have this feature).

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 06/09/21 at 05:25:50
Post Tools
Stigma, what did you have in mind for "hidden text"? I came up with a way combining the Highlight button and the "yellow" text color button, but maybe you know a better way....

Solution: 1.Qa2

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo