Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I Decide To Go To War (Read 10211 times)
ChessIsWar

Re: I Decide To Go To War
Reply #43 - 07/21/21 at 09:53:58
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 07/18/21 at 23:16:55:
For right now, the club I joined in June this year meets on-line only although it has been around almost 70 years. Like many clubs, they are dependent on others for a physical location for OTB play & meetings. So those places must fully open first. They hold weekly Ladders & Quads on Chess.com. I confine myself to a free membership on Chess.com since I need something to play. No surprise, I am both a novice and unrated. I couldn't care less about the ratings these sites offer: There's only one rating that will matter to me and I look forward to earning it.

On this forum, besides help with openings, most of my help has come from the General board here. This includes several members who've given me personal help and advice that I value highly. It is hard for a newbie to understand they are asking the wrong kind of question, or assuming the wrong kind of answers, when they just don't know better. True in life, doubly so in chess. I mean myself, if no one else. Chess.com could boot me tomorrow and I promise you I have so much other material still to cover I would just soldier on until things opened back up. I would also continue to ask questions here on any chess topic, not just openings. As elsewhere in my life, I've often found it helpful to recall the old saying, "Save the drama for your mama." (Though I admit it has sometimes been a post-facto recall).

Cathexis

I appreciate you taking the time.  Cool

Without drawing too much attention to the matter or going into great detail: Things are resolved. My USCF is linked to both my ICC account and a Chess.com account. I agree with you, however - there is just endless material available to us today, especially if we spend a few dollars here and there, and losing access to only one outlet wouldn't entirely derail anyone. As of now, I don't have to worry about that again.

I'm getting much better. After my 1st round draw in T4545 play, I won the other day in round 2. I was black, got into the Richter-Rauzer in the Sicilian, and my opponent resigned on move 19 after a tactical exchange where he blundered early and things liquidated into a pretty lost endgame for him. I also ended the game with ~49 minutes and he was under 20. The fact that, for a second game in a row, I was way ahead on time is a massive improvement for me. This was another board 1 game and prior to it we were tied 1.5 - 1.5 for the match so it also gave us the match win. My team has a bye this week.

Most of my study material right now is ChessTempo, ICC, and the International Chess School I subbed to. I'm also going to be starting to do more tactics and review of games OTB as directed by the study material. And, most importantly: No drama. Whatever occurs. It's simply not worth the wasted time and energy and I thank you for reminding me of that. I haven't posted anything anywhere lately other than on this forum and while on ICC. Well, I'm also commenting on CT tactics a bit again now, too. I think in depth discussion of individual tactics is actually a really underrated method of improvement.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #42 - 07/18/21 at 23:16:55
Post Tools
For right now, the club I joined in June this year meets on-line only although it has been around almost 70 years. Like many clubs, they are dependent on others for a physical location for OTB play & meetings. So those places must fully open first. They hold weekly Ladders & Quads on Chess.com. I confine myself to a free membership on Chess.com since I need something to play. No surprise, I am both a novice and unrated. I couldn't care less about the ratings these sites offer: There's only one rating that will matter to me and I look forward to earning it.

On this forum, besides help with openings, most of my help has come from the General board here. This includes several members who've given me personal help and advice that I value highly. It is hard for a newbie to understand they are asking the wrong kind of question, or assuming the wrong kind of answers, when they just don't know better. True in life, doubly so in chess. I mean myself, if no one else. Chess.com could boot me tomorrow and I promise you I have so much other material still to cover I would just soldier on until things opened back up. I would also continue to ask questions here on any chess topic, not just openings. As elsewhere in my life, I've often found it helpful to recall the old saying, "Save the drama for your mama." (Though I admit it has sometimes been a post-facto recall).

Cathexis

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #41 - 07/17/21 at 15:04:40
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 07/17/21 at 00:32:18:
A few comments regarding appropriacy and content.

This is an opening theory site. with a little other stuff appended. But clearly, overtly about chess openings.  Perhaps the OP can contribute in the opening threads. This all seems to be about one person, his frustration, and his ranting about this and that.

Personal rants offer little that helps others or that contributes toward community building. Might this be better on a personal blog? It would. Or Reddit or something. But not on an openings site.

Chess sites ban users for breaching rules of use. Typically, that is a roundabout way of saying 'cheating' - engine use. There will be a few false positives, but not that many. Those false positives likely being from strong players with deep theoretical knowledge playing several days per move games. The OP can consider carefully and reflect why the ban was imposed for breaching rules of use.

This site is owned and run by Tony Kosten. Perhaps posters can be circumspect in their criticism of other sites, noting that he is the one legally liable here. Fair enough to be critical, but don't go overboard with wild assertions.

And, for goodness sake, we don't want comments about people from particular areas cheating. This seems wildly inappropriate, particularly coming from someone who admits to having been banned himself.

I suggest to the OP: calm down. Take time away from online chess and from the internet. Don't rant here. Go for a walk in the park - smell flowers, feed ducks, do yoga.

Mods and TonyK - keep a close eye here.

Best wishes to OP and all with their chess games.

So that we don't drag my derail on even further: I understand where you're coming from and I certainly don't want to detract from the quality of this site - which is quite high. Moving forward, I'll remain more on topic and do a bit more reading and less writing.

That said: I swear on a stack that I didn't cheat or even say anything beyond what I told you I did. This was the fastest, most uncalled for ban that I've ever seen lol. I have no idea what the real reason behind this was as they refuse to communicate with me but I have seen other stories of the same thing happening to others at chess.com. Nobody understands it. The fact is that there are far better sites anyway.

I'm spending my time on ICC, PlayChess, Chess24 and CT. All paid subs, never a problem of any kind, all great moderators that I've had communication with both in the past and recently. I definitely won't have any issues on these sites.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #40 - 07/17/21 at 05:32:03
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 07/16/21 at 19:09:25:
I believe in free speech and that silencing people is wrong. I likewise believe in the use of persuasion rather than force. I would like to leave it at that, however I won't.

Internet is not a democratic rechtsstaat. There is no free speech on fora and blogs. Like Bibs pointed out ultimately GM Kosten decides. So this forum is rather an enlightened monarchy a la 17th and 18th Century France. The big difference is that any participant can leave whenever he/she likes.
Your views on free speech and political correctness hence are irrelevant, just like mine.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #39 - 07/17/21 at 00:32:18
Post Tools
A few comments regarding appropriacy and content.

This is an opening theory site. with a little other stuff appended. But clearly, overtly about chess openings.  Perhaps the OP can contribute in the opening threads. This all seems to be about one person, his frustration, and his ranting about this and that.

Personal rants offer little that helps others or that contributes toward community building. Might this be better on a personal blog? It would. Or Reddit or something. But not on an openings site.

Chess sites ban users for breaching rules of use. Typically, that is a roundabout way of saying 'cheating' - engine use. There will be a few false positives, but not that many. Those false positives likely being from strong players with deep theoretical knowledge playing several days per move games. The OP can consider carefully and reflect why the ban was imposed for breaching rules of use.

This site is owned and run by Tony Kosten. Perhaps posters can be circumspect in their criticism of other sites, noting that he is the one legally liable here. Fair enough to be critical, but don't go overboard with wild assertions.

And, for goodness sake, we don't want comments about people from particular areas cheating. This seems wildly inappropriate, particularly coming from someone who admits to having been banned himself.

I suggest to the OP: calm down. Take time away from online chess and from the internet. Don't rant here. Go for a walk in the park - smell flowers, feed ducks, do yoga.

Mods and TonyK - keep a close eye here.

Best wishes to OP and all with their chess games.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 07/16/21 at 19:09:25
Post Tools
ChessIsWar wrote on 07/16/21 at 04:25:29:
You have players who can barely read or write breaking 2000+ on Lichess.

I can't attest to all you say. However in my opinion, 2000 on Lichess may be about equivalent to 1400 on ICC. One plus for Lichess is that I seldom have to wait long for a game.

I have taken to playing speed games on my 8" Lenovo tablet, while my laptop recharges. I often review the games later on my laptop. As a result, I log into the same service and account on two devices. With those constraints in mind, I have considered several internet sites: Lichess, the internet chess club, chess.com and chess24.

Sites offer other features, for example, videos, articles, puzzles. One gets certain benefits for free, then have the option to obtain additional benefits for pay. I appreciate an easy download of my speed games. With a download of my games, I am able to check my performance, or review games, by opening.

I believe in free speech and that silencing people is wrong. I likewise believe in the use of persuasion rather than force. I would like to leave it at that, however I won't.

A business might want to appeal to all customers. In fact I think they should. Certain comments, even if true, might reduce the number of customers. That is a valid concern for a business.

Nonetheless, much of the political correctness in our society is just the application of force designed to silence diverging opinions and even stop the dissemination of true facts.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #37 - 07/16/21 at 17:11:03
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 07/16/21 at 13:57:20:
I pointed out how the majority of cheaters caught every week are Asian (it's true)

How do you know it is true, is this information published somewhere?

Yes. They post a list monthly of all the accounts closed. Further, every time someone posts a game publicly where they suspect cheating - sure enough, it's an Asian on the other end. I didn't even make a big thing about it...I just stated it. That's certainly not a reason to close someone's paid, USCF linked account without saying one word to them (to this minute). They don't reply to emails, they don't respond to phone calls, and they have a history of this. They have a one star rating with the BBB with numerous complaints just like mine. Further, they're being sued for this behavior as we speak and that's a fact. There's clearly really something wrong with more than one personality over there.

Of course, not being on Chess.com definitely removes some options for me to play. That said - It's a terrible site anyway when compared to ICC, Chess24, PlayChess, etc. Things are constantly bugged, everything is centered around speed chess, the site clearly caters toward children, and the forums are an absolute cesspool. I know none of the other sites operate in the way Chess.com does, though so I doubt I'll be being removed from any others. This was just totally outrageous. A company thinking it can just steal from customers and act vengeance upon them simply because they said something one of the employees didn't like? That's blatantly illegal.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 07/16/21 at 13:57:20
Post Tools
I pointed out how the majority of cheaters caught every week are Asian (it's true)

How do you know it is true, is this information published somewhere?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #35 - 07/16/21 at 12:46:42
Post Tools
Shame your account was banned. If they were wrong about that it wouldn't be the first time. But if you look at it from the server admin's point of view, they have countless complaints to deal with all day every day. They have a thankless job and I wouldn't want to do it. You wrote: "This has been a total waste of time and turned into constantly dealing with personalities and not just Chess.", and if you think about it for a minute, that describes their whole life. So at this point there's not much else to do than take some "lessons learned" and go back to the chess.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #34 - 07/16/21 at 08:16:38
Post Tools
Quick note
It’s non-standard behavior to keep replying to oneself in a forum. It is something that tends to be frowned upon.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #33 - 07/16/21 at 05:12:39
Post Tools
Just to recap: I had a paid, diamond sub with my USCF account linked to it on Chess.com and the account was closed suddenly with absolutely no reason supplied. They will not reply to my emails or support tickets and my Lichess account was simultaneously closed with no reason provided. Over something I said on a third party site?

I called the bank about it and they filed a fraud claim against Chess.com. Considering that they never supplied a reason for the closure and refuse to communicate - it's basically stealing. They can't just take people's money and not say anything to them about it.

Well, that's one more person who won't be a part of US Chess at all anymore. What a total waste of time and energy and in the end - everything ruined over little baby personalities and NOTHING to do with Chess. What a disgrace.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #32 - 07/16/21 at 04:50:36
Post Tools
Out of the crystal clear blue just now, while reviewing a game, my account was closed. I was muted so obviously I didn't say anything that caused this. Now we're having our accounts closed for things we say about Chess.com on third party sites?

This was a USCF linked, diamond account. Obviously, I have to call the bank and report fraud and then call the USCF to get my money back and show them what Chess.com did to directly drive another US member out of the chess world.

This has been a total waste of time and turned into constantly dealing with personalities and not just Chess. What a bunch of little babies in this game today.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #31 - 07/16/21 at 04:25:29
Post Tools
Quickly: One of the problems I'm seeing initially here is the personalities involved in this game. There are a ton of little babies who play Chess. Cheating, stalling, complaining, etc - it's rampant in online Chess. Further, there's no reason to play anything other than long time controls. Anything rapid or faster is just loaded with kids who have pet lines memorized 20 moves deep. It's just all about memorization.

The other problem is the people who run the online sites Chess.com and Lichess. Everything on these sites is about protecting egos, woke nonsense, and banning people the second they say something the mods don't like. I pointed out how the majority of cheaters caught every week are Asian (it's true) and they muted me for a WEEK on Chess.com, without any warning. Further, they then went and deleted ALL of my content on the site for absolutely no reason other than spite. I might have to just stick to OTB because - as we know - these personality types only get away with this behavior online. There are consequences offline.

ICC, PlayChess, Chess24, ChessTempo. These are the quality sites today. Chess.com and Lichess are just business models centered around children and casual housewives. You have players who can barely read or write breaking 2000+ on Lichess. It's just a nonsense server.

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #30 - 07/14/21 at 04:30:06
Post Tools
Just to update this quickly - Everything has continued to go great. I reached a pretty big milestone for me in 1200+ blitz on chess.com, playing nothing but 5+5's. My rapid is 1503 there and I've improved quite a bit since I was playing my rapid games on chess.com. I also reached 2000+ in tactics on Chess.com, and my standard tactics on ChessTempo are over 1600 now. My Lichess rapid is 1674 after 11 games and my classical is 1810 after 8 games. Blitz = 1330 over 36 games.

https://lichess.org/@/TitleHunter2021
https://www.chess.com/member/digitalwarfare

I played game 1 of the 45+45 team league on ICC over the weekend and drew for half a point.

I will be playing another game this week - now as black - and I have already begun prepping for my opponent. Overall, I'm completely immersed in the game and am enjoying it far more now than ever, considering that I understand so much more. I have been studying a ton. A lot of the material is linked to my profiles and threads. I have been pouring through the International Chess School material, courses on tactics and positional play on ICC, as well as courses on Chess24.

I went through and got out all of my tournament chess equipment and I already have more than I could ever need. Multiple sets with multiple clocks, quivers, scorebooks, etc. I have books that I'm going through OTB here so the entirety of my training isn't centered around the computer. I'm already itching to play some longer games OTB and very well may look for either a USCF or - even better - a FIDE event down in NYC to attend. I'm working on my opening repertoires, expanding and refining them. I love both opening and endgame theory and look forward to digging into both even further. All in all - I couldn't really be much happier with the game, my progress, or my plan for the future. Personally, chess is having a great effect on me. I'm far more patient, balanced, sharp, focused. So...nothing will be changing and I'll only be spending more time on the game next month.

I have Fritz 15 and the CB reader, along with a Komodo engine and SF Dev. I'm considering buying either Komodo Dragon 2 or the new CB database and software at some point. For now, I do have a CB/PlayChess sub and use the live db there often, as well as the one on ChessTempo. It's incredibly helpful for learning lines and finding relevant master games to go through, see what middlegames develop from what openings, and of course see what endgame comes about and how it was played by both sides. I see a ton of players have problems when the game begins to transition to and then is in the endgame and I've definitely already picked up many a point by simply playing better endgames in time trouble.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 07/02/21 at 22:02:10
Post Tools
ChessIsWar wrote on 07/02/21 at 17:22:24:
Konstriktor wrote on 07/02/21 at 11:17:01:
I am a bit reluctant to answer to this thread because I really, really dislike the title.

...Why?

I think that war is never an answer or solution to any conflict whatsoever. Basically you ask for help in improvement in some sort of personal war? It is probably figure of speech, but I don't get it. I like to offer advice, but I just dislike the whole notion of war.

It's probably me, so let's just stick to chess improvement  in this thread Cool
But this was my last contribution to this thread with the current title FWIW
There will be enough to help you out here, so good luck with your path to chess enlightenment!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo