Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dragon repertoar by Marin from ModernChess (Read 10883 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Dragon repertoar by Marin from ModernChess
Reply #20 - 07/24/21 at 20:59:14
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 07/24/21 at 16:57:30:
I'm thinking of moving this thread to the General Chess section as only few comments are about the Dragon. Nothing wrong with this. I'll decide tomorrow; one reason is that I don't feel like today.

That's your choice, but I would prefer to keep it here. I expect the discussion to turn more towards the Dragon and Marin's recommended lines now - I mean, how much more is there to say about him as a writer and theoretician in general?

(I even bought this Dragon database myself, but I don't know when I will find the time to look at it. I finally have some real OTB chess coming up again!)

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MNb
YaBB Moderator

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #19 - 07/24/21 at 16:57:30
Post Tools
I'm thinking of moving this thread to the General Chess section as only few comments are about the Dragon. Nothing wrong with this. I'll decide tomorrow; one reason is that I don't feel like today.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #18 - 07/24/21 at 15:38:42
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 07/24/21 at 08:23:03:
XChess1971 wrote on 07/24/21 at 03:09:47:
Straggler wrote on 07/23/21 at 08:37:26:
XChess1971 wrote on 07/23/21 at 05:39:39:
Well it is good to know. If there is not much explanation or no explanation at all. Chances are the GM didn't do a thorough investigation.

I don’t understand that. You may not like Marin’s recommendations, but I’ve never heard it suggested that he doesn’t provide enough explanation.

I did not say that I do not like Marin's explanations. I said that if there is little or no explanation at all maybe the GM didn't do a thorough investigation.

I have never seen a Marin work with "little or no explanation at all". As I said earlier, that's what he does best. So you can understand why people are surprised when you suggest that as a problem with this database.

Analytical errors are more likely to be an issue, especially in such a complicated opening as the Dragon.

You might be right. I'm not assuring what I am saying. I'm just saying what I think. I have different Marin's books and there is one with White for the English. I played his suggestion and I never got better in the position. Another suggestion looked interesting. But no clear opening advantage on that one either. I guess what Marin exposes is more of a playable position. But no deep analysis.
Unfortunately the complicated lines in the Dragon are very concrete. The ideas stay. But with no clear analysis you can not play it. One mistake is all it takes to go down.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #17 - 07/24/21 at 08:23:03
Post Tools
XChess1971 wrote on 07/24/21 at 03:09:47:
Well it is good to know. If there is not much explanation or no explanation at all. Chances are the GM didn't do a thorough investigation.

I don’t understand that. You may not like Marin’s recommendations, but I’ve never heard it suggested that he doesn’t provide enough explanation.

I did not say that I do not like Marin's explanations. I said that if there is little or no explanation at all maybe the GM didn't do a thorough investigation.

I have never seen a Marin work with "little or no explanation at all". As I said earlier, that's what he does best. So you can understand why people are surprised when you suggest that as a problem with this database.

Analytical errors are more likely to be an issue, especially in such a complicated opening as the Dragon.

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #16 - 07/24/21 at 03:23:15
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 07/23/21 at 17:33:42:
Bibs wrote on 07/23/21 at 14:24:49:
If there is a special hell designated for chess writers, the first to burn in caissic eternal damnation are the ghastly triumvirate of Keene (plagiarism), Schiller (just plain bad), Lakdawala

Now that is harsh. Keene and Schiller both wrote at least one decent book.

I don't even look at Schiller's books. Guess why?

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #15 - 07/24/21 at 03:19:43
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/23/21 at 15:44:03:
The Dragon base is huge and I see no obius mistakes. He appears to enter mainlines.

I have look at several variations hasy. It appers to be a very combatable recommendatios. In Soltis variation with direct Bh6 he goes for Bxh6 Qxh6 Rxc3 bxc3 Qc7. I thougt this was supposed to be good for white

13.Bh6 Bxh6 14.Qxh6 Rxc3 15.bxc3 Qc7, 15...Qa5 and 15...Qc8 Since forever I have known to be better for white if I am not wrong. Initially black had unbelievable play. Until some g4 combined with Nf5 line put it to rest. I don't know if there has been maybe a computer improvement for black. Otherwise I wouldn't understand why Marin recommends that. As far as I know 13...Nc4 would be the move!

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #14 - 07/24/21 at 03:09:47
Post Tools

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #13 - 07/23/21 at 22:16:17
Post Tools
@bragesjo:
Thanks a lot! I will stick to the Dragon in this thread from now on.
Except...

Paddy wrote on 07/23/21 at 20:25:45:
“You can put lipstick on a Bogo-Indian but it's still a Bogo-Indian."
Vishy Anand   
Smiley
-)

Grin Is that an actual Anand quote? Funny and a bit out of character.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #12 - 07/23/21 at 20:25:45
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/23/21 at 16:44:40:
Bogo Indian Nd2 he stopped writing in a sideline black gets tempo for attack where whites play is much faster evaluatiing as a pawn better for white. Stockfish 14 is a bit more optemistic for black than Stockfish 13 and Fat Fritz 2. I forgot to computer check the position before and it had not helped and I got worse lost 2 games in the same tournament.

“You can put lipstick on a Bogo-Indian but it's still a Bogo-Indian."
Vishy Anand   
Smiley
-)

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #11 - 07/23/21 at 17:33:42
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 07/23/21 at 14:24:49:
If there is a special hell designated for chess writers, the first to burn in caissic eternal damnation are the ghastly triumvirate of Keene (plagiarism), Schiller (just plain bad), Lakdawala

Now that is harsh. Keene and Schiller both wrote at least one decent book.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #10 - 07/23/21 at 16:44:40
Post Tools
Yes Marin is good at expaining concepts and writing articles. I have most of hes none opening bases and several of hes opening bases. One can also not expect every line covered.

I will not post any games.

One side line in c4 b6 he wants to sacifice an exchange in a move. missing an  computers improvment later. I computer checked and played a normal move instead getting the better side of an easy draw.

One sideline in Nimzo Qc2 he suggested realy odd move missing a computer suggestion where both Stockfish 13 and Fat Fritz 2 thougt white is a pawn better material equal but black has problem the getting pieces out. I computer checked played a slight diversion and drawed.

Bogo Indian Nd2 he stopped writing in a sideline black gets tempo for attack where whites play is much faster evaluatiing as a pawn better for white. Stockfish 14 is a bit more optemistic for black than Stockfish 13 and Fat Fritz 2. I forgot to computer check the position before and it had not helped and I got worse lost 2 games in the same tournament.

But I think we should discuss Dragon and not Marin here.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #9 - 07/23/21 at 16:07:57
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/23/21 at 15:36:50:
Sorry I was a bit harch. The holes are not in the French bases even throght one line was lighty covered even after an update. I refered to 3 other bases where he covered lines like in one case writing black gets attack when whites counter attack is much faster.

Marin has become one of my favorite instructive chess writers, but possibly he's better at identifying interesting ideas, explaining things, teaching patterns and strategies and adding historical context and a personal perspective rather than at strict analysis quality.

I found a couple of holes in his Modern Benoni repertoire databases, even without access to strong engines myself. Of course those are some 3-4 years old already, so since then everyone's analysis has improved, including Marin's.

I still can't contain my curiosity though: which Marin opening databases are the holes you're talking about in, bragesjo? Grünfeld, Modern Benoni, Hedgehog for Black, Leningrad Bird, Catalan, Nimzo-Indian, Bogo-Indian? I've bought almost all of them over the years, but as for finding time to actually study and check them, that's another matter...

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #8 - 07/23/21 at 15:44:03
Post Tools
The Dragon base is huge and I see no obvious mistakes. He appears to enter mainlines.

I have look at several variations hasy. It appers to be a very combatable recommendatios. In Soltis variation with direct Bh6 he goes for Bxh6 Qxh6 Rxc3 bxc3 Qc7. I thougt this was supposed to be good for white
« Last Edit: 07/24/21 at 06:15:57 by MNb »  
IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #7 - 07/23/21 at 15:36:50
Post Tools
Sorry I was a bit harsh. The holes are not in the French bases even though one line was lighty covered even after an update. I refered to 3 other bases where he covered lines like in one case writing black gets attack when whites counter attack is much faster. The French bases helped me get a CCE title. I only meant he realises bases at a high tempo. I also liked several of hes none opening bases. I think we get back to Dragon discussion.
« Last Edit: 07/24/21 at 06:15:34 by MNb »  
IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #6 - 07/23/21 at 15:24:05
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/23/21 at 10:51:58:
Marin is like ModernChess version of Lakdawala in terms of writing opening stuff. He is a strong player and has written many good bases even for ModernChess but in more than 3 bases there are incorrect concrete opening recommendations where opponents gets a large edge.

Please, don't tell me the other holes are in his French repertoire databases for Black. I had them, but did not checked them in detail with Stockfish. I intended to give then a chance (especially the Winawer lines).

I considered Marin a totally trustworthy author. I even considered buying his quality chess books on the Dutch (I assume there are more people checking lines in a book, btw).

thx to pointed this out to us

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo