Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nf3, which would you play?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Total votes: 11
« Created by: FreeRepublic on: 09/09/21 at 15:40:05 »
Normal Topic Queen's Gambit for Black (Read 496 times)
FreeRepublic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Queen's Gambit for Black
Reply #3 - 09/15/21 at 13:58:58
Post Tools
I'd like to offer an alternative move order to the target position:

1d4 Nf6 2c4 e6 3Nf3 d5 4Nc3. The threat of playing the Nimzo-Indian, 3Nc3 Bb4 leads to a minor concession, 3Nf3. Black has many options on move 3.

With 3...d5 I think all lines have been improved ever so slightly compared to the same position with white having played 3Nc3. So the question of this poll is how best to take advantage of black's position from this position.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/15/21 at 13:13:16
Post Tools
Just a few notes on additional lines.

With 4...c6 black is ready to go on to Meran and anti-Meran systems. These are dynamic systems with pros and cons.

4...c5 introduces the Semi-Tarrasch. 5cxd Nxd5 6e3 typically leads to unbalanced isolated queen pawn variations. This was once very popular at higher levels. White can instead go for space with 6e4, which I think has put some players off this system. 6g3 can lead to the Keres-Parma variation. Recently some strong players have recently attempted 5...cxd4. I was about to refer to this as the Hennig–Schara counter gambit, but here both king knights have been developed.

4...Nbd7 has been suggested as an anti-Bf4 line. After 5Bf4 dxc 6e3, Black has a choice among 6...b5, 6...Nb6, 6...Nd5, and 6...a6. I think it's a nice choice. However after 6Bg5 black has given up some options, specifically the Tartakover and Lasker variations. Similarly after 6cxd exd, Black has reduced his options against the exchange variation.

Finally 4...a6 leads to some newly recommended lines.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 09/12/21 at 16:37:04
Post Tools
I see 4...Bb4 and 4...dxc as related. My reasoning follows.

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nf3 Bb4 5. Bg5 can lead to the Vienna variation after 5...dxc 6e4 or the Ragozin after 5...h6. White can frustrate these intentions by playing 5cxd, or 5Qa4ch.

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nf3 dc4 5. e4 Bb4 6. Bg5 is another route to the Vienna variation. I don't know if Black has any other good 5th move, though 5...b5 and 5...c5 come to mind. White can frustrate Black's intention of entering the Vienna variation by playing 6Bxc4 or 5e3, which transpose to specific lines of the Queen's gambit accepted.

If I were to play either 4...Bb4 or 4...dxc, it would be with the intent of entering the Vienna variation. So I see these lines as related. It's just that White has differing anti-Vienna options depending on Black's 4th move.

However, some players would choose 4...Bb4 with the intent of playing the Ragozin variation. With that goal in mind, they would not consider 4...dxc. As far as I can tell, black would only play play 4...dxc as a possible way of enter the Vienna variation (after 5e4 Bb4 6Bg5).

IP Logged

FreeRepublic

I Love ChessPublishing!

Queen's Gambit for Black
09/09/21 at 15:40:05
Post Tools
Perhaps black is spoiled for choices. After 4...Be7, black must prepare for both Bg5 and Bf4 systems. However each choice leaves white with choices in turn. Feel free to share your reasoning if you like.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo