Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Carlsen- Nepo WC match, Nov 26 start (Read 7947 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Carlsen- Nepo WC match, Nov 26 start
Reply #33 - 12/11/21 at 17:59:35
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 12/11/21 at 14:32:49:
I don't think Nepo will ever recover.

I was wondering this too. The other possibility is Nepomniachtchi, after licking his wounds, draws some conclusions from the match and emerges as a tougher player. I don't see any reason to consider one as more likely than the other -- it would require detailed knowledge of the whole person and their response to adversity.

We shouldn't completely discount the possibility Nepomniachtchi had a health crisis to go along with his chess crisis. Since I re-injured my back last Saturday and looked over game six while in physical pain, it reminded me that sitting in a chair for a whole day while sweating over a chessboard is not among the healthiest activities.

ReneDescartes wrote on 12/11/21 at 14:32:49:
Carlsen also gave a clinic on how to deal with a player who moves fast. The sight of Carlsen sitting at  the board, pointedly using most of his time, analyzing at length the ramifications of each hasty move of his opponent, was inspiring.

It reminds me of John Curdo's advice for how to play against an opponent who is in time pressure: Make the best move.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #32 - 12/11/21 at 14:32:49
Post Tools
Conratulations to Magnus! This was a Fischer-esque result. He "crushed Nepo's mind," to use Fischer's phrase. I don't think Nepo will ever recover. Carlsen also gave a clinic on how to deal with a player who moves fast. The sight of Carlsen sitting at  the board, pointedly using most of his time, analyzing at length the ramifications of each hasty move of his opponent, was inspiring. His psychological analysis of Nepo was spot on -- he forced him to adjust to early, but not too early, novelties and fight on equal but unfamiliar territory in the closed Spanish, a completely different strategy from the one he used against Caruana. Game 6 was surely one of the most magnificent battles in chess history. Nepo's subsequent collapse was reminiscent of Pillsbury's at St. Petersburg 1895-6, when he lost four more games in a row after losing a huge battle with Lasker in the famous double ...Ra3!! sacrifice game. Interestingly, Carlsen in the deciding game also sent his rook "where no rook has gone before," into no-man's land on f4, and Nepo fatally took it.
« Last Edit: 12/12/21 at 03:31:13 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #31 - 12/11/21 at 08:55:46
Post Tools
I collect books about World Championship matches. Does anyone know about any book about this match?

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #30 - 12/09/21 at 10:23:24
Post Tools
My own take is that Nepo has found a match for the World Championship to be a big step up. Kasparov has said the same about the aborted first match against Karpov (which Karpov described as giving Kasparov a load of free chess lessons). And it's been worse for Nepo because, without the candidates match cycle to go through, he's had no real match experience at all. If he can find the resources to qualify again, I think he'd be a much tougher opponent second time around.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #29 - 12/09/21 at 06:22:23
Post Tools
Right now he just wants to regain his self-possession. Later he can try to win a game if he feels he's stabilized.

One strange thing is how many games had errors involving white pawns on b4 and black pawns on b5--pushing them there weakening squares, not pushing them there, not capturing them...it's been a battle of b-pawn blunders (and a certain c-pawn blunder).

« Last Edit: 12/09/21 at 14:18:07 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #28 - 12/08/21 at 16:55:41
Post Tools
I think that he's throwing in the towel, a couple of easy draws and going home is all the Nepo wants at this point.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #27 - 12/08/21 at 14:36:32
Post Tools
He's only playing for pride now, so I suppose whatever strategy is going to maximise that outcome probably doesn't involve coming out swinging with Black after two horrible losses.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #26 - 12/08/21 at 14:12:51
Post Tools
Why does Nepo insist on playing Petroff?
He must win and Carlsen plays a line similar to Capablanca and Laskers Qe2, the very best line vs Petroff...

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #25 - 12/07/21 at 22:53:24
Post Tools
Talk about the power of pawns; h5 in one game, c5 in another. Morituri te salutant.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #24 - 12/07/21 at 04:30:55
Post Tools
Laramonet wrote on 12/06/21 at 21:12:30:
Trying to mix things up as Black seems odd, particularly from a Petroff.

Mixing things up is what comes naturally to him. See 25...Rac8 in game six. It takes hard work to keep tight control over one's natural impulses, precisely what one is unable to do when very tired. Or one can do it for a while, but not for a whole game. So, in game eight he sat down with the best of intentions (Petroff!), but could not sustain it (10...Kf8, 14...Rh6). Playing a match is an enormous strain. Not enough days off, the pressure to always be preparing something, the feeling that short draws help the opponent more than yourself, as the match progresses you only want to sleep....

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #23 - 12/06/21 at 23:07:31
Post Tools
With an approx. $2 mil U.S. prize fund split 60/40, Nepo stands to walk away with 800,000 and that ain't chump change. There may be a clause that says something like, "no play, no pay." So, I truly hope he gains a more fighting spirit and is able to come away with honor, win or lose. IIRC, he had a winning record vs. Magnus prior to this match. Wonder what happened?

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #22 - 12/06/21 at 21:12:30
Post Tools
The match strategy from Nepo has seemed confused. After the long difficult loss, a quick draw as white may have been sensible. Playing a Petroff as Black would seem to be "I'd like another quick draw", then why not answer Qe1 with Qe7 ?
Trying to mix things up as Black seems odd, particlularly from a Petroff. Why not try something creating more imbalance ?
I hope for his own sake, he reverts to his natural game and plays sharp, interesting chess and gets at least one win. Nobody wants to see him get crushed, apart from maybe Carlsen in his most sadistic mood.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #21 - 12/06/21 at 20:38:02
Post Tools
Nepo's brain was melted in game 8. The tactic after ...b5 was elementary--Caruana and Hess spotted it instantly (and incredulously) when the move was reported. As Anand said, there's no explanation for such moves--your mind just stops functioning.

The absolute brutality of the loss in game 6, the visceral experience of being mauled by Carlsen's maniacal will to win and willingness to punish both himself and his opponent, must have been terrifying.

I already noted that Carlsen had become a bit frightening in the press conference after game 5. He said his seconds' emotions were irrelevant to him and that he thinks it would be cool to injure a professional football player--that when he plays around with one he is aggressive so that the pro is  forced to back off for fear of injury.  "Just a tip," he said.

Nepo is known to be a highly emotional, streaky player. Maybe he can dig deep and find some inner resources after the rest day, but it's going to be hard. He has to catch up by at least one point in five (not six) games against the owner of the longest undefeated streak in history.  I think he's more likely to fall apart again than pull himself together in the remaining games.
« Last Edit: 12/07/21 at 01:22:03 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #20 - 12/06/21 at 04:08:17
Post Tools
The last three games have been extremely impressive on Carlsen's part (even the easy draw in game 7 after a long day).  If Jan couldn't find 20.c4! earlier, and the way these last few games have gone, I don't think there's much chance for him to win even a single game.  This reminds me of the Anand-Carlsen match very much.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #19 - 12/06/21 at 00:54:33
Post Tools
Not looking so good for Ian after today. Very, very subjective on my part, yes - But I felt that Ian's h5 was risky. I kinda feel that he is trying to throw whatever he can in hopes of provoking a blunder by Magnus and it ain't working. Once a python has a hold if you can't decapitate it, you will feel the squeeze. Just my .02 cent's worth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo