Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Nimzo-Indian by Dariusz Swiercz (Read 4007 times)
Nernstian59

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Nimzo-Indian by Dariusz Swiercz
Reply #9 - 07/07/23 at 17:15:26
Post Tools
Volume 2, which I mentioned in Reply #6, was recently released by Thinkers Publishing.  As suspected, it recommends the Ragozin in response to 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 (via 3...d5 4.Nc3 Bb4).  The book also includes coverage of the Catalan and QGD sidelines.

The publisher's preview, as usual, isn't especially informative.  The Table of Contents doesn't reveal much, and rest of the sample pages are from the chapter on QGD sidelines, rather than the Ragozin, which makes up the bulk of the book.

IP Logged

Nernstian59

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 12/18/21 at 21:45:10
Post Tools
You're welcome! I also thought the position after 5...Be7 showed some resemblance to the QGD.  However, the author's continuation 6.e4 dxe4 7.fxe4 c5 8.d5 exd5 9.exd5 0-0 seems to steer toward Benoni territory.

Swiercz had these remarks about his choice: "One of the most popular responses as Black to 4.f3.  As it is such a hot line, I have decided to share my two cents on this topic." 

When I did a search in Mega Database 2020, this line was indeed marked as "Hot", so it seems that Swiercz is going with the trendy response to 4.f3.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 12/16/21 at 23:42:06
Post Tools
Thanks for the info!

Nernstian59 wrote on 12/16/21 at 23:08:01:
4.f3 d5 5.a3 Be7

At modern-chess, GM Marin and GM Kuljasevic each has their own Nimzo repertoire. They both answer 4f3 with ...c5 5d5 b5. At one point Kuljasevic continues ...0-0, allowing white to play e5 attacking the knight. Marin takes time out to play ...d6 preventing e5. The lines are probably good, but extremely sharp and committal.

4f3 d5 5a3 Be7 might appeal to me more. Its more of a QGD approach than a Benoni/Blumenfeld approach. After the given moves, the game can still go in many different directions. I expect the author will do a good job picking and choosing from the many possible approaches.

IP Logged

Nernstian59

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/16/21 at 23:08:01
Post Tools
I have the book and can confirm that FreeRepublic is correct in his deduction that 4...d5 is the author's recommended response to 4.Qc2.  Sadly the error "4.Qc2 0-0" occurs not only in the Table of Contents, but also in the Chapter Guides at the start of each of the two chapters covering 4.Qc2 and as well as in the page headers for all of the right-hand (recto) pages of those chapters.

For those interested in more details of the proposed repertoire, here's a quick summary of the responses to White's other fourth moves:

4.Qb3 c5
4.Bg5 c5 5.d5 d6 6.e3 Bxc3+
4.Bd2 0-0
4.g3 0-0 5.Bg2 Bxc3+
4.a3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 c5
4.f3 d5 5.a3 Be7

Although Swiercz's recommendation for 4.Nf3 is to transpose to the Ragozin with 4...d5, he notes that this variation will be part of volume 2, suggesting that this forthcoming volume will cover 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3.  The author didn't want to leave the readers of the current book completely without resources for meeting 4.Nf3, so he goes over 4.Nf3 Bxc3+ 5.bxc3 d6 in Chapter 6 of Volume 1.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 11/21/21 at 14:42:17
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 11/14/21 at 23:26:17:
There is a look inside option on forward chess that might quell some curiosity about which lines are recommended.

Yes. The sample material reads very well, imo. He recommends the Larsen variation (also in the NID repertoire by GM Kuljasevic at MC).

However the table of contents contains an illegal move against the Classical variation:  1d4 Nf6 2c4 e6 3Nc3 Bb4 4Qc2 0-0 5cxd5. Perhaps he covers 4...d5 instead of (or in addition to) 4...0-0.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/15/21 at 09:18:05
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 11/15/21 at 00:26:16:
FreeRepublic wrote on 11/14/21 at 23:07:46:
E59 probably does not deserve it's "main line" name. I don't know the last time it was recommended for black. I think of it as "the main line no one talks about."

I still find the line to be strategically interesting. White has the two bishops but one is locked up behind pawns. The line does well in human games. Analyzing with a computer, it seems black always has a way, though not always the first one that I or the engine consider.

Seems that there has never been a Chess Publishing update on E59 ... wow.

Ivan Sokolov's 2012 book on the Rubinstein had almost 50 pages on it (that is, the line with 9...dc and 10...Qc7).  He thought 11. Bb2 should lead to an opening advantage for White.

Impressive absence Smiley

iirc If you follow Sokolov's lines with Leela it finds some not very obvious attacking ideas for black that keep it very unclear indeed. Not at all surprised it looked nice for white in 2012.

I suspect that people mainly don't put it in books due to the quantity of alternative playable options with lower theoretical loads. The same way that all the white books tend to go for 5/6 Nge2.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/15/21 at 06:55:18
Post Tools
I was not familiar with the author, so I did a little research. He is rated 2659.

He played in this years US Championship finished T8th..

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/15/21 at 00:26:16
Post Tools
E59 probably does not deserve it's "main line" name. I don't know the last time it was recommended for black. I think of it as "the main line no one talks about."

I still find the line to be strategically interesting. White has the two bishops but one is locked up behind pawns. The line does well in human games. Analyzing with a computer, it seems black always has a way, though not always the first one that I or the engine consider.

Seems that there has never been a Chess Publishing update on E59 ... wow.

Ivan Sokolov's 2012 book on the Rubinstein had almost 50 pages on it (that is, the line with 9...dc and 10...Qc7).  He thought 11. Bb2 should lead to an opening advantage for White.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 11/14/21 at 23:26:17
Post Tools
Hi.

All I know is I watched a 1.d4 d6 video he made (free on youtube if anyone wonders) and kinda liked it. He talked for an hour or so about 1.d4 d6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.c4 g6 4.Nc3 Bf5!?; which is certainly an interesting way of playing the position.

Think I also played in the same youth tournament as him once (he won it Grin).

Edit: There is a look inside option on forward chess that might quell some curiosity about which lines are recommended.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Nimzo-Indian by Dariusz Swiercz
11/14/21 at 23:07:46
Post Tools
A Complete Opening Repertoire for Black after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6! - Volume 1 - Nimzo-Indian

Publisher: Thinkers Publishing
Author: Dariusz Swiercz

Available from
https://thinkerspublishing.com/
https://forwardchess.com/

I was not familiar with the author, so I did a little research. He is rated 2659. His nationality is shown as Polish and American in Chess Assistant. As black he has played several lines against the Rubinstein, mostly the main line, E59. I would be curious to know what he recommends for black.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo