Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Understand The Scandinavian (Read 585 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Understand The Scandinavian
Reply #4 - 01/07/22 at 19:35:25
Post Tools
Marcellus wrote on 01/07/22 at 15:23:04:
TopNotch wrote on 01/05/22 at 18:50:34:
In my opinion, the Papaioannou course is by far the best explained and most convincing theoretical source on the 3...Qa5 Scandi that I've seen in recent times, and trust me I've seen plenty and analyzed the Scandi a tremendous amount from the white side for my own repertoire.

Have you seen any of Papaioannou's other courses? He gives great explanations of plans and has made me interested in playing the Torre and the Bogo.

No, I haven't seen Papaioannous's other work but it's clear to me he's a very dynamic and enthusiastic presenter that really commands your attention.

I lost all track of time when watching his instructive and well-thought-out videos, but what impressed me most were the theoretical revelations. 

Cheers,
Toppy

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #3 - 01/07/22 at 15:23:04
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 01/05/22 at 18:50:34:
In my opinion, the Papaioannou course is by far the best explained and most convincing theoretical source on the 3...Qa5 Scandi that I've seen in recent times, and trust me I've seen plenty and analyzed the Scandi a tremendous amount from the white side for my own repertoire.

Have you seen any of Papaioannou's other courses? He gives great explanations of plans and has made me interested in playing the Torre and the Bogo.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/06/22 at 19:29:44
Post Tools
Thanks TopNotch really helpful info..

Cheers

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #1 - 01/05/22 at 18:50:34
Post Tools
MW wrote on 01/02/22 at 18:19:25:
Does any one own this workshop product from Modern Chess by GM Papaioannou and if so what do you think of it?

I already own the recent book by Willemeze and the Modern Chess course "Play the Scandinavian" by GM Lorenzini but Papaioannou's workshop looks a little different in so far as he opts for early ....c6 lines.

Thanks 

The main gripe I have with Modern-Chess-Workshop products in general, is the pathetic and unprofessional quality of the video, in this day and age of 1080p resolution, 260p zoom call quality is simply not going to cut it. MCT management if you are reading this - UP YOUR GAME!!

Regarding all of Lorenzini's work, not just the Scandi, it's pretty run-of-the-mill unimpressive stuff that brings nothing new to the table to push existing theory forward. To be honest I don't know how authors get away these days with just recycling the same old deviled egg time and time again. Oh, and did I mention it's grossly over-priced for what you get.

That's my two cents, hope it helps you make a decision.

Cheers,
Toppy

Postscript: BTW GM Papaioannou doesn't really go for early c6 lines at all, unless it's necessary. His mainline is the Larznicka variation, he calls it something else but I can't figure out what he's saying, so I coined it the Laznicka: [1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.d4 Nf6 5.Nf3 Bf5 6.Bc4 e6]

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Understand The Scandinavian
01/02/22 at 18:19:25
Post Tools
Does any one own this workshop product from Modern Chess by GM Papaioannou and if so what do you think of it?

I already own the recent book by Willemeze and the Modern Chess course "Play the Scandinavian" by GM Lorenzini but Papaioannou's workshop looks a little different in so far as he opts for early ....c6 lines.

Thanks

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo