Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New in Chess Yearbook Comes to an End (Read 6332 times)
FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New in Chess Yearbook Comes to an End
Reply #23 - 05/02/23 at 12:28:46
Post Tools
mattchess wrote on 12/14/22 at 17:29:10:
If you own the digital edition of NIC Yearbook, you can also access it through GChess.  My advice would be to access it that way because GChess provides an interface to NIC articles that is searchable by position.

Thanks for the information. I can't access the NIC Yearbook through GChess. I suspect business relationships have changed. What I can do is to use GChess to search for positions from the NIC Yearbooks. That is very useful. It saves a lot of time.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 05/02/23 at 01:30:11
Post Tools
"Would you like to get full digital access to the last 25 Yearbooks?"

https://www.newinchess.com/yearbook

I took advantage of this. The yearbooks display well on line: all games, comments and analysis. It's a nice, self-contained product. However, you can not copy comments and paste them into another program.

I also downloaded the PGN of the bare games. It does not include comments and analysis.

I have access to yearbook games from Yearbook 62 to 142. As I have the physical yearbooks 62 to 69, it's handy to have the PGN of the games, contained therein. You might be interested if you are like me and have some old physical yearbooks.

IP Logged

mattchess

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 12/25/22 at 07:53:42
Post Tools
NIC yearbooks also are searchable/viewable for me on GChess as well.  You do need to be using the same email for both NIC and GChess otherwise you will need to contact GChess support so they can link your NIC account.

IP Logged

Nernstian59

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 12/24/22 at 20:47:07
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 12/23/22 at 01:51:09:
I could not get the Yearbooks to come up on my tablet or Gchess.

I'm able to access the Yearbooks in GChess.  I rarely sign into GChess, so I'm afraid I don't know if I've had this capability all along, or if it's related to recently getting a full subscription to Chess Publishing for the first time.  I also had a subscription to the NIC Yearbooks, so that could be an explanation as well.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 12/23/22 at 01:51:09
Post Tools
The NIC Yearbooks play well in their browser (Windows). One can also download the yearbook games as PGN, however comments and analysis do not download. Chess Publishing is much better in that regard!

I could not get the Yearbooks to come up on my tablet or Gchess. I will probably contact NIC about this after the holidays.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 12/14/22 at 20:08:20
Post Tools
Thanks! I've created a bookmark and log-in to GChess. I've explored it a little and it looks good.

IP Logged

mattchess

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 12/14/22 at 17:29:10
Post Tools
If you own the digital edition of NIC Yearbook, you can also access it through GChess.  My advice would be to access it that way because GChess provides an interface to NIC articles that is searchable by position.  I think GChess plans to digitize past editions earlier than YB 118 at some point.  In addition you can also access your ChessPub articles/analysis there by linking your ChessPub account, and can also get access to OpeningMaster database, Everyman Chess digital books, Chessable short and sweets, videos and other features (for a fee).

From their FAQ:

If you sign up with the same email on both platforms you should automatically get access to NIC. If your email is different, please send an email to support@gchess.com and we'll give you access. You need a subscription to the New In Chess Yearbook, not the magazine, to have access to the articles.

https://gchess.com/index.php

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 12/14/22 at 15:58:50
Post Tools
From New In Chess:

"After 35 years, 142 Yearbooks, and more than 35.000 pages New In Chess Yearbook has come to an end. But of course, a lot of this information is still very valuable.

With this offer, you can get access to the last 25 yearbooks starting with YB 118 and including the final yearbook 142.

The digital edition of the Yearbook can be read via apps for iOS, Android and Windows. You can find more information in the links in the footer of this website."

https://www.newinchess.com/yearbook-digital-archive

At 99 Euros, this comes to about only 4 Euros per volume. I have a Windows OS computer. Does anyone have experience with their products on Windows PC?

IP Logged

MJMcCready
YaBB Newbies

Reply #15 - 07/19/22 at 03:38:38
Post Tools
Nernstian59 wrote on 02/14/22 at 19:55:38:
New in Chess has announced that Yearbook 142 will be the last one.  The reason given on their website: "The study of chess opening ideas is increasingly moving to online platforms and cloud-based solutions..." 

Do the ChessPub posters have suggestions for any online sources that offer content similar to the opening surveys in the NiC Yearbooks?  Chess Publishing is an obvious one, and the opening section of ChessBase Magazine also comes to mind. 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Ok fair point but it's been that way for quite some time already.

mccreadyandchess.org

IP Logged

Nernstian59

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 04/12/22 at 01:50:32
Post Tools
mattchess wrote on 04/10/22 at 16:08:28:
mattchess wrote on 02/14/22 at 20:37:44:
This is a real shame.  Other than ChessPublishing itself my only other thought is ChessBase Magazine which has great annotated games (as well as videos).

I forgot to mention Chess Informant as another publication

Thanks! Chess Informant is a good suggestion.  I happened to get an email from ChessBase today announcing the release of the 2022 edition of their Opening Encyclopaedia.  According to ChessBase's description, it has over 1300 articles covering the entire range of openings.  I suspect some of the articles and opening surveys were originally in ChessBase magazine.  If anyone has the Encyclopaedia (or earlier editions of it), I'd appreciate your comments on its utility.

IP Logged

mattchess

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 04/10/22 at 16:08:28
Post Tools
mattchess wrote on 02/14/22 at 20:37:44:
This is a real shame.  Other than ChessPublishing itself my only other thought is ChessBase Magazine which has great annotated games (as well as videos).

I forgot to mention Chess Informant as another publication

IP Logged

Nernstian59

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 04/02/22 at 20:40:53
Post Tools
Some sample pages from the final New in Chess Yearbook (#142) have been posted on the NiC website.  One of these has a note from the publisher, Remmelt Otten, which presents three recommendations for readers seeking to fill the void left by the demise of the Yearbooks:
1) New in Chess opening monographs and repertoire books
2) Chessable opening courses
3) G-Chess (for its opening search tool and collection of past Yearbook opening surveys)

There's no hint of a successor to the Yearbook, but the slim hope I mentioned in Reply #10 hasn't been explicitly ruled out. 

IP Logged

FMCharless

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 03/15/22 at 02:00:33
Post Tools
Nernstian59 wrote on 03/15/22 at 00:24:32:
I emailed New in Chess inquiring if they had any intention of carrying on with the opening surveys in some form other than the Yearbooks.  Their reply was that there were no plans to continue the surveys at the moment, though they were "still considering the options".  So there may be a bit of hope remaining for a successor of some sort, but it doesn't appear promising.

pretty interesting, its a good service/product hopefully it stays alive somehow.

IP Logged

Nernstian59

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 03/15/22 at 00:24:32
Post Tools
I emailed New in Chess inquiring if they had any intention of carrying on with the opening surveys in some form other than the Yearbooks.  Their reply was that there were no plans to continue the surveys at the moment, though they were "still considering the options".  So there may be a bit of hope remaining for a successor of some sort, but it doesn't appear promising.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #9 - 02/18/22 at 13:46:52
Post Tools
I don't know how much they cost, but it wouldn't surprise me if one style of data is discontinued in order to present it again in a new and "modernized" format that just happens to cost more even though it is basically the same data. Funny how those coincidences can happen.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo