Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Invasion of Ukraine (Read 6009 times)
cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Re: Invasion of Ukraine
Reply #41 - 04/16/22 at 12:21:58
Post Tools
I still hold with deleting them. As for Bibs' most recent comment above, many non-chess forums I have belonged to in the past simply forbid politics, religion, etc. in *ALL* areas, not just in chit-chat. A banner over the board index and/or homepage could state this plainly. Further, such a phrase could be attached to all membership applications requiring agreement to same in order to post. A de facto agreement already exists with regard to such things as offensive language. By their nature, Trolls will always seek admittance since they cannot operate without it. Therefore, some manner of vigilance and enforcement is necessary. I am content to live with the decisions of the Mods. It is their job after all.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #40 - 04/16/22 at 11:22:23
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/15/22 at 08:17:29:
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/14/22 at 19:27:57:
In general I am against deleting posts and threads. It creates a bit of a knowledge vacuum where some future new poster can't see the sort of stuff that is not allowed. It would be better to tag the posts with "account banned" or some such

Ok, that's reasonable, I will leave them alone for now, but if anyone wishes to see any of them deleted just send me a PM.

I see that point, but I am not sure the next non-chess trolling muppet would search for other examples of systematic irrelevance.

I'd say to just purge. Flush.

I don't see the point of the non-chess part anyhow. Never did. Just invites such nonsense. If I want to talk about Benoni theory, I don't go to a site about contemporary politics, or about 17th century aristocractic gardening, or whatever. Likewise should hold. Bin the section.

Chess anyone...?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #39 - 04/15/22 at 08:17:29
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/14/22 at 19:27:57:
In general I am against deleting posts and threads. It creates a bit of a knowledge vacuum where some future new poster can't see the sort of stuff that is not allowed. It would be better to tag the posts with "account banned" or some such

Ok, that's reasonable, I will leave them alone for now, but if anyone wishes to see any of them deleted just send me a PM.

IP Logged

Mikhail_Golubev

Reply #38 - 04/15/22 at 04:20:37
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/14/22 at 09:55:25:
I would also like to delete his posts, does anyone have any objections?

I think that it's up to admins, Tony. Whatever decision will be fine with me. Smiley

IP Logged

Mikhail_Golubev

Reply #37 - 04/14/22 at 20:40:35
Post Tools
Quote:
I've been studying Governments for 13 years <...>

Please tell all this to someone else. As a political activist for many years, starting with participation in the organising committee of the 2013/2014 Euromaidan in Odessa, I know many Ukrainian politicians personally. Ex.prime minister Goncharuk, Saakashvili, Mustafa Nayem (who essentially started the all-Ukrainian Euromaidan in Kiev), Grytsenko, even Nadya Savchenko, and many many others.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #36 - 04/14/22 at 19:27:57
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/14/22 at 09:55:25:
I would also like to delete his posts, does anyone have any objections?

In general I am against deleting posts and threads. It creates a bit of a knowledge vacuum where some future new poster can't see the sort of stuff that is not allowed. It would be better to tag the posts with "account banned" or some such. Locking threads occasionally is also okay. And I doubt the "go to hell" Ukrainians give two figs about the deletion or retention of posts by SteveUK.

Of course it is your call in the end.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #35 - 04/14/22 at 14:21:31
Post Tools
I was ready to write something like "don't feed the troll", but maybe it is not necessary anymore.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #34 - 04/14/22 at 13:16:07
Post Tools
No objection from me either, but on the contrary strong support. What really galled me, even more than the conspiracy tosh called out by Bibs and recommendation of the vicious website “Bitchute” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitChute), was the suggestion that Putin wishes he’d slaughtered the Ukrainian army in their beds – since in context that read to me as if “SteveUK” himself wishes it had been so.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 04/14/22 at 12:31:14
Post Tools
Hi.

No objection from me. Just if possible making sure it's not a hack would be prudent given the sheer amount of talking points from Putin's propaganda machine spewed out.

In general I think there should always in a serious forum be some kind of ratio between how much a user is claiming about things (especially serious things) and how much he or she sort of tries to back up whatever is stated. With the ideal being 1:1 or at least near and attempts, even flawed ones, potentially giving some kind of part credit. With very few attempts to back up stuff said, it does become extraordinarily hard for others in any discussion to sort of relate to the person making claim after claim. Threads thus basically get derailed. That's not good.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #32 - 04/14/22 at 12:27:43
Post Tools
None. Chit-Chat is the place for personal opinions, but even there it is assumed that whatever your opinions may be, your main purpose for joining was chess.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #31 - 04/14/22 at 09:55:25
Post Tools
I have decided to delete the SteveUK account as it is clear he is not here to discuss chess openings. I would also like to delete his posts, does anyone have any objections?

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 04/14/22 at 06:47:38
Post Tools
@SteveUK

Yes of course you know things hardly anybody knows...

Facts and truth...

You seem to know Putin personally?
Maybe send him a message that it is not quite carefully considered if you bomb schools, hospitals, civilian shelters?
Or is that fake news and being distorted by the mainstream media?

IP Logged

SteveUK
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/14/22 at 06:10:48
Post Tools
Yes of course, we here know nothing about Ukraine

I've been studying Governments for 13 years - I learned a lot of things about the UK government that hardly anybody in the UK know

I also know a lot of things about the USA government that hardly anybody in the USA know

Fact is, the mainstream news simply parrot what the governments and NGOs want them to report - things that they don't want you to know get censored and deleted

Truth comes out eventually if you look in the right places for it

Putin is ex KGB - which says a lot about him, but he is also an excellent chess player - he does nothing without careful consideration

IP Logged

Mikhail_Golubev

Reply #28 - 04/14/22 at 05:28:59
Post Tools
Quote:
What? Only biased pro Ukrainian trolls get to write?

Yes. Because you are on the side of the fundamental inhumanity and the war crimes.

Quote:
Conveniently, nobody is talking about the thousands of men, women, and children killed over an 8 year

Why do you think that nobody is talking? It's a common knowledge in Ukraine that about 14,000 people including civilians died in the Donbass war in 8 years (very few people in 2020, 2021; majority of people died in the active phase of events, 2014-2015). But who's responsible if not putin who organised this war, starting with the annexation of Crimea, followed by his announcement of the nonsensical "Novorossiya", sending to us terrorist groups, like the one of the infamous Girkin, making the laughable fake referendums, and invading with Russian regular forces eventually. Ukraine was not ready for all this - our fault, but every country has rights to defend itself, and after the annexation of Crimea by putin it was crystal clear that no more territories will be given to him without our armed resistance. Everyone can compare what Ukraine did in Donbass to what Russia did (twice!) in Chechnya, and make conclusions which government is as humanistic as it gets in such situations, and which isn't.

Quote:
There is a lot of bad stuff regarding Ukraine that is not being reported by the mainstream media - I doubt even the population of Ukraine have any idea of what has been going on there

Yes of course, we here know nothing about Ukraine, and only you in the middle of nowhere know why putin can insist that he may have rights to send his army to occupy our lands and kill Ukrainians.

IP Logged

SteveUK
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/13/22 at 17:04:43
Post Tools
Re.
In 2014 putin annexed Crimea

Yes, he did - after the population of Crimea voted to re-join Russia in a referendum

Re.
in 2022 putin eventually sent all his army to kill us Ukrainians only because we want to live in democracy and not under fascist regimes like Russia and Belarus have.

If he had sent all his army, it would all have been over in less than a week - and Ukrain has plenty of facists - they openly march about with flags

Re.
I'm really not sure whether the freedom of speech for the pro-putin trolls is justified.

What? Only biased pro Ukrainian trolls get to write?

Conveniently, nobody is talking about the thousands of men, women, and children killed over an 8 year period by Ukrainian forces - because they chose to break away from Ukraine

There is a lot of bad stuff regarding Ukraine that is not being reported by the mainstream media - I doubt even the population of Ukraine have any idea of what has been going on there

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo