Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Kings Indian by Cheparinov on ModernChess (Read 1164 times)
FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Kings Indian by Cheparinov on ModernChess
Reply #10 - 10/25/22 at 18:27:55
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 10/25/22 at 05:10:04:
I recall that as "Uhlmann"

I recall that too. Perhaps I was mistaken in calling it the Fischer line.

"Against the fianchetto: Fischer with 8.dxe5 dxe5." That is a noteworthy divide as both 8...dxe5 and 8...Nxe5 have their proponents.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #9 - 10/25/22 at 05:10:04
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 10/24/22 at 15:46:12:
Fischer (...Nc6 and ...e5)

I recall that as "Uhlmann" (from the Barden/Hartston/Keene book of yore, I think). Though as far as I know he never played the currently-favored 8. d5 Nb8. (In the first edition of ECO in the late 1970s, he gave 8...Nb8, as well as 8...Ne7, as leading to a slight advantage for White.)
« Last Edit: 10/25/22 at 14:22:05 by kylemeister »  

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 10/25/22 at 04:09:13
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 10/24/22 at 15:46:12:
One hopes that simply means that there is light at the end of the tunnel, not that one has to learn 37 moves. If the line promises equal chances, then there may be many routes to that result. You and your opponent will probably find another way to get to an equal or unbalanced position.

I you do happen to buy Vol 2, perhaps you could indicate which line he chooses, e.g., Panno (...Nc6 and ...a6), Fischer (...Nc6 and ...e5), Yugoslav (...c5), Classical (...Nbd7 and ...e5), or something with an early ...c6, etc.

Against the fianchetto: Fischer with 8.dxe5 dxe5.

As far as reaching the "light at the end of the tunnel" is concerned I am not sure how narrow the path is. I would need to dedicate at least a weekend to digest his analysis. Not sure when I can take the time. Also I have no idea how difficult White's job of finding challenging moves is.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 10/24/22 at 15:46:12
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 10/24/22 at 13:20:11:
arrives at equality at move 37.

One hopes that simply means that there is light at the end of the tunnel, not that one has to learn 37 moves. If the line promises equal chances, then there may be many routes to that result. You and your opponent will probably find another way to get to an equal or unbalanced position.

I you do happen to buy Vol 2, perhaps you could indicate which line he chooses, e.g., Panno (...Nc6 and ...a6), Fischer (...Nc6 and ...e5), Yugoslav (...c5), Classical (...Nbd7 and ...e5), or something with an early ...c6, etc.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 10/24/22 at 13:20:11
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 10/24/22 at 12:28:40:
tp2205 wrote on 10/24/22 at 04:56:29:
Could you give a bit more detail. What impresses you (explanations, selection of lines, depth of analysis, originality)?

I was referring to vol 1 at the time, though the comment probably applies to vol 2 also. In both cases, all I have is the sample game, which you might want to go through yourself. I have not listened to the video, but you might want to do so.

I have Cheparinov's work on the Classical Sicilian and it is very good (even if one line remains a problem for me). It included a lot of new material for me and I have followed that opening for a long time.

Cheparinov is a very strong grandmaster who is also up on his theory. I have high expectations for his work on the King's Indian.

Cheparinov probably has good material on the the fianchetto variation. My concern is that there is no line that I would find satisfactory for someone at my level. If one has to play at the 2600 level, that is way beyond me! However, it that is the case, no author will have a remedy.

I agree that there is quite a bit of new stuff but I found the explanations a bit on the short side. I will probably end up buying part 2 as well but for somebody like me several of the lines are somewhat impractical. For instance he goes for the exchange sacrifice after 7...exd4 8. ♘xd4 ♖e8 9. f3 c6!? 10. ♔h1 ( 10… d5! 11. cxd5 cxd5 12. ♗g5 ♘c6 13. ♗b5 h6!) and arrives at equality at move 37.

So while I agree is lines are interesting and often new (at least for me) I find them a bit impractical at my level. Also, I wish he would give the reason for his evaluations more often.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 10/24/22 at 12:28:40
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 10/24/22 at 04:56:29:
Could you give a bit more detail. What impresses you (explanations, selection of lines, depth of analysis, originality)?

I was referring to vol 1 at the time, though the comment probably applies to vol 2 also. In both cases, all I have is the sample game, which you might want to go through yourself. I have not listened to the video, but you might want to do so.

I have Cheparinov's work on the Classical Sicilian and it is very good (even if one line remains a problem for me). It included a lot of new material for me and I have followed that opening for a long time.

Cheparinov is a very strong grandmaster who is also up on his theory. I have high expectations for his work on the King's Indian.

Cheparinov probably has good material on the the fianchetto variation. My concern is that there is no line that I would find satisfactory for someone at my level. If one has to play at the 2600 level, that is way beyond me! However, it that is the case, no author will have a remedy.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 10/24/22 at 04:56:29
Post Tools
FreeRepublic wrote on 10/23/22 at 21:36:27:
Volume 2 is now available at Modern-Chess. It is currently half price. I am impressed with his work on the Classical Sicilian.

Volume 2 includes the Saemisch with ...c5. I am curious to know what he recommends against the fianchetto.

FreeRepublic wrote on 09/24/22 at 12:55:36:
I just played through the sample game and was impressed.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 10/23/22 at 21:36:27
Post Tools
Volume 2 is now available at Modern-Chess. It is currently half price. I am impressed with his work on the Classical Sicilian.

Volume 2 includes the Saemisch with ...c5. I am curious to know what he recommends against the fianchetto.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/24/22 at 12:55:36
Post Tools
I just played through the sample game and was impressed.

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 08/25/22 at 14:30:58
Post Tools
After a preliminary review, I think he did a very good job with the Classical Sicilian.

I'm waiting to see what he has in part 2 of the KID, before deciding whether or not to buy.

IP Logged

mxstoe
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Kings Indian by Cheparinov on ModernChess
08/14/22 at 12:35:35
Post Tools
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone already had a look at this. What are his recommendations? Apparently he tends to go for sidelines, might be interesting.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo