Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Petrosian's off-beat KID defense (Read 370 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Petrosian's off-beat KID defense
Reply #1 - 09/04/22 at 01:32:09
Post Tools
You can check the games of GM Duncan Suttles, who often played the King's Fianchetto, and sometimes with ...Ng8-h6. One interesting game of his, Benko - Suttles, 1964. https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1135780

The moves you gave are solid and will resist a direct attack. As a *system*, however, they have the defect of not being very active. I found it effective to play on the queenside, analogous to the "long variation" of the King's Indian Attack : 1.d4 d6 2.Nf3 g6 3.c4 Bg7 4.Nc3 Nh6 5.e3 f6 6.Be2 Nf7 7.O-O O-O 8.b4 e5 9.a4 Nd7 10.b5 - or perhaps 10.a5 first - this is white's only tricky decision in this variation.

Of course, black was under no pressure to make the same moves, and GM Suttles would certainly have reacted differently to white's plan. The big advantage of the Modern Defense is flexibility. If black plays it as a system, they give that up.

IP Logged

FizzySoda
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Petrosian's off-beat KID defense
09/03/22 at 16:55:50
Post Tools
Hey All,

Are there any GM's (current or historic) who have played the following setup?

1..d6 2..g6 3..Bg7 4..Nh6 5..f6 6..Nf7 7..0-0 8..Nd7 9..e5?

I'm not sure about the move order. I could have sworn that I saw petrosian play some games in this setup, but I can't find them.
Anyway, just curious if anyone has some information about this setup.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo