Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy" vs. "My System" (Read 1930 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: "Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy" vs. "My System"
Reply #11 - 10/10/22 at 11:17:58
Post Tools
I think "Simple Chess" by GM Michael Stean (once a second/analyst for Viktor Korchnoi) is very instructive, conveying important middlegame concepts with well-chosen examples, all clearly explained.

This book also has the great virtue of being quite short!

By the way, there is an English version of Tarrasch's "300 Games", but I found many mistakes in the translation, some quite serious.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #10 - 10/09/22 at 06:54:08
Post Tools
Silman's book is great, but also Chess Strategy for Club Players from Herman Grooten.

IP Logged

pnerd
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 10/09/22 at 01:16:43
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 10/09/22 at 00:38:59:
The Game of Chess is also good

I wouldn't say it's about strategy specifically, though. It's pretty well balanced among endgames, tactics, and strategy.

So, for an intro to strategy, you've recommended Silman's "How to Reassess Your Chess". Do you have any other recommendations for introductory books on strategy? Is My System good as an intro?
« Last Edit: 10/09/22 at 17:01:03 by pnerd »  

"Life is too short for chess." - Byron

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #8 - 10/09/22 at 00:38:59
Post Tools
The Game of Chess is also good; the middlegame section contains a bunch of typical positions featuring representative sequences--not of the "puzzle rush" variety, though, but a little longer. As Watson himself said of it, it gives you a sense of how chess is actually played by good players.

I wouldn't say it's about strategy specifically, though. It's pretty well balanced among endgames, tactics, and strategy. I would skip the openings section, whose reccomendations are about 100 years old.

IP Logged

pnerd
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 10/09/22 at 00:20:15
Post Tools

ReneDescartes wrote on 10/07/22 at 02:51:59:
Incredibly, Die Moderne Schachpartie has not been translated into English--I've even thought of doing it myself.

Is Tarrasch's The Game of Chess any good for an introduction to strategy? It apparently has a chapter on middle game.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #6 - 10/08/22 at 12:27:50
Post Tools
I would like to add what I consider THE best single sentence piece of chess advice ever given. Not because I have an expert knowledge of all the chess advice, but because it goes to the absolute heart of the challenges I believe all players face. The writer was Tim Harding, a player/writer who was more active in the 70's and 80's. If any know the exact source please enlighten me. He said:

Quote:
Before you can learn to play chess well, you must first learn to stop playing badly.

I think this is so great because many people will just convert this to, "If you want to play well, don't play badly." But that completely misses the point (IMHO) that your blunders, your ego, and your various plateaus you must cross on the way will always be your greatest challenges. You can't just "think" about what is good play, you have to learn it.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #5 - 10/07/22 at 02:51:59
Post Tools
I agree completely with Dink Heckler. Watson is inappropriate to learn strategy initially. What book would I use instead?

Depending on your level, you could learn the strategy and positional-play chapters from the Yusupov Orange Series books (those chapters are deliberately not adjacent, but Yusupov states the book's chapters don't have to be done in order).Silman's Reassess Your Chess is excellent--either the third or fourth editions. Hellsten's Mastering Chess Strategy is a little more advanced, but he's also a good teacher and writer). Sakaev is still more advanced; he says his book is for 2000+ FIDE players. I haven't read Grooten.

You can't do better than Tarrasch's Die Moderne Schachpartie, which is an annotated game collection with comments designed to be maximally instructive for amateur players (unlike his 300 Games of Chess, annotated for better players). It doesn't matter that computers occasionally find a hole in Tarrasch's line--they usually don't, and even when they occasionally do, Tarrash shows what a good player thinks about strategically and tactically. As for My System, Nimzovich's writing is even more brilliant, with many unforgettable formulations that will stick in your mind ("the passed pawn is a criminal who must be kept under lock and key"), and many ideas, such as rooks on the seventh rank, blockading passed pawns, overprotection, etc. that have now become common currency. He also shows a lot of useful typical maneuvers. The game subvariations are problematic, though, and not just because computers can refute them: he sometimes wrote fantasy lines to illustrate his concepts. So maybe skip the detailed analyses but go through the main lines for the ideas and striking formulations--that's what is recommended by Shereshevsky.

Smyslov said Tarrasch's book made a tremendous impression on him as a young man and credits both it and Nimzovich's book with helping to form his style. The best Englisn translation of My System by far is the New In Chess edition, also available for their electronic reader with live board. Incredibly, Die Moderne Schachpartie has not been translated into English--I've even thought of doing it myself.

One more thing. If it's not a rarity that you blunder pieces by hanging them or losing them to very simple tactics, then even correctly learning strategic concepts will distract you from the fundamental and difficult, skill that is the foundation of being a competent chess player: learning to falsify your move. That means "sitting on your hands" (Tarrasch) and looking for ways your opponent can refute the move you are about to make, before touching the piece--every single time.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #4 - 10/06/22 at 21:08:15
Post Tools
No, it isn't a good introduction to strategy. Watson's book is more about when to break the classical rules, but you need to understand the rules well first before you start trying to break them.

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

pnerd
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 10/06/22 at 17:27:09
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 10/06/22 at 12:46:31:
Watson's book compared modern play to what Nimzowitsch wrote. He makes it clear what Nimzowitsch said when explaining the difference with what people do now. It's excellent and you don't need Nimzowitsch first.

Is Watson's book good as an introduction to chess strategy? Or do I need to read something else first?

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #2 - 10/06/22 at 12:46:31
Post Tools
Nimzowitsch's book is about a century old and was pretty eccentric at the time. Don't expect useful training material, but rather idiosyncratic and sometimes witty commentary on chess positions. It's not necessary at all but I found it amusing.

Watson's book compared modern play to what Nimzowitsch wrote. He makes it clear what Nimzowitsch said when explaining the difference with what people do now. It's excellent and you don't need Nimzowitsch first.

IP Logged

Kerangali

I am every one and every
zero

Reply #1 - 10/06/22 at 12:26:03
Post Tools
It should pay out to read Nimzowitsch first (likely available in free pdf or epub), since he uses many strange expressions that have become chess lore, such as Prophylaxis, Minority Attack, Leucopenia...

EDIT: My System is now free of rights, you can check it here:  https://archive.org/details/my-system-2020
« Last Edit: 10/06/22 at 16:20:38 by Kerangali »  

IP Logged

pnerd
YaBB Newbies

"Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy" vs. "My System"
10/06/22 at 09:29:53
Post Tools
Is it necessary to read Nimzowitsch' s "My System" before reading Watson's "Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy"? Or is reading the latter sufficient (by which I mean to ask if Watson's book contains all the knowledge of "My System" in it)?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo