Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Book on how to punish opponent's opening mistakes? (Read 1732 times)
Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Re: Book on how to punish opponent's opening mistakes?
Reply #10 - 11/05/22 at 20:41:31
Post Tools
Some good book suggestions. A quote popped into my head, I think by Bronstein, to the effect of "Don't try to punish a bad move because it is usually the lead in to another" !

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #9 - 11/05/22 at 12:35:51
Post Tools
As I suggested you are getting lots of book ideas. Another way to approach your issue is to record your games and begin analysing them, first on your own and then via a computer program like Fritz or Shredder. The computer will find the poor play instantly and you can use the analysis functions to see how it would have responded. Then look to see how you might have played better. But whatever path you follow, the basic advice given by Dink is the way to go: Keep working at becoming a better player. Seeking to punish can lure you into magical thinking that there is some "standard reply." Take it as it comes and make the best move.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 11/05/22 at 11:01:41
Post Tools
pnerd wrote on 11/04/22 at 16:08:26:
That is what I am looking for. Can you recommend any books that teaches how to do ing this will be welcome.

Better than any book mentioned here is Herman Grooten's Chess Strategy for Club Players. It's about the middle game, but the principles are the same.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #7 - 11/05/22 at 10:20:38
Post Tools
The idea of punishment is a dubious one, by the way; there's no better way to lose your objectivity than to get into the headspace of trying to 'punish' your opponent's poor play.

Just play good moves and the rest will hopefully follow  Smiley

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 11/05/22 at 02:20:50
Post Tools
katar wrote on 11/04/22 at 18:29:12:
I suggest a game collection of miniatures, such as Winning Quickly at Chess by John Nunn.
For a lower-rated audience, you might consider Master vs. Amateur by Euwe.

Euwe and Meiden is great provided you are OK with descriptive notation.  Heisman's World's Most Instructive Amateur Game Book is another one with even more explanation of how to finish a game against amateurs.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 11/04/22 at 23:25:34
Post Tools
katar wrote on 11/04/22 at 18:29:12:

Irrelevant aside:  the book includes a game played by Euwe against Jorden van Foreest's great-great-grandfather Arnold.  The opening moves (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Qf6 5. d4 ed 6. e5) remind me of How to Open a Chess Game -- Larsen addressed that line in that book.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #4 - 11/04/22 at 18:29:12
Post Tools
I suggest a game collection of miniatures, such as Winning Quickly at Chess by John Nunn.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

pnerd
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 11/04/22 at 16:08:26
Post Tools

MNb wrote on 11/04/22 at 13:05:12:
5. Identify the weaknesses in your opponent's position - or inflict them upon him/her - and press them mercilessly.

That is what I am looking for. Can you recommend any books that teaches how to do that?

cathexis wrote on 11/04/22 at 13:38:12:
3. "Even if I had no plan, at this moment, what are his greatest weaknesses and how may I best exploit them?"
Also, there are many books and videos out there on the more general subject of "Evaluation of Positions".

That is exactly what I am looking for. Any book recommendations regarding this will be welcome.

"Life is too short for chess." - Byron

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #2 - 11/04/22 at 13:38:12
Post Tools
FWIW,

I would ask you to consider something else then your original question instead. No matter how sound or unsound your opponent's move(s) may be, you are always left with a position for you to evaluate. As per the famous quote by Bobby, "in chess all that matters is good moves." Rather than searching for a general approach to the specific problem of poor moves by the opponent, you could instead ask yourself questions like: 1. "What was my plan to begin with?" 2. "How does my opponent's move affect my plan?" 3. "Even if I had no plan, at this moment, what are his greatest weaknesses and how may I best exploit them?" IOW, I am suggesting the larger subject of Postional Evaluation already covers this and other moves by your opponent. Regardless of your oponent's soundness or unsoundness the result is the same - a position. Hence, your response is always similar: Understand your plan, evaluate the current position, consider which is your strongest response. This removes feelings of uncertainty, confusion, or even anxiety and replaces them with a process of assessment, planning, and response.

This is not an algorithmic "If this, than that" move for move type of response to your question, but it may be the better answer. Also, there are many books and videos out there on the more general subject of "Evaluation of Positions". I am sure others will chime in here. Hope this helps!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 11/04/22 at 13:05:12
Post Tools
I learned it the hard way.
1. Unless you find a clear cut path to victory don't try to refute it.
2. Build a nice, solid centre.
3. Decide for every single one of your pieces what is the optimal square.
4. Decide where to castle - if there are no immediate objections opposite castling will be in your advantage.
5. Identify the weaknesses in your opponent's position - or inflict them upon him/her - and press them mercilessly.
6. And don't take excessive risks, because that's exactly what your opponent wants. Brilliant tactics usually are useless.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

pnerd
YaBB Newbies

Book on how to punish opponent's opening mistakes?
11/04/22 at 00:58:21
Post Tools
How can I take advantage when my opponent doesn't follow sound opening principles? I sometimes see that they are moving the same piece again and again, or making repeated pawn moves. Those are usually supposed to be bad opening moves. But I can't seem to be able to capitalize on their mistakes or don't know what to do. What would be a good book that deals with how to take advantage of your opponent's opening mistakes?

I'm not looking for books on specific openings or lines because at my level, most people don't play specific opening lines for more than 3-4 moves at most. I'm looking for books that discuss (preferably with a lot of verbal explanations) how to punish your opponent's mistakes in the opening.

"Life is too short for chess." - Byron

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo