Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Why Ra3 in main line Bayonet? (Read 1721 times)
Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Why Ra3 in main line Bayonet?
Reply #6 - 03/17/23 at 10:47:16
Post Tools
Placing a rook on the third rank is a main idea in the Zukertort, as well.

IP Logged

Frankly

The power to make men
happy or to drive them
mad

Reply #5 - 03/17/23 at 09:42:21
Post Tools
Excellent, thanks for the trouble, people.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 03/17/23 at 03:47:06
Post Tools
I'm by no means an expert in this variation, but white wants to play a4-a5, and if black plays ...b7-b6 white needs the rook guarded in order to answer a5xb6. There are other moves to guard the rook, e.g. Bc1-b2, Bc1-a3, Nd2-b3, it just so happens that Ra1-a3 is more generally useful for reasons given already.

I think the black rook goes to a6 for the same reason the white rook goes to a3. In most scenarios the rooks will be traded and it won't matter from/to which square. But in some hypothetical case it might be better to double rooks, which is easier if the rook is not on the back row. Also, notice that on a6 the black rook defends the d6 pawn, and that's enough reasons for one move.

IP Logged

RosemarysBaby
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/16/23 at 12:44:15
Post Tools
I'd say there isn't an immediate idea, it's just a generally useful positional move.
a3 is a safe square. More importantly, the rook has influence and mobility along the third rank, which will be fully cleared after Nb5. The rook could play along the b-file, just be useful by defending f3,g3,h3, or if the position opens up, say with f5->exf5, maybe even shift to the kingside.

IP Logged

Frankly

The power to make men
happy or to drive them
mad

Reply #2 - 03/16/23 at 11:37:25
Post Tools
Sorry, here are the moves:

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7. 0-0 Nc6 8. d5 Ne7 9. b4 Nh4 10. Re1 Bf4 11. Bf1 a5 12. bxa5 Rxa5 13. a4 (or after Nd2 first) c5 14. Ra3
This also appears to be played if 13. Nd2 c5 14. a4 Ra6 15. Ra3 - here I suppose it prepares doubling to defend the a pawn as Ra6 suggests doubling to attack it - so does this mean the Ra3 before Ra6 is simply prophylaxis against Ra6 doubling and eventually attacking the a pawn?

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/16/23 at 08:59:43
Post Tools
Frankly wrote on 03/16/23 at 08:12:25:
Apologies if this is addressed in another topic - not obviously so after a trawl of the 7 pages of topics on KID classical. If it is, please gently direct me to the discussion.

If not: in the main Bayonet line with Nh5, Re1, Nf4, Bf1 etc, after Black plays a5, White takes the a pawn, advances his own a pawn after the Black rook takes, and then plays Ra3. This is the main line. Can someone explain the thinking behind Ra3? Does it prepare later doubling of rooks and pushing of a pawn? Protecting the loose knight? Something to do with b4 square? The rook looks weird on a3 so early on, and I don't see any obvious immediate idea. It's also interesting that the Black rook goes back to a6 rather than a8.

Grateful for insights.

Could you give the moves (not as prose but preferably in algebraic notation)? Sometimes Ra3 is used to defend the knight on c3 to prepare Bxf4 so that exf4 does not come with tempo but without the concrete moves it is somewhat difficult to answer your question.

IP Logged

Frankly

The power to make men
happy or to drive them
mad

Why Ra3 in main line Bayonet?
03/16/23 at 08:12:25
Post Tools
Apologies if this is addressed in another topic - not obviously so after a trawl of the 7 pages of topics on KID classical. If it is, please gently direct me to the discussion.

If not: in the main Bayonet line with Nh5, Re1, Nf4, Bf1 etc, after Black plays a5, White takes the a pawn, advances his own a pawn after the Black rook takes, and then plays Ra3. This is the main line. Can someone explain the thinking behind Ra3? Does it prepare later doubling of rooks and pushing of a pawn? Protecting the loose knight? Something to do with b4 square? The rook looks weird on a3 so early on, and I don't see any obvious immediate idea. It's also interesting that the Black rook goes back to a6 rather than a8.

Grateful for insights.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo