Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The anti-anti-Alapin Gambit (Read 1978 times)
bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Re: The anti-anti-Alapin Gambit
Reply #4 - 07/22/23 at 13:15:08
Post Tools
I have tried the line as black in both over the board and in Correspondence Chess and the line is actually not silly at all. Black gets good play. In practical over the board many declines the gambit.

IP Logged

George Jempty

Participant 1996 US Corres.
Champ. Qualifying Rd.

Reply #3 - 03/24/23 at 12:35:54
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 03/20/23 at 08:51:14:
Nf3 not Nc3 I presume you mean? And not white castling twice on move 7 and then move 8 Smiley

SF14's main line once you give it up to move 5, I think by 'harmless' they mean the much weaker not threatening a refutation, which is true.

I mostly find it rather depressing that we can now have a book just about one gambit vs the c3 Sicilian.

Yeah I think I might have caught some of my errors in the meantime.  Rather than trying to refute Black's play I'm content to follow opening principles, for a change, for me.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #2 - 03/20/23 at 11:38:49
Post Tools
I suddenly got intersted in the book. My local Chess store did not have it found it at other site. The idea of playing a gambit might work in blitz and bullet but I dont think I will play in longer tile controls or in Correspondence Chess. There are books on every line now like didicated white repertour books on Exchange French.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/20/23 at 08:51:14
Post Tools
Nf3 not Nc3 I presume you mean? And not white castling twice on move 7 and then move 8 Smiley

SF14's main line once you give it up to move 5, I think by 'harmless' they mean the much weaker not threatening a refutation, which is true.

I mostly find it rather depressing that we can now have a book just about one gambit vs the c3 Sicilian.

IP Logged

George Jempty

Participant 1996 US Corres.
Champ. Qualifying Rd.

The anti-anti-Alapin Gambit
03/19/23 at 11:10:15
Post Tools
In their book "The Anti-Alapin Gambit" authors Hansen and Lakdawala dismiss 5.Nc3 after 2.c3 d5 3.exd5 Nf6?! (my evaluation) 4.Bb5+ Nbd7 as "harmless".  Even if they are right, what's the harm in White preparing to both 1) castle and 2) d4, with one move.

But the authors are wrong, Nf3 is not necessarily harmless.  The following line is by no means forced for Black, but certainly plausible: 5...a6  6.Be2 Nxd5 7.0-0 cxd4 8.0-0!  This position is not unlike the one reached after 2.c3 Nf6 3.e5 Nd5 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nc3 so thematically White will be in familiar territory.  He has a large lead in development, and Black's ...Nd7 is misplaced.

The book's absurdly hyperbolic subtitle "Death to the 2.c3 Sicilian" seems to me to be patently incorrect.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo