Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How to learn endgames? (Read 1027 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: How to learn endgames?
Reply #2 - 08/28/23 at 23:33:27
Post Tools
AndyFeng35 wrote on 08/27/23 at 02:32:29:
How do you approach studying chess endgames effectively?  Embarrassed

As others have advised, it has to be a combination of theory and practice (and diligent study of your practice).

There are now so many decent books on the ending that it's very hard to choose (and therefore hard to go wrong I guess).

For "exact" (or "precise", or "theoretical") endings, the cut-down ('Fast track') version of the Dvoretsky manual might appeal. 

I'm sure that most ambitious players only need to study one such book.

Even for practical endings (i.e. endings that are not yet  reducible to an "exact" ending) there is now a wide choice of good material out there, where once there was just Shereshevsky's "Endgame Strategy" and "Mastering the Edgame", plus Mednis's "Practical Endgame Lessons" (strongly recommended in its day by Dvoretsky). 

I can recommend De la Villa's fairly recent "100 Endgame patterns", since it's based mainly on his experience working as a coach to generations of promising Spanish juniors; he organises the material according to the typical patterns and themes that he's seen arising with some frequency in their games.

But as someone ('Katar' I think) wrote here a while ago, "The best endgame book is the one you actually read." 
"Many well-intentioned hobbyists have a collection of endgame-themed shelf ornaments.  The thicker ones can find utility as doorstops, or if hollowed out can securely store valuables."

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: How to learn endgames?
Reply #1 - 08/27/23 at 06:25:55
Post Tools
Most often recommended is working through (no, really!) a short list of endgame books. There have been several good discussions on this topic already. Here is one: Other elements are practical play, analysis of your own endgames, DVDs, online training tools, engine practice, coaching...; all mentioned in the link and also in some other threads here.

IP Logged

AndyFeng35
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

How to learn endgames?
08/27/23 at 02:32:29
Post Tools
How do you approach studying chess endgames effectively?  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo