Latest Updates:
Normal Topic In what age kids should start learning chess? (Read 972 times)
Kerangali

I am every one and every
zero

Re: In what age kids should start learning chess?
Reply #5 - 09/06/23 at 18:53:37
Post Tools
1) You don't want your kids to choke on swallowed pieces. Quite risky before 5-6 years.
2) There are countless examples of little prodigies (6-10 yr) overpressed beyond repair by their parents. Some became titled players (IM/GM), but is it worth it?
3) Prophylaxis is a part of chess where "the most important thing is not to be happy, but to make the other player unhappy". I wouldn't want to pass this kind of mindset to a young child Smiley
4) young players (10+) can learn very fast with the internet, see the rising 2600+ kids. By common knowledge, it takes ~10,000 hours to make a GM. You'd be surprised to see how easily kids achieve such elapsed time in their favorite games (say, Fortnite). [Also, if they spent such time with math, they would all have PhD at 14]

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/06/23 at 16:58:48
Post Tools
Hello.

It looks like the youngest kids even start getting rated when they are 5 (probably nearing 6) years old (born 2017). Assuming at least a year of chess development prior to playing rated tournaments it would seem like starting around 4,5 years old is certainly possible for some kids.

Have a nice day.
/CbT

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #3 - 08/29/23 at 09:08:06
Post Tools
Yes 3 years old is absolutely possible. I even published on my blog a picture of my own 3 year old son playing chess see https://chess-brabo.blogspot.com/2017/05/young-and-old.html

He just crossed 1900 fide but he still needs to climb further before he can beat his dad.  Grin

IP Logged

AndyFeng35
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 08/28/23 at 20:47:27
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 08/28/23 at 20:25:37:
I learned the moves at the age of 3. It was pre-internet so I never really played anyone except my dad until I was 7 or so, when I was good enough to come in second in the state championship for my age group two years in a row. (That might sound more impressive than it is; I doubt my strength was more than 1400 USCF.)

Unfortunately my father doesn't remember much about my early chess journey, and neither do I! I did read a lot. I'm glad I learned the game that early, but being young and immature probably contributed to me abandoning the game until I was an adult after I got that second silver medal (which felt like a huge failure, of course). I was old enough by that point to productively take lessons but I guess I had had enough.

I think my experience would have been quite different in modern times.

Wow! At the age of 3 years!!

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #1 - 08/28/23 at 20:25:37
Post Tools
I learned the moves at the age of 3. It was pre-internet so I never really played anyone except my dad until I was 7 or so, when I was good enough to come in second in the state championship for my age group two years in a row. (That might sound more impressive than it is; I doubt my strength was more than 1400 USCF.)

Unfortunately my father doesn't remember much about my early chess journey, and neither do I! I did read a lot. I'm glad I learned the game that early, but being young and immature probably contributed to me abandoning the game until I was an adult after I got that second silver medal (which felt like a huge failure, of course). I was old enough by that point to productively take lessons but I guess I had had enough.

I think my experience would have been quite different in modern times.

IP Logged

AndyFeng35
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

In what age kids should start learning chess?
08/28/23 at 18:27:11
Post Tools
I began my chess journey at the age of 10, and I must admit, the game initially felt quite challenging Grin Grin Grin. I recall dedicating countless hours to mastering various openings, particularly the Sicilian Defense.
However, it's interesting to note that I recently came across a blog written by a grandmaster ( https://chess-grandmaster.com/ ) who suggests that children can start attending chess clubs as early as the age of 4:
"Children can start learning chess at a relatively young age, typically around 4 to 6 years old. At this age, they are often capable of understanding the basic rules of the game and can begin to grasp some fundamental concepts. However, the exact age at which a child should start learning chess can vary depending on the individual child's interest, attention span, and cognitive development."
I found this idea rather astonishing, to say the least! What are your thoughts on this matter?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo